Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Sure Signal incompatible

RichardSharpeVF
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all

We have a Sure Signal in one of our DataCentres and some of our staff have updated to Samsung Galaxy Note 4's. Since moving to the Galaxy Note 4 the Sure Signal is not providing any signal for the users with the Galaxy Note 4's. The Sure Signal still works for other members of staff with their existing phones (iPhone 5 etc) so it doesn't look like the Sure Signal has broken.

We've tried re-registering the Sure Signal, it's been removed from site and re-installed, and we've removed and added the users in question with the Galaxy Note 4's, but nothing seems to work.

Grateful if someone could advise please - we can get a new sure signal from Company Phones if required, but need to know what the issue is and what will resolve it.

Thanks,

Rich

18 REPLIES 18

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @tompoyntz

Can other phones connect to the Sure Signal with no problems?

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I am the only person in my house with a Vodafone phone, so at the moment I cannot tell whether other phones are able to connect.  Some people who come to the house occasionally, do have Vodafone phones, so I will check when the opportunity next presents itself.

Speed Test Results:

Ping:  13ms

Donwload Speed:   70.92Mbps

Upload Speed:   18.69Mbps

Ping Test Results:

Packet Loss:   Unable to test.  (the website suggests that this may be due to a firewall issue - if that's important to you, I can investigate further)

Ping:   21ms

Jitter:   4ms

External IP Details:

IP Address:   81.141.66.94

IPV6 Address:   ::ffff:518d:425e

SureSignal Serial Number:   40132318409

Traceroute Information (I stopped it after 32 hops):

root@orca:/# traceroute 212.183.133.177
traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max
1 192.168.1.254 1.074ms 0.695ms 0.642ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 31.55.187.144 10.227ms * *
5 195.99.127.172 9.639ms * *
6 195.99.127.0 10.592ms * *
7 62.6.201.173 10.311ms * *
8 195.66.224.124 67.934ms * *
9 85.205.0.93 11.929ms * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
31 * * *
32 * * *

Please let me know if there is any more information you need.

Thanks.

Tom

Hi Jenny,

Some additional information about the problem:

This morning, when I woke up, my phone had successfully connected to the SureSignal and I could see the active light turn on on the SureSignal whilst I made a call on my phone.  That's the first time the phone has been able to connect since last Thursday.

I left the house for 15 minutes, and when I came back, my phone would not re-connect to the SureSignal.

All the time, (apart from the one occasion this morning when my phone was able to connect), the lights on the SureSignal are as shown in the attached picture.

Tom

Hi @tompoyntz,

To ensure there isn't a problem with your Sure Signal, please try your SS in different location.

Keep us updated.

Thanks,

Rodney

Hi,

I brought my SureSignal with me to work today.  I plugged it in and it registered ok.  It's showing the lights as per the photo in my previous post.

I can confirm though, that I still get the behaviour where my phone is unable to connect and make use of the signal provided by the SureSignal.  

I also added a colleague's phone number to the allowed numbers list.  I waited until my colleague received the text message saying that he should be able to access the SureSignal.  Then my colleague rebooted his phone, and I can confirm that he too was unable to connect to the SureSignal.

Does this mean that the SureSignal is broken?

Regards,

Tom

Hi guys

Thanks for updating the firmware on our Sure Signal - unfortunately this hasn't changed anything, and the unit is still not providing any signal either to the iPhone 5 which previously worked, or to the Galaxy Note 4's which have never worked.

Grateful for your continued support!

Thanks and regards,

Richard

Some more infomation on this.  

After a n hour or so, I saw that my phone eventually connected to the SureSignal, but my colleagues still hasn't connected.

Hi @tompoyntz and @RichardSharpeVF,

So that we can look into this further, take a look at your private message folder for how to get in touch.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

The SureSignal seems to be working properly now.  It no longer fails to connect.

I found that the last time it failed to connect, I was able to force it to connect by going into Settings-->More Networks-->Mobile networks-->Network mode and changing the setting from "LTE/WCDMA/GSM" to "WCDMA/GSM".  After my phone had successfully connected to the SureSignal, I changed that setting back again to "LTE/WCDMA/GSM".

My phone hasn't failed to connect again since.

I wonder if changes to the Vodafone network in my area, have altered the signal in my house to totally nonexistent to just very poor.  Is it possible that the presence of a very poor network signal that is of a faster connection type than the 3G one provided by the SureSignal, can cause problems with the phone deciding which one to pick?

Anyway, it's working for me now, and if it fails to connect again, I'll try the same workaround to get it working again.  If that fails, I'll post here again.

Thanks,

Tom