Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Red light only with BT HUB4

nickrobs13
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good morning

I took delivery of a BT HomeHub 4 to replace my HomeHub3 about three weeks ago.

The Sure Signal worked with the BT HomeHub3.

Now all I get is the red power on light on the very left, nothing else.

I have created a firewall rule to allow ports 8, 50, 500, 123 TCP & 123 UDP, 4500 UDP and 1723, as advised by Vodafone.

The serial number of my SureSignal box is 40131981280.

Could you help please,   Have also tried resetting for 30 seconds on a number of occasions?

Rgrds, Nick

31 REPLIES 31

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Nick,

I've done a resync for you on the system, so can you try a fresh reset to pick this up for me?

Failing that, if you can post the other details requested above it will give us a better idea of what's happening.

Dave

Matt HI, interestingly..................

C:\Users\nicrober>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.   2     *        *        *     Request timed out.   3     *        *        *     Request timed out.   4     *        *        *     Request timed out.   5     *        *        *     Request timed out.   6     *        *        *     Request timed out.   7     *        *        *     Request timed out.   8     *        *        *     Request timed out.   9     *        *        *     Request timed out.  10     *        *        *     Request timed out.  11     *        *        *     Request timed out.  12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\nicrober>

Matt hi, perhaps not unsurprisingly given the trace, no response to the reset I just did.

Hi there nickrobs13,

That traceroute looks a bit poorly.

Is there anyway for you to lower the security settings on the hub? If so, I'd have a look at that :Winking_smiley:

Cheers,

LeeH

After discussing my issue with Emma in your technical team this morning, she advised I discuss the issues with BT.   So, I went to the CEOs office of BT, and he appointed his Exec Support Manager to deal with this issue personally.  We had a lengthy discussion.  The email summary from the Exec Manager is shown below.   Please confirm soonest that you will be avaiable for a 3 way call Monday to resolve this issue, thanks.

PS - Is there a DIRECT UK telephone contact number for your team, I cannot get back in touch with Emma, your "Help" desks won't allow me too ! 

Hi, just to follow on from our earlier conversation.

What we did this morning

We tried both a homehub3 and homehub4 with 2 different Ethernet cables and the SureSignal box would not show as a device connected to the hub.  We checked to see if the fault was with the home hubs or the cables by connecting your mac via Ethernet and this showed up in your hub absolutely fine, which by process of elimination indicates a fault with the SureSignal box.

We’ve setup port forwarding on both of the hubs for all relevant ports (8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 and 1723) along with adding the mac address of the suresignal box to the ‘DMZ’ which allows all traffic to and from the SureSignal box to avoid all firewall rules.

Until the SureSignal box is showing in the list of devices connected to the hub, there is no way that the speeds etc. could cause the issue. The problem at the moment is the fact that the SureSignal box isn’t connecting to the hub.

Once the SureSignal box is showing as a device connected to the hub I’ll be more than happy to investigate this again (in terms of the port forwarding and speeds).

What next?

In my opinion the next steps would be to arrange for a replacement SureSignal box, once you’ve got this I can probably diagnose the rest of the problems without the need for Vodafone to be further involved. As agreed I’m in the office from 8am-4pm Monday 22 July, so if you can arrange for someone from Vodafone to contact you between those times I’ll make myself available to have a call.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

It is strange that it worked with the v3 but now will not get a DHCP lease with the new one for whatever reason.

Do the connection lights on the router and SS light up when the cable is plugged in?

Hi, not too sure what you mean by connection lights, sorry......the only lights we have are the blue internet light on the router front and the static red power light on the SS.   And, uncannily, it now doesn't work on the V3 box either :Sad_face:

grolschuk

Does the network socket where you plug the lead from the router to the SS not have a pair of lights? And at the same time some form of indication at the router that someing is plugged in?