Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rural Open Sure Signal application - queries not answered in FAQs #ROSS100

lizw4562
2: Seeker

I am our Village Champion putting together an application for Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal. I've read the FAQs and the tips for siting the units, but have the following 3 questions that I haven't found answers for:

1. Will the Open Sure Signal unit just piggyback on an existing landline with broadband or will you install a new one? I, for instance, have broadband but don't pay for unlimited usage so if my house was to be one of the sites for the units (it isn't, I'm just using this as an example) I wouldn't want to be paying extra for everyone in the village piggybacking on my broadband.

2. As I understand it, Open Sure Signal units are larger versions of the personal Sure Signal units. Sure Signal doesn't work with satellite broadband, WiMax, bonded lines or secure firewalls. Will the same restrictions apply to Open Sure Signal as well?

3. If my house was to be the site of an Open Sure Signal unit would my use of the internet impact on Open Sure Signal performance? And would 3G users impact on my internet performance?

8 REPLIES 8

lizw4562

I am our Village Champion putting together an application for Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal. I've read the FAQs and the tips for siting the units, but have the following 3 questions that I haven't found answers for:

1. Will the Open Sure Signal unit just piggyback on an existing landline with broadband or will you install a new one? I, for instance, have broadband but don't pay for unlimited usage so if my house was to be one of the sites for the units (it isn't, I'm just using this as an example) I wouldn't want to be paying extra for everyone in the village piggybacking on my broadband.

2. As I understand it, Open Sure Signal units are larger versions of the personal Sure Signal units. Sure Signal doesn't work with satellite broadband, WiMax, bonded lines or secure firewalls. Will the same restrictions apply to Open Sure Signal as well?

3. If my house was to be the site of an Open Sure Signal unit would my use of the internet impact on Open Sure Signal performance? And would 3G users impact on my internet performance?

Hi lizw4562,

1 - The Rural Open Sure Signal (ROSS) will need an existing broadband connection in place to function. This isn't something that we'd provide.

2 - The same restrictions will apply so sateillite broadband, WiMax, bonded lines and secure firewalls won't be supported.

3 - The scheme isn't really designed to be used within a residential address and is really designed to be in a public place. Local business places could have have a better internet connection, therefore minimising any risk that could be caused by bandwith restrictions.

Thanks,

Matt B

Questions for our application - for Silchester: An area that EE seem to provide a full 3G signal for but Vodafone can't.

- If the building does not have broadband - does Vodafone put in it's broadband and if this has WIFI - can anyone in/near use the WIFI? - Does each site need existing broadband?

- The £30 fee, does this need to be paid per site per year? Is this non-negotiable - in order to set up sites/attract people to place box on house

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi BenKeen,

We don’t supply the broadband and the device is plugged in using a Ethernet cable, so won’t work via Wi-Fi.

The £30 a year is how much it’ll use in electricity (so will be non-negotiable as this is through your electricity supplier).

Thanks, 

Gemma

Question from property owner - in regard to Sure Signal box being placed on property - 

what is the length of the contract / commitment? When can property owner decide to opt out or remove box?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi BenKeen,

It can vary depending on the hardware used at any given site and how many pieces of hardware make up any one community's Rural Open Sure Signal.

I've asked the project leader if there's a minimum term for any one piece of kit, or how this would likely affect the infrastructure should one person opt out once the system is in place.

We'll post back when we get a response.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi BenKeen,

I'm still pushing for a response on this. Just letting you know that I've not forgotten about your question. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, 

Ben

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @BenKeen ,

Each setup will have an agreement term based on the size of the local coverage and number of cells needed.

Cheers,

Ben