Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sky MER and SS

johndoe1
7: Helper
7: Helper

Recently took out an iPhone SIM only tariff with VF and at the same time ordered a SS box as I knew there was no VF 3G at home (only get Edge)

I should have read these forums before ordering really as my ISP is Sky and my D-LINK Sky router was changed over to MER the other week, which apparently wont work with the SS box?

Are VF working on this issue, considering Sky are in the process of changing over all their Broadband users from PPPoA to MER?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi guys,

I've just had word back from our Sure Signal engineers that the new Sky IP ranges mentioned on the last page have now been added to our firewall whitelist.

Can anyone on Sky who was in that IP range please let me know if your Sure Signal is now working. You'll be able to check your IP address here. Please note that you may just need to reset your Sure Signal beforehand.

George

eForum Team

View solution in original position

597 REPLIES 597

Hi Lee

Hope this helps... i'm not sure which is the external IP address

My Lan router address is IP 192.168.0.1

My sure signal serial number is 21222177681

My sure signal has only got the top light showing.

Many thanks

Wayne

Hi wmadders

Welcome to the eForum!

I've just resynced your box, can you perform a factory reset and let me know if this resolved the issue for you.

To factory reset the Sure Signal box:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds) keeping the reset button held down.
  • Remove then re-insert the power lead.
  •  Once all lights display release the reset button. The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour. 

Thanks

Hi gazza23

ICMP packets are blocked by most corporate networks due to the damage a malicious person could do using an augmented ICMP packet.  I will pass this on, was there any reference as such?  we have a relationship manager  who liaises with SKY who we approached regarding the IP ranges, we have opened all the ranges that were passed over, I am  confirming this with our support teams.

Thanks

Hi ELAMBONGO

Welcome to the eForum!

You can find a step by step guide for your router here, alternatively I would suggest our troubleshooting guides.

Hi NGROCOCK

Sadly not the case VODAFONE-LTD.TenGigabitEthernet7-1.ar6.LON3.gblx.net [64.214.144.122] as its a gateway into the Vodafone network, ICMP is blocked due to the damage that can be done with a rogue ICMP packet. We only need to see the timeout on the last hop, if this is <200MS,  then it wont work,  the latency  inside the Vodafone network is monitored and wont be a factor for this issue.

Hi Bod

Thanks for letting me know, I will feed this back, Can you confirm your external IP address as I suspect its 2.219 however I have a different IP against your name on my list.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

mine still not doing anything but flash top light...why did it work for a week

UPDATE!!!

I think I may have  solution in the iterim until Vodafone pull their fingers out!!

1. IF you have the original Broadband CD from sky insert it into the PC the router is plugged into.

2. Do not autorun the CD but right click and explore

3. select the utilities folder and then the corresponding folder to the make of router you have

4. Before you run the executable file or perform the restore you MAY need to press and hold the reset button until the activity light (tick) flashes, this will enter recovery mode. Otherwise you will get an error message asking you to put it inrecovery mode - well at least you will if you hve a d-link router

6. the executable file/ program in this folder will reset your router to factory defaults which happen to be PPOA NOT MER.

7. Give the router time to download the firmware it needs but the result will be a PPOA connection, you can check this by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser window.

8. Reset the Sure signal box and wait a while for the box to register/download from the Vodafne VPN

9. This should now give you full signal within an hour or so.

10. SKY will roll out updates for the router which will upgrade it back to MER.... however this will happen at night so to keep on PPOA switch the router off nightly.

This should provide enough time for vodafone to sort out the connection to MER

Regards

I am pretty sure the router will actually look for new firmware when its reset, So I think you may be better just leaving it powered up if its working now.

Also I take it you no longer have a 2. IP?

I can confirm that this does 100% work.... I have FULL signal at home at long last. Please follow my instructions and if you get stuck let me know but it is fairly straight forward.

Note the router will look for a firmware upgrade in the middle of the night to upgrade to MER so until Voda sort the issue with MER ouit I will be turning my VSS off every night.... but as of now I have a PPOA connection on a 94.*.*.* address which connects the VSS perfectly..... Nothing wrong with the VSS itself but the issue is firmly with either the MER protocol or most likey the specifice 2.*.*.* range your Sky router is using.

After such a long time waiting for a solution it seems you really need to take action into your own hands!

But a note to Vodafone we still need VSS to work with MER becuase these routers will inevitably upgrade at some point we can't keep switching them off every night.

I wish you all luck and the joy of FULL SIGNAL.

Hi Romper20,

That's really good work!!

It's interesting that you revert back to the previous range and it works. This would add weight to the argument that the  Full range may not be white listed (this has been confirmed as such with my  Support team)

I've emailed my support team about this revelation as I am very interested in their response to this, and have asked them to check this range is confirm. 

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

still not working...please re.sync again ..ip 2.219.86.207

Hi BenJ,

IT surely must point to an IP issue with the 2.219 range specifically. I have now had full signal for the last few days and will keep my router from updating firmware until this issue is resolved.

For those of you on 2.219 that are desperate and can't wait for Vodafone just follow my instructions and you will have full signal until such a time Vodafone identifies the issue with this IP range.

Regards

Hi Ben,

I am still not working after over a week now, despite all my factory re-sets, tracerts and pathpings.

IP address 2.223.11.62

Sure Signal serial number 21231092871

Very frustrating as a Vodafone corporate business user trying to work from home :Sad_face:

Garry