Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re: BT network issues on suresignal

mattogden
4: Newbie

Is there any news on this? I connected our suresignal to the router on the evening of the 20th. It immediately showed up as active in the account on my vodafone. But I just can't get it to connect - Two amber lights and flashing power light. The router is upnp and I've even tried putting the SS in the demilitarized zone.

I contacted Vodfone help yesterday and they said all will be well 12 - 24 hours on. 18 hours on should I sit happy?

Getting the thing to work will be a huge boon ( and keep a couple of Vodafone customers) as we are in a dead spot here!

152 REPLIES 152

@DaveCD It's a home broadband service.

@DaveCD response from IDNet about IPsec blocking:

No, not at all. IDNet don't block anything within their network, especially a commonly used protocol often used in VPN solutions which businesses would implement.

This is really looking like Vodafone's end, particularly as you have at least two users here whose devices used to work. Amy chance of a progress report? Thanks

dalison
The point is the V2 WORKED successfully with the BT Hub 5 for nearly a year up until the BT outage last week. I will check the ports but I really feel you are clutching at straws here.

Here, here I second that. Explain why we should start fiddling with port settings when it was fine before, and secondly why the phone tech support don't even mention port settings at all

dalison
Red power light on, both white LEDs are flashing. V2 is the one registered to my account so can you pick up from your database, I am out at the moment so can't read the S/N off the unit. I will confirm it this evening when I check the port forwarding etc. At the sake of repeating myself ad infinitum it was working up until the BT outage

Mainly this thread concerns getting the Sure Signal Device to work using an FTTC service from BT via their supplied router. I have no doubt for some the BT router is in modem mode enabling your own router to be used. Frustratingly for some end users the Sure Signal Device had worked previously but following problems on the BT network on three separate occasions recently, the unit seems unable to access the Vodafone system again.

It is sort of pointless asking Vodafone for help as they can offer no diagnostic tool to pinpoint action to be taken and you are lead down a merry path to make configuration changes to your router; but why if it worked fine in the past?  I can only assume that a firmware upgrade to the router has taken place that is the root of the problem. Even if you switch the BT router into modem mode and use a router of your choice you have not found a magic bullet.

Frustrated to the point of distraction, and seriously needing the Sure Signal to actually work, I bought a Draytek 2860 [with the help of a mortgage], the actual model being the Vigor2860Vac, and proceeded to change the firmware to Version 3.8.2.3_BT. I entered my BT logon credentials but nothing much else apart from changing the password to the router.

The existing BT router, in modem mode linked to a Draytek 2830 was ripped out and replaced with the new all in one router. Once it was possible to connect to any web site on a networked PC the power to the Sure Signal Device was turned on. It proceeded to give an interesting/worryingly sequence of lights over a 15 minute period but eventually arrived at the Ready state. Great news.

Test calls were made with the third light coming on when the phone was on a call. Afterwards a simulated a power failure was made restoring the power 5 minutes later; the Sure Signal Device was back on line in about 10 minutes. It’s been like that for the last three days. Subsequently the security on the router has been ramped up with no detrimental effect to the Sure Signal Device performance.

I will never know if the BT router was actually the culprit, but I don't really care; I happen to have a Sure Signal Device that is doing what it says on the tin. If you follow my solution path you MAY find yourself in the same position.

@trolleybus thanks for the very sensible and erudite answer.

Not having the readies for the Vigor 2860Vac I have ordered a TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600, which should at least get the BT modem out of the circuit. It should arrive today and I will post progress.

Thanks for the information trolleybus. I have remortgaged the house and ordered said beast from Amazon. I hope I get the same result.

Well, I installed the new router and have... exactly the same results.

Better luck with yours @dalison

I still have this nagging feeling it's nothing to do with our setups...

In response to @mattogden we are taliking about the TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 right? Well that is said news. For that router what is the MTU setting being used at the moment and what is the highest value it can be set at? On my Draytek I am using 1520.

Are yiu using the latest firmware for that router?

In swapping out the router, have you used the re-set button on the Sure Signal device afterwards? Does the Sure Signal device appear in the DHCP table of the router? Can you faultlessly ping to the device with  no packet loss?

I assume that the current display on the SSD is red flashing, with the two end lights solid amber.