Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SS v3 no better than v1 it seems

DeanUK
4: Newbie

Hi everyone

I have to say, I am getting just a little tired with these doohickies...

No don;t get me wrong, I am a bit of a gadget fiend and I will happily spend time getting things configured and working just how they should.  I'm a veritable 'do it as per instructions' fella and ALWAYS RTM!!!

Now, I've had a SS v1 since forever and it was always too much like hard work.  Off and on since geting it I have tried to get it working reliably and I started again at the weekend.  I must say it had been unplugged for a while but it did the whole start-up sequence and then settled in to 1, 2 and 4 lights on.  Not one of the registered phones could pick up a 3G signal however but a trusty old iPad picked it up straight away.  I reset, I waited, I ignored it for ages, you all know the routine.  Then I de-registered it and re-registered it and Ben H could see that I had done so.  Still no signal and now not even the iPad can pick it up!

Came on here and was advised that a re-sync had been forced and that all would be well after I had reset my end.  Came home today and I have disco lights galore!  Various patterns either alternating between just lights 2 and 2 together then 1 and 2 individually then back on together and then onto another pattern involving 1,2 and 3 then just 1 and 3 then just 2 then back to all three.  4 never gets involved!

What does this mean?  Nowhere can I find a definitive answer to what these signals mean!  How many of us have turned the SS off or reset when actually it was trying to do something???  I wonder.  Anyway the disco goes on.

Onto more troubling matters... I bought a Sure Signal v3 today from my local VF store.  Chappy behind the counter said how marvellous they were.  I gave him a wry smile.

Got it home.  Registered it online.  Plugged it in.  Red light.  Nothing else.  Not a dicky bird!  Eventually unplugged doing a reset and now no lights at all!!!  Good heavens these things are flaky!

Just to try and confuse the hell out of me... the SS v1 gets an IP address (reserved for it) from my router but the lights on the ethernet port do not come on at all but I get a disco from lights 1,2 and 3.  And on the flip side, the SS v3 has flashy lights on the ethernet port but doesn't get an IP from the router and doesnt even give me a disco.

It's enough to drive you crazy.

Right, some questions/observations...

This forum is littered with advice...

1.  Port forwarding mentioned everywhere but how can I port forward with two devices wanting the same ports forwarded?  I can find answers by members of the techteam advising that multiple SS can be used but no-one mentions the port forwarding!  Perhaps port triggering would be better but never heard it mentioned!

2.  I repeat, nowhere is there a definitive table of light sequences for the v1 SS so that we might be able to ascertain what is going on.

3.  Can someone please explain why I can get a multi GB movie from the otherside of the Atlantic via iTunes and start watching it in a matter of minutes but a Sure Signal cannot connect to server and update itself in anything less than what seems like days.....

4.  TechTeam members have referred to uPnP should suffice re. port forwarding but I can no find reference to the Sure Signals being uPnP devices and certainly my uPnP mapping table does not report that any mappings have been set up by the Sure Signals.

5  Would someone PLEASE get these things working.

6.  Would someone please get these things working without me having to speak to someone on the phone that clearly has a flow chart to follow and that treats all customers like imbeciles...

Enough for now... there will be more no doubt.

2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi DeanUK,

The new Sure Signal v3 should be up and running within a maximum of 24 hours once registered and connected to the internet.

If you’re still facing issues after this time, can you check our troubleshooting for Sure Signal version 3 please?

Thanks

Andrew

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there DeanUK,

Please can I ask that you keep your query regarding your Sure Signal to one thread?

I can see we've replied to you today here and here.

1.  Port forwarding mentioned everywhere but how can I port forward with two devices wanting the same ports forwarded?  I can find answers by members of the techteam advising that multiple SS can be used but no-one mentions the port forwarding!  Perhaps port triggering would be better but never heard it mentioned!

Port forwarding is done via the router. AS long as the correct ports are set up within the router admin panel there should be no need to configure both Sure Signals.

2.  I repeat, nowhere is there a definitive table of light sequences for the v1 SS so that we might be able to ascertain what is going on.

The light sequences in the troubleshooting are the most common light sequences. Any other sequences need bespoke support and cannot be covered in the troubleshooting.

3.  Can someone please explain why I can get a multi GB movie from the otherside of the Atlantic via iTunes and start watching it in a matter of minutes but a Sure Signal cannot connect to server and update itself in anything less than what seems like days.....

The Sure Signal is designed to be Plug and Play (UPnP) but with so many varied set ups with different ISPs, routers and modems it's impossible for us to be able to test every possible set up.

4.  TechTeam members have referred to uPnP should suffice re. port forwarding but I can no find reference to the Sure Signals being uPnP devices and certainly my uPnP mapping table does not report that any mappings have been set up by the Sure Signals.

The VSS definitely supports UPnP. As above; for most users this is the case. I've set up about 15 of these units and not once have I had to configure port forwarding.

5  Would someone PLEASE get these things working.

6.  Would someone please get these things working without me having to speak to someone on the phone that clearly has a flow chart to follow and that treats all customers like imbeciles...

We've already replied to your other posts to help get the VSS working. Please click the links.

Thanks,

LeeH