Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SS v1 with correct lights but no 3G signal, READ THIS

Paul-42
4: Newbie

Had this problem for a week with no sucess in solving. Found this in a post by "AnabolicStewie" which worked for him & ME!

This is copied from his posting:

This has worked for myself and at least 2 other people where their SS is showing lights 1,2 and 4 but their phone has no signal.

1 - Hold the reset button until all 4 lights are solid. Don't let go of the button until step 4!

2 - Remove the power cable then the LAN cable

3 - Insert ONLY the power cable

4 - When the lights flash 1, 2, 3 then 4 release the reset button and wait for the unit to boot (5 mins should do it).

5 - Insert the LAN cable and wait (mine took approx 15 mins)

The thinG that made the difference for me was the 5 min wait before plugging the ethernet cable back in. Why I haven't a clue unless the box needs to be fully stable before it starts trying to contact the Voda servers to update itself. Anyway it worked for me, hope it does for others.

Paul

1 REPLY 1

jackie_eboro
4: Newbie

I have been having a "no-3G signal" problem with my VSS1 for over a week and have been back and forward on this forum with the Tech Team going through their bog-standard list of try this, try that, ping this, run that tracert, etc.

I had previously Reset my box using all of the various methods suggested on this forum, including the Anabolic Stewie one mentioned in Paul 42's post above.

However earlier this evening I read a reply post from shane12345 saying what had worked for him was a slight variation on Stewie's version:

"Remove network cable from SS and do a full reset. Leave SS alone (now back on) for 10 mins or so, THEN plug the network cable back in.". 

When I got home from work I did the following and, bugger me, my VSS1 is finally working again  (hoorah!):

1 - Hold the reset button until all 4 lights are solid. Don't let go of the button yet

2 - Remove the power cable then the LAN cable, then let go of the reset button

3 - Insert ONLY the power cable

4 - Go away...cook dinner...open a nice bottle of wine....eat dinner, drink some wine

5 - Return to VSS1 (mine still only had light 1 on at this point). Insert the LAN cable and leave VSS1 alone to think about how badly it had been behaving over the past week

6 - Return to VSS1 some wine time later (approx 30 mins for me) and hopefully lights 1,2 & 3 are all solid and light 3 is flashing intermittently to show 3G signal is available and being used, as was the case with my box. 

Amazing really, when the person I had spoken to at Vodafone this morning told me that my VSS1 had stopped working because it was out-of-date with all of the network mast broadcast updates that had been going on recently due to the introduction of 4G (pants on fire or what?!!)

Good Luck fellow sufferers 🙂