Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SS3 without port forwarding

mikeb2
4: Newbie

Does the SS3 need the port forwarding setup for it to work? I've jsut registered my new SS3, plugged it into my router (Draytek) and left it overnight. This morning it appears to be working - it has white lights on, my phone is showing as connected to it, I can make and recieve calls.

I was expecting to have to setup the port forwards to get it working. Is there a performance disadvantage to not having it setup for port forwards? Or have you improved the way it works so port forwarding isn't a necessity?

2 REPLIES 2

john32
13: Advanced Member

Port forwards are not necessary - as you have found out. There is no benefit in setting them up in your environment.

Where a sure signal does not work out of the box setting up port forwards 'can' help coax one into action.

Good luck

John

cineriv
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi Mikeb2,

Port forwarding is only necessary if the SS just won't connect.

Most modern routers will usually connect without any problems, but there are a few makes or models of router around that just won't connect without adding port forwarding.

There shouldn't be any performance advantage at all, port fowarding is only like a number of switches that open the correct gates (ports).

I have had a V1 SS for around 6 years now with various routers and never had to add port forwarding.

Regards.

Mike.