Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with new new Sure Signal V3

Parsleythelion
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Having recently moved to a small village with minimal Vodafone signal and no 3G I invested in a new Sure Signal box and registered my wife's and my Vodafone phone to it.

It is connected to a BT Home Hub 3. My iPhone 5 now shows full wi-fi and phone signal in most of the house.

My wife and I both experiencing loss of signal during calls, even when the kind of reception mentioned above is seen and even when I am sat only a few feet from the Sure Signal plug adapter.  The caller hears me speaking, then disappearing, then returning - at times this results in the call being dropped.  When this happens and I try and call back (or they do), I'm unable to get a signal for some minutes.

I work from home a couple of days/week and this is becoming massively frustrating.  I would be grateful for any help on offer.  I am not technically gifted, to say the least, so please keep it simple!

Many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Parsleythelion ,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for your message - here you go as requested.  I appreciate it's Christmas so a reply may be delayed, but just wanted to thank you for getting back to me!

Merry Christmas!

Speedtest:  

Download 7.98Mbps  

Upload: 0.93 Mbps

Pingtest

Ping = 22ms

Jitter = 1ms

Line quality = B*

External IP address

SureSignal Serial No:

TraceRoute output:

XXXX has been inserted where my name appears.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\XXXX>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 222 ms 10 ms 281 ms 217.32.140.76
3 323 ms 13 ms 16 ms 217.32.140.62
4 11 ms 12 ms 11 ms 212.140.235.54
5 11 ms 10 ms 14 ms 31.55.164.183
6 11 ms 14 ms 10 ms 31.55.164.107
7 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 109.159.248.73
8 16 ms 16 ms 18 ms 109.159.252.200
9 15 ms 17 ms 15 ms peer1-xe3-2-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.205]
10 62 ms 25 ms 18 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 17 ms 22 ms 46 ms 85.205.0.93
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Hi @Parsleythelion

Thanks for the information.

Please ensure that the IPSEC setting has been selected on your router.

If you’re unsure how to do this, please get in touch with your internet service provider.

If this still isn’t working, please let us know the exact light sequence you can see.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Cheers,

Laura

Laura,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in replying - the holidays etc.  

I have a BT Home Hub 3 (Type B).  Can you please tell me if the data I provided alludes to the ISPEC being the problem?  You may have been lucky and have not had to edure the 7th circle of hell that is BT customer support but I do not wish to engage with them unless I am very clear and specific on the problem and what they or I need to do, and based on the limited information you provided I'm afraid I'm not.  If you can share, and don't be afraid to patronise here, literal tell me what to tell them - I would be grateful for the clarity.

My wife and I both work for companies with Vodafone corporate accounts.  My wife works for the NHS and the problems this is causing, for her specifically, are concering and stressful.  We are both consistently having calls dropped by the Sure Signal or able to hear the caller with clarity but them being unable to hear us - I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating the latter is.

I have followed the advice on here and using a long Ethernet cable moved the SureSignal away from my Hub and also invested in some of the Devolo power line kit to extend our wi-fi to all parts of the house but have seen no discernible improvement in SureSignal performance - although the wifi signla is much improved.

I would be grateful for any further clarity that can be brought to the problem as currently I feel that I have spent £100 on something that is not fit for purpose.

Parsley the Lion!

@Parsleythelion 

I can see that the Sure Signal is connected and sending data to our servers.

If your coverage is coming and going with the Sure Signal as you suggest in your last post it will be either your internet speeds, the Ethernet cable or or the Sure Signal priority on your router.

The IPSEC option doesn't apply to BT HomeHub devices so apologies for this and your speeds are sufficient.

Please ensure that the Sure Signal is set as a high priority on your router settings.

If you're still having issues, please confirm the lights you're seeing on the Sure Signal.

DaveCD