Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sky MER and SS

johndoe1
7: Helper
7: Helper

Recently took out an iPhone SIM only tariff with VF and at the same time ordered a SS box as I knew there was no VF 3G at home (only get Edge)

I should have read these forums before ordering really as my ISP is Sky and my D-LINK Sky router was changed over to MER the other week, which apparently wont work with the SS box?

Are VF working on this issue, considering Sky are in the process of changing over all their Broadband users from PPPoA to MER?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi guys,

I've just had word back from our Sure Signal engineers that the new Sky IP ranges mentioned on the last page have now been added to our firewall whitelist.

Can anyone on Sky who was in that IP range please let me know if your Sure Signal is now working. You'll be able to check your IP address here. Please note that you may just need to reset your Sure Signal beforehand.

George

eForum Team

View solution in original position

597 REPLIES 597

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi johndoe1 and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I appreciate how frustrating this situation must be for you.

Unfortunately the Vodafone Sure Signal does not work with MER connection types. However, we do understand how this will cause issues for everyone one of our customers using Sky so our resident Sure Signal expert George, has sent an email over to our support teams for further clarification.

As soon as we hear back the thread below will be updated

Sure Signal

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

It would appear that i am one of many users experiencing this problem and frustrated with the fact that i bought this item from vodafone and switched to vodafone in order to resolve the signal problem in the area. It now seems i have wasted my time and money by moving to vodafone surely the sure signal should work on any broadband network? or better still improve the signals around the country so the end user doesn't have to pay twice?

Please could the moderator update as to what the outcome is and whether its just tough luck?

Hi guys,

As mentioned, the Sure Signal team have been made aware of this issue.

They have confirmed that they are investigating the situation to find where the issue lies and are hoping to have this resolved as quickly as possible.

Dave

eForum Team

hope this is sorted soon.. i recieved my suresignal box today and wondered why i couldnt get it working.  I have a sky MER connection and am a little annoyed its not working, and dissapointed that if it wont ever work anytime soon, ive just thrown £50 down the drain.. i sure hope youll be offering refunds if not

can you please provide a timeframe for resolving this issue or at the least to providing an update as to where you are with it.

I (and a few others) first alerted VF to the issue 2 weeks ago (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-Flashing-Steady-Power-Light-No-Other...)

I think given the length of time that has passed, the sheer volum of users affected and the volumous amount of posts on the web regarding this, the communication by VF has been exceedingly poor.

Whilst its not acceptable that SS does not work on Sky BB, this is compunded by the lack of communciation from VF.  Expectations.should at least be managed by explaining when another update will be given - even if that update is that they are still "investigating", 

Remember your customers are paying monthly charges for a service that they probably cant use as the chances are they bought a SS because reception is so poor in their home.

Communication is key here, guys, and thus far I do not think what we have experienced cuts the mustard......

Might I suggest checking if you IP address starts 2.

Once switched to MER on Sky broadband, the IP address you are alllocated when you connect is likely to be from the recently allocated to Sky 2.xxx.xxx.xxx  range. I think that might be more likely to be the issue than the protocol Sky use,  your actual traffic to the internet is still using IP after all.  

Some Sky and Orange Broadband customers that have IP addresses in the 2.xxx.xxx.xxx range seem to have been having problems accessing  a few web sites.  https://paymonthly.tescomobile.com was one example.

I also see one or two non-sky Sure signal users with IP addresses starting 2. also have issues:- http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-and-Orange-Broadband/m-p/723489/messa...   

Yes it does begin with a 2;

2.216.xxx.xxx

This is not within the range tha was apparently "fixed" for orange bb customers. VF can you see if a similar fix might work for sky bb?

Ditto: 2.218.xxx.xxx

Would be great if George/vf support team can confirm whether these new sky ip addresses are on their whitelist.

Just to confirm, I downgraded my Sky router using the Sky CD-ROM provided when I received the router to SKY_1.07. As a result I am now connected through PPPoA, with an IP address 94.4.XXX.XXX. within 30 minutes, my VSS came to life.

Of course, that doesnt help anyone in determining whether MER per se or the IP address is the problem, but at least it is clear that the box does work. Great to have cell phone coverage at home for a change, I am sure Sky will update my router soon enough for me to lose it again.... so pls vodafone quickly find out why your device is the only one service that doesnt survive the changeover to MER/ IP address in the range 2.218.XXX.XXX and fix it!