Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor signal

bazzachazza
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently changed phones from a Blackberry 9700 to a Balckberry 9900 both of which are 3G enabled. I route the signal though a Sure Signal (a 9361 Home Cell V2-V). When a call is in progress the correct lights are showing on the Sure Signal with both the power and phone lights both lit. The phone is showing a full signal, and the 3G icon displayed. So according to both devices I should be able to conduct a phone call. However the signal can be clear and then fades on calls or I get various comments that I sound like I am in the bath or that I sound like Norman Collier (I am old enough to know what he sounded like and the comparison is not flattering). I have also put the sim into a Nokia E71 with the same affect.

I am rapidly losing faith in the sure signal can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My money would be on Livedrive causing the problems. Can you pause it on all machines and leave yourself a voice-mail to hear the resulting audio quality? If that's good, switch Livedrive back on and repeat the experiment.

If Livedrive is the problem, can you then configure it to run only while you sleep (or something like that).

The other approach to try would be to enable Quality of Service (QoS) on your router - if your router supports QoS (not all do) - to give the SS priority over all other upstream traffic. [Which is, incidentally, what I have done to ensure decent upstream quality over my BB connection.]

Philip

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks for looking into it Philip.

People can now hear me perfectly which was the original problem.

I however, am now getting a problem hearing them. At first I thought it maybe because of them being in a poor area.

I have tried using the Sure Signal for a few days now and am getting it from all calls ans even from calls from land lines. Any ideas?

This is likely to be a similar problem, the other way around - namely that some activity on one or more of the devices connected to your network is 'downloading' something sufficient to interrupt you call.

Try switching everything but your SS 'off' so that there is no possibility of anything competing for bandwidth and make a call. If that is still poor the problem would appear to be beyond your control.

If you then get decent audio quality, try switching stuff back on progressively to identify where the culprit is ... other users downloading, watching iPlayer (or similar), automated updates or even frequent email checks could cause issues if your effective bandwidth is close enough to the limit.

As an aside, QoS on your router wouldn't help here since you would need the prioritisation on traffic sent to you. This would need to be provided by your ISP (and almost certainly isn't).

Philip

I have recently changed phones from a Samsung Europa to a Huawei Ascend G 300 and my old phone was really good with signal and with this it keeps dipping when I am at home. Do I need to upgrade my software?

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi klangton2012,

As this is a recent change whilst you've been at home, so we can confirm that it is the handset causing the issue rather than anything else, can you please follow our troubleshooting guide.  This will help remove everything else out of the equation and we'll be able to get you fully up and running quicker.

Thanks,

Phil