cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SS worked for a while now, not working at all.

StuBill
2: Seeker

I've had a Sure Signal for 48 hours, and I am overwhelmingly dissapointed !I am on BT infinity with a TP-Link router. The Sure Signal would not work out of the box, but having followed the troubleshooting guidelines (yes I follewed them) for ports and MTU, I managed to get a connection (even though the router support UPnP) It worked fine for about 6 hours, but then dropped out and wouldn't reconnect.

I rebooted the router and the SS, and connection made and worked fine again for about 12 hours before dropping out again (tries to re-connect several times then solid power light only).

Nothing on LAN or WAN setup has been changed from SS working to SS not working

I have tried all manner of router, infinity modem, and SS resets. I just doesn't work now.

I am happy to take some VF assistance before the SS is returned as not fit for purpose.

S/N : 40122423227

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

StuBill

To add to my initial post, a speedtest gives the following :

Download : 40.29Mbs

Upload : 5.99Mbs

PL : 41.25ms

A tracert returns the following :

trace.JPG

Bump.

Can anyone help me with this, before I send the SS back ?

Having no mobile signal is ultimately less dissapointing that paying out extra hard earned money to have no mobile signal !

Update.

I took it upon myself to contact Vodafone customer services to find out how to return my SS for a refund (by landline as I have no mobile signal, and as there has been no offer of support here) . All they were prepared to do is pass me to technical support. I was advised to reboot router and SS (like I haven't tried that !). Support guy said he can see the SS on the VF server and that it is configuring and assured me it would be working in 30mins max. Well surprise surprise after 10mins of flashing system and phone lights, I am back to solid red light.

Please, please - can someone tell me how to return this quite shocking product for a refund ?

You were quick enough to take my money, now I would like it back.

Hi StuBill

Thanks for your post. Apologies that we've not been able to answer your post sooner, we're only a small team and work our posts on a first come first served basis. 

Looking at your device via the serial number provided there has been a connection on the network. However, the details of your traceroute show that there is no connection at all  if you're not even connecting the device via your ISP let alone the connection reaching the Vodafone IP. Your speedtest is fine and you've clearly tried the correct troubleshooting steps to try and get a connection.

We'll be happy to discuss this further you so I've sent a private message with details of how to contact us directly. You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

Simon

Thanks Simon, for your reply. Sounds like you need a bigger team :smileyhappy:

I will contact you as advised via the PM.

On the tracert issue, I think this may be a red herring. I can ping your VF server from my PC no problem (or any other IP for that matter) but the tracert refuses to connect. I think something is blocking tracert control packets at my end, but strange that the ping is OK.

Hi StuBill,

I've also got BT infinity with the Home Hub 3. Have had to connect my SureSignal up through my old TP-Link router (TD-W8960N) which then goes through the HH.

Let me know if you want more info on my working config.

Cheers,
Nobby

Thanks Nobby, would be great to know how you have your TP-LINK setup.

I am using a TL-R402M directly into the BT infinity modem (Huwai), which has always been rock solid for internet access.

I chose not to use the Home Hub 3 as it is, well a bit poor, despite looking quite nice. I use a TP-Link access point off the router for the wireless side of things.

After installing the Sure Signal into the router, I forwarded all the advised ports to the SS, which has a reserved IP via the DHCP. Also, the reserved IP of the SS is enabled through the DMZ. MTU, well VF advise 1500, but as you probably know 1492 is highest for TP-LINK and also the max. for PPoE standard, as I understand it.

The problem I have with the Sure Signal, is that it connects for what seems to be a random amount of time (the longest so far being around 12 hours), then suddenly drops connection (twice whilst in call), and takes an age to re-connect to the server. Then the cycle starts again.

Cheers,

StuBill 

An update to this in case anyone is interested.

Shortly after my last post my Infinity modem (Huewai) produced some acrid black smoke before completely dying.

I am just glad I was sat by it when it happened !!

BT visited and replaced the failed modem with an ECI modem. I was informed that this should have been done originally as the fibre

equipment in my local cabinet is ECI, and although the Huewai modem 'should' work, they are advised to fit matching equipment.

Well, since the new ECI modem, the Sure Signal was plugged in, it re-connected quickly and it has remained solidly working for over 48 hours :smileyhappy:

Thanks to all who offered help.

Hi StuBill,

Many thanks for the update here, I’m pleased to see that you are up and running after BT have exchanged your equipment.

James