Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with Sure Signal 3

izzyn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there

Ever since purchase I have had problems with Sure Signal 3.  Looking through forums there are some problems similar to mine but nothing quite the same.  Sometimes I have a flashing red / solid orange light (which I cannot see in troubleshooting) and sometimes a solid red/flashing white light.  Sometimes when all the lights are as they should be I get the call failed message.  This is all very frustrating.  It will work for a few hours and then stop so I unplug and plug back in and its ok for a bit and then stops working again,  I am also unable to re-set the sure signal as your troubleshooting guide suggests I should eb able to - the only reset I can do is unplug and plug back in again.  The router is a BT Home Hub 3.  Below are details you have asked of other posters...

Speed test:  6.78 Mbps down, 0.36 Mbps Up

Ping test: 43ms 

External IP: 86.131.166.146
Serial number: 40131937886

Traceroute results

(on my work PC which access the network via VPN, not sure if this makes a difference?)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\nichollsi>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     3 ms     1 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  217.47.72.58
  3    11 ms    11 ms    10 ms  217.47.206.161
  4    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  213.1.69.42
  5    18 ms    17 ms    19 ms  217.41.169.209
  6    18 ms    17 ms    19 ms  217.41.169.109
  7    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  acc2-xe-0-2-1.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.21
3]
  8    24 ms    27 ms    25 ms  core1-te0-13-0-2.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
51.137]
  9    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  peer1-xe11-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
254.124]
 10    30 ms    30 ms    28 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 11    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  85.205.116.10
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\nichollsi>

Many thanks Izzy

14 REPLIES 14

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi izzyn, 

Your traceroute is fine although your upload speed is borderline of what the Sure Signal needs to work. If you have multiple devices, laptops etc connected at the same time this may cause issues. 

Can you explain what you mean by you can't do a reset? Can you try holding the button in for 30 seconds and then release (even if the lights haven't yet started flashing)? I'll also do a resync from this end for you. 

Let me know how you get on, 

Kay

Thanks Kay. We do have multiple devices but generally not used at the same time.   so for example, yesterday i was tryiing to use my iphone and the sure signal had a flashing white light, olid red light but the only other device connected to the internet ws my laptop.

when i try to do a reset nothing happens  i have held down the button for up to 5 minutes and the lights dont change!

kinc regards Izzy

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Izzy,  

When you press the reset button, the lights should go off and then come back on again.

If neither happen, it means the button itself is faulty or it’s not being pressed in far enough.

The lights that you’re seeing, solid red and flashing white, show that the Sure Signal is being configured.

This process can take up to 6 hours and if interrupted, will start again from scratch.

Can you leave the process to complete and see if your phone will then connect?

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi there working ok at the moment. Nothing happens when I press the reset button and I have pressed it in as far as it will go. I have held down for up to 4 minutes and the light sequence does not alter. I understand what the lights mean, but the problem I have is that it works, then stops working so I have to unplug and plug back in several times a day - surely this cannot be right? I have been through the process many times and phone always connects afterwards but then it all goes off again. Sometimes I have a flashing red light and solid orange light, what does that mean? Kind regards Izzy

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi izzyn, 

Thanks for letting us know it's working. 

The flashing power light and solid orange Internet light indicates the Sure Signal isn't active and it's failed to authenticate with our servers. 

If this regularly happens can you try the Sure Signal at an alternative location (neighbour or friends house?) so that we can rule out a fault with the device itself? 

Kay

Hi there Kay

So its been fine since your last post and now this morning, I have a flashing red power light and solid orange.  Nothing has changed here at home, it just seems to have happened spontaneously.  We live in the middle of nowhere and I have a regional job, so don't have a workplace or neighbours where I could test the unit.  Given that it also does not re-set, is it fair to assume it is faulty?  On this basis, could it be changed for another one?  Just as an aside, we suffered multiple power cuts last Monday and each time power was restored, the Sure Signal booted itself back up and was working within minutes.  What a great product whan it does what its supposed to do!

Kind regards

Izzy

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi izzyn,

It's strange it has gone down again if it had started working.

I've resynched the Sure Signal again for you as it helped before.

To check with regards to the reset, do the lights change when you release the button? Some people have commented that they change at that point rather than after 30 seconds.

There are a few other things we can check just in case they're the cause:

- Are the Ethernet port lights flashing, lit or off when it goes down?

- What happens if you switch the Sure Signal connection to a different socket on the router?

- Are the following router ports open for forwarding - 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500?

- Is the Sure Signal in a well-ventilated area?

Dave

Hi there

Just in from work and still have a flashing red and solid orange light. When I press the reset button nothing happens, either when the button is pressed or released. The Ethernet port lights remain lit the yellow one is solid and the orange one blinks every 2 seconds. I have just unplugged from the router and tried a different socket, no change. However, I have plugged it back into the original socket and now have the same main light sequence but no Ethernet port lights. I am not sure how to check about the router ports? Yes, it is in a well ventilated area, under a desk. Just checked again and now (after unplugging and re-plugging into same router socket) flashing red and two solid orange lights in the middle and on the rights. Both Ethernet port lights are now flashing together every three seconds, or did for about a minute and have now stopped again.! Please help.

Hi there

Further information - tried to re-set last night before going to bed.  Button did nothing, so pulled out and plugged back in again.  Got up this morning to flashing red power light and final light on the right is solid orange, I have not seen this sequence before.  Ethernet port lights are flashing together slowly.  I really need this piece of kit for my job and sadly am considering moving to another provider now unless this gets resolved.