Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem connecting samsung s4 to sure signal mk 2

mousecalledjerr
4: Newbie
My mothers old vodafone smart 6 died so I replaced it with a refurbished vodafone samsung s4.

It works anywhere I have actual vodafone coverage but wil not connect to a vodafone sure signal, I have tried deregistering and reregistering but it won't connect, it sees the sure signal when I do a network search but says unable to register on selected network.

It's a major problem as where she lives there's no vodafone coverage apart from the sure signal, samsung suggested it may be a carrier network lock issue and suggested getting it unlocked by vodafone but they refuse to do this for 30 day's and want to charge £19.99 to unlock it after those 30 day's
7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

You are not required to have a phone unlocked to all networks for it to work on Vodafones Sure Signal. And to clarify Vodafone no longer charge for unlocking on Payg or Pay Monthly. 

If a person has to perform a sim swap which is to move from one sized SIM card to another size then with the sure signal its recommended to de register the number for a period of 24 hours and then re Regiter the number. 

Links

Sure signal FAQs

Sure signal troubleshooting guide.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

mousecalledjerr
This is a copy of the email vodafone sent me when I contacted them regarding getting it unlocked, I know that if it works on the vodafone network then in theory it should work with a sure signal as long as it's registered to it however I'm only following advice from the Samsung support centre as they suggested the carrier codes between masts and the sure signals might be slightly different.<br><br>From: "donotreply vodafone.com" &lt;donotreply vodafone.com&gt;<br>Date: Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 9:37 PM +0100<br>Subject: Unlocking your phone<br><br>Hi<br><br>To unlock your phone from our network you need to have been with us for at least 30 days. That means your SIM must have been used in your phone 30 days ago or longer. We insist on this as prevention against fraud.<br><br>What you need to do next<br><br>Once you've been with us for 30 days or more, simply fill in our online form again. It'll cost £19.99 to send you your network unlock code (NUC), so make sure you're in credit by at least that amount when you send your form.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Vodafone Customer Services Team<br><br>

It is correct that in order to unlock a phone via a Payg Vodafone account the phone and sim need to be used on the network for 30 days.

Making calls , not to 191 Customer service, sending texts and using data or topping up which latches the phones imei number to the Payg Account. 

This has been a recent change in connection to Unlocking Fees. 

I assure you that their is No Cost in regards to an Unlocking Fee. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

mousecalledjerr
That's good to here that there's no fee but it still means we're stuck with a useless device for 30 day's as it doesn't work without the sure signal.

I'm 99.99% sure that the issue is with the network lock on the s4 locking to the vodafone cell towers only and not allowing it to register to the sure signal, is there anyway vodafone can refresh the lock on the handset to towers and sure signals, I'd like to put the sim into my s4 to test my theory as I know it works with the sure signal but I don't want the 30 day's to start all over again

Strange question but I have a s4 that wont register to a sure signal (connects for emergency calls only) but works fine with normal masts, rather than waiting 30 days to get it unlocked, can the lock be reset as samsung think it's a problem with the cell id's being different between the masts and sure signals so a unlock / lock reset shoud solve it

Can a network lock be reapplied / refreshed to a handset rather than unlocking it, as I have a android handset thats locked to vodafone but needs the network lock reset / reapplied and I can't wait 30 day's to get it totally unlocked I can send the imei number and all the details in a pm

63johnw
Hi. If you are the original owner have a look here and follow the instructions.

If not and you cant get the original owner then its 30 days I am afraid.

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Setting-up-and-using-your-device/Unlock-your-phone/