Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem with VSS and BT Infinity

davidjh
4: Newbie

Hello, I'd be grateful for some help. I have had a few issues in the past with VSS but have so far been able to resolve them by searching and reading this forum, starting with the troubleshooting guide. This is the first time I've been unable to solve it myself.

Orginally I had a VSS and a BT line, and it worked fine though my upload speed was not sufficient to allow good mobile calls. I then upgraded to BT Infinity. It took some time to get it working, but eventually, by enabling port clamping, I managed to get the VSS to work. Calls dropped occasionally but were otherwise fine.

Yesterday we had a power cut. When power was restored the Home Hub came up fine, but the VSS shows flashing red signal and orange fourth signal. No amount of switching on and off seems to help.

Please can you help?

David 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am not sure what the set-up light sequence is, but I am pretty sure that the reset isn't working. I can hold the button down for up to a minute and the lights don't change at all. Do I need to turn the power off while I am doing the reset? Can you let me know exactly how I should do the reset and what I should see in terms of lights?

As I happens, I changed the LAN cable between the router and the VSS and it now works. Seems odd, since the previous cable worked fine, so it might be coincidence...

David

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi davidjh,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

DaveCD

Hello DavdCD

As I mentioned, I've looked at the thread but have not found an answer. Please also note that nothing has changed from when the system worked apart from the power going off and then coming on.

Speedtest: 30.74 Mbps down; 6.86 Mbps up

Ping: 25ms

IP: 86.179.214.106

Serial: 40132136249

C:\Windows\System32>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     8 ms     5 ms     6 ms  172.16.10.2
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    18 ms     6 ms     7 ms  217.41.216.13
  5    36 ms   395 ms    30 ms  213.120.176.10
  6     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.41.168.47
  7     7 ms     7 ms     8 ms  217.41.168.107
  8     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-0-0-5.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.249.78]
  9     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  core2-te0-15-0-17.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159
.249.27]
 10     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  peer2-xe8-3-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.1
93.111]
 11    40 ms     7 ms     7 ms  t2c3-xe-0-1-1-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.16
4]
 12     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>

Hello, I have posted the details as requested. Could you let me know what I need to do now?

David

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi davidjh,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The light sequence you’re seeing indicates a connection / IP allocation issue with your home router.

Please check your connections and follow the steps here.

Thanks,

Gemma

Thanks Gemma, but this is a link to the troubleshooting thread which as I said I have already referred to. Any other ideas?

Hi davidjh,

Everything from the results you've posted looks fine. Have you followed all the steps in the troubleshooting guide?

As Gemma, has stated this looks to be an issue with either your connection or IP address at your home address and the steps in the guide will help resolve this.

It's also worth setting up the Sure Signal in a friend or family member's home, this will rule out any specific fault with the Sure Signal itself.

Thanks,

Matt B

I have followed most of the steps, but am assuming that if I port clamp, as called for for the BT Inifinity customers, I don't need to port forward too. Is that correct? I feel a bit uneasy fiddling with too many of the settings, since the device worked earlier just with the port clamping.

I do note however that the reset doesn't seem to work. Whenever I press the button there is no change in the lights at all, no matter how long I hold it down for. Can you let me know exactly what I should be doing here and what should happen

Thanks

Hi davidjh,

Thanks for getting back to us.

As this was working before it should work without having to make any additional setup changes.

When you’ve reset the Sure Signal, do the lights go out and then show the setup light sequence?

If not, it means that it’s not resetting correctly.

When you hold the reset button, you need to make sure that you’re holding the button in for 30 seconds before releasing it.

If this still doesn’t work, I’d deregister and re-register the Sure Signal after an hour.

James

I am not sure what the set-up light sequence is, but I am pretty sure that the reset isn't working. I can hold the button down for up to a minute and the lights don't change at all. Do I need to turn the power off while I am doing the reset? Can you let me know exactly how I should do the reset and what I should see in terms of lights?

As I happens, I changed the LAN cable between the router and the VSS and it now works. Seems odd, since the previous cable worked fine, so it might be coincidence...

David