Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Dougal95

Re: New Sure Signal - Steady Power Light Only

Please take no further action on my device. Tech support in Egypt have FINALLY sorted the problem.

Thanks though...

Message 901 of 2,349 (9,567 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi Dougal95,

Thanks for the update, it's good to know your Sure Signal is now working as it should.

If you have any further questions, you know where to find us.

Thanks

Andy

Message 902 of 2,349 (9,565 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
kilimax

Simon,

the main issue I have apart from this bloody thing not working is complete lack of information and updates from Vodafone, either through the eForum, e-mail or by telephone. This is the most frustrating part. If I were kept in the loop over what you are doing to resolve my issues, I would be slightly happier but I get absolutely nothing for 5-7 days at a time and a reply only when I yell!

As for not being able to re-synch my Sure Signal, this is because I was sent a replacement device a few weeks ago. This is known to Vodafone and I've even supplied the serial number of the replacement device to assist with getting to the bottom of the issue. I de-registered the old device as your system would not allow me to have two devices registered at the same post code.

I have now de-registered the new device and will re-register the original device today as there is no point in continuing with the replacement as it doesn't work either.

Can I just reitterate again that this did work and flawlessly until December 13th last year when it went offline and since that time, I'vemanaged to get it working for a few days here and there by having the device re-synched or by resetting it.

Nothing has changed with either my ISP or my router settings.

Drew

Message 903 of 2,349 (9,561 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi kilimax,

Simon was aware of the newest Serial Number, but apologies for any crossed wires.

I've have checked with James for any updates on this issue from when he raised this and we have had no new information at this time, so this has been chased for you.

As you mentioned on the last page, the fact you have the same issue on two boxes would seem to point more towards the connection than the boxes themselves, so I'm still unsure that there hasn't been a change of some kind by the ISP or a router update of some kind. Do you have an alternate connection, such as a friend's, that the Sure Signal can be tested at? 

Whatever the cause, I'm confident that the source will be identified.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 904 of 2,349 (9,542 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey kilimax,

This thread has a number of customers seeing similar symptoms and our 3rd line technical teams have been receiving calls regarding this.

Could you head over to the thread and let me know your ISP please?

Cheers,

Lee

Message 905 of 2,349 (9,539 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
kilimax

Thanks Lee. I'll head over to there right now and post some info.

Cheers

Drew

Message 906 of 2,349 (9,536 Views)
pcumberlidge

Okay. I have just moved my business to Vodafone on the basis of VSS. We have one in the office which seems to work very well, and I need one at home as the signal is not brilliant. One of my employees also had one at his home - he had no signal at all and is delighted with the reception he now gets.

So so far so good until I then tried to install one at home where the network signal can be a little up and down. I registered my VSS 48 hrs ago and since then I have a steady red light but the other two are just flashing which I assume means they cannot get an internet connection. Over the weekend I have done everything to get my VSS to work with my BT Home Hub 2.0. I have followed every bit of advice on this site and the BT site (not that I can guarantee that I have done everything correctly) but I have repeated everything at least twice. I have spent an age trying to sort out something that I thought would be so simple. 

I have just about given up on this unless anybody can please advise what to do, simple advice how to do it and if anything is really going to work. I have followed all the advice on portforward.com but it all seems a bit flaky to me and when I ran there port checker test it would appear that the reevant ports, 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500, etc etc are not open but I have no idea how to get them open. Given that I have a VSS working fine in my office and one at an employees home then I guess that unless this is a faulty VSS (which I doubt), the fault lies with the BT hub. But I have no idea how to fix it.

For information my VSS no, is 40120226077.

Thanks

Message 907 of 2,349 (9,505 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi pcumberlidge,

Many thanks for your post here.

When you have a solid power light and flashing system and phone light, it will usually indicate that the Sure Signal is downloading a new profile from the server.

Can I ask if this has changed at all?

The reason that I ask is that I can see that the Sure Signal connected to our server this morning and now seems to be connecting fine.

If you are still having trouble please can you let me know the results of the following;

Speed Test

Ping Test

Traceroute (instructions below)

Once I have this information I will be able to help you further if required.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC :

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177    press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 908 of 2,349 (9,451 Views)
pcumberlidge

Hi James,

Thanks for your help. No change in the lights status which have been the same since last Friday despite several resets.

Speed test - 2.9MB/s download; 0.25MB/upload

Ping test - 65ms (on speedtest.net); 97ms (on pingtest.net) 47 ms jitter - then did it again and it was 193ms and 148ms!?

VSS Trace Route command:

‘212.183.133.177’ is not a recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. 

Hope this helps.

Message 909 of 2,349 (9,429 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi pcumberlidge,

Thanks for getting back to me with your speed test results.

I have taken a look at the results and can see that the issue is with your Broadband speed.

The Sure signal requires a minimum of 1MB/ps Download and 0.3 MB/ps Upload to work.

As you can see the speeds aren’t fully within the parameters of the Sure signal which is why it can’ connect to the server to establish a stable VPN connection.

You will need to speak with your Broadband provider to see if there is anything that they can do regarding the speed in your area.

James

Message 910 of 2,349 (9,414 Views)
pcumberlidge

James,

I am surprised about this as we have a VSS working fine in the office where the upload speed is generally just over 0.3MB/s but it still works fine with anything from 0.2 upwards. Below this there can be a problem and obviosuly much lower than 0.1 and it is definitely an issue (I have been keeping a close watch on speed vs call quality). Also the speed does vary at home so there are times when it is over 0.3MB/s (depending on time of day, day of week etc) so I would suspect that there is times when the speed is sufficient, but unlike the one I have in the office the one at home has NEVER appeared to have configured and established a connection. I would have thought that it would be the same as the office i.e. it would have established a connection at some point but call quality would be poor/not work below a certain level. Are you saying that unless you can get a consistent upload >0.3 it will never configure? This does not appear consistent with the one I set up in the office where the speed is often below 0.3MB/s.

Secondly most of the options reported with the BT Home Hub has been in terms of ports being opened. Given that it has never configured may this still be an issue. As such  I'm not fully convinced that the broadband speed is the sole route of the problem but  I will run a few speed tests over the next day or two to see how this goes and build up a picture and will let you know.

Any further thoughts on this?  

Thanks

Message 911 of 2,349 (9,408 Views)
pcumberlidge

James,

Just a point to make to Vodafone, the Vodafone website says "just connect Sure Signal to a fixed-line home or office broadband with a minimum speed of 1MB". It doesn't say upload or download but I assume from your email it means download. I cannot find anywhere on the sales area of the website where it says a minimum upload of 0.3MB. I only heard this from others. There needs to be more clarity about this. Anyway as said I will run some speedtests

pcumberlidge

Message 912 of 2,349 (9,405 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
realdannys

[ Edited ]

Hi

Specs first.

Orange Broadband (5.5meg down, 0.7mb up)

Netgear DGN1000 Router

Originally ran a Suresignal 1 with the same problem but this week bought a SureSignal 2 hoping it would fix it

Serial number: 40120248428

As per the title topic, only getting red light with no other lights on box (same thing - or eqivlent, with Sure Signal 1 which we figured was broken)

The original SureSignal worked fine for a couple of years on our diabolical o2 connection which wasn't ADSL2+ and had so much packet loss i was impossible to stream anything. We upgraded to Orange LLC about a 6-7 months ago for twice as fast up and down speed and importantly a solid stable connection without packet loss.

Now Im assuming my issues are occuring because of Orange broadband and/or the Orange Netgear router.

The Suresignal is only one of two devices connected to the router. Ive troubleshooted every problem in the intro. It just refuses to connected.

Ive tried deactivating and reactivating on the account yesterday, factory reset the suresignal 2 again and left it 24 hours nothing.

unPNP is working on my router, but I forwarded ports correctly for the suresignal anyway, im sure it worked when we first transfered to Orange for a while so I have no idea whats changed. Ive even tried putting the SureSignal as the DMZ device so nothing can block it totally rulling out anything the router/firewall could do and still it wont connect. 

Im totally out of ideas, there cannot be a problem our end and its unlikely there is something wrong with the suresignal box, there must be an issue with you allowing my IP to connect ot the servers or something similar. I found a thread about Orange IPs but noticed near the end you had added my IP range to the white list and this fixed it for everyone in the thread, but not for me.

Theres obviously something seriously wrong here but im hoping we can get to the bottom of it and we can start using this device aagain as we dont even get a basic phone signal at home.

Just wanted to add these details to save time too.

SpeedTest.net.

Png 36ms

Down: 5.5mb

Up: 0.61mb

Pingtest:

(packet loss tests refuse to run on this site for some reason...perhaps that is a traceroute issue too? I can tell you there is no packetloss on the connection through via other tests ive run in the past and via the work I do)

Ping: 59ms

Jitter: 9ms

B* Result.

Traceroute results.

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 4.325 ms 2.786 ms 2.804 ms
2 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 3.379 ms 2.576 ms 2.149 ms
3 213.1.113.56 (213.1.113.56) 38.255 ms 41.562 ms 37.984 ms
4 213.1.118.238 (213.1.118.238) 59.133 ms 26.865 ms 19.081 ms
5 213.1.78.18 (213.1.78.18) 27.197 ms 25.724 ms 43.341 ms
6 213.1.79.2 (213.1.79.2) 27.229 ms 27.717 ms 26.560 ms
7 213.1.79.85 (213.1.79.85) 25.280 ms 27.371 ms 25.649 ms
8 87.237.20.246 (87.237.20.246) 26.569 ms 26.282 ms 26.947 ms
9 ae1-0.lontr2.london.opentransit.net (193.251.254.33) 26.381 ms 27.160 ms 27.000 ms
10 tengige0-13-1-0.lontr1.london.opentransit.net (193.251.242.238) 29.709 ms 28.181 ms
tengige0-15-0-1.lontr1.london.opentransit.net (193.251.243.33) 35.005 ms
11 level3-1.gw.opentransit.net (193.251.150.70) 26.816 ms 26.747 ms 41.798 ms
12 * ae-1-51.edge4.london1.level3.net (4.69.139.74) 36.887 ms *
13 195.50.122.66 (195.50.122.66) 39.339 ms 34.561 ms 31.656 ms
14 85.205.116.6 (85.205.116.6) 45.678 ms 46.204 ms 45.391 ms
15 * * *

NOTE: These tests are run form my Macbook Air on the wifi network - so should be slightly better with lower ping for the SureSignal hardwired drectly to the modem/router.

Message 913 of 2,349 (9,399 Views)
realdannys

Hello?? I realise the support for the SureSignal is not fantastic but its been 24 hours without even an acknowledgement of my post with all the info you could get. We've bought two SureSignal boxes, been a customer for years and haven't been able to use this for 7-8 months now. We need it sorting ASAP, we can't use our phone at home and it costs a fortune to make calls to other mobile networks from the house phone.
Message 914 of 2,349 (9,353 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi realdannys and welcome to the eForum

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this.

I certainly sounds as though it’s theOrangeconnection that’s causing this. You’ve been through pretty much everything in our troubleshooting guide and set it up as instructed. There isn’t really much more you can do other than contact your ISP and see if there is anything that they can suggest.

Has your router assigned the Sure Signal an IP address ok?

Just for arguments sake, could you try the Sure Signal on another connection to rule out the device as the cause of the problem?

Thanks

Wayne

Message 915 of 2,349 (9,351 Views)
realdannys

Wayne, thanks for getting back to me.

Im ruling ou the device simply because we have a SureSignal 1 as well which has exactly the same problem. The chances of both devices being defective (especially when one worked for over a year) is unlikely.

Further more it seems insane that our now vastly improved connection is not working with the device when the terrible one through o2 did.

Really though its not Orange Broadbands responsibility to change anything, its your responsibility to make sure your device universally works on internet networks. It did originally work with Orange when we first got it, if they change something on their network then the SureSignal needs a fireware upgrade to fix this.

I cannot understand how a box cannot just make a simple connection with the network when it has internet access the same way every other device I have in my house, its not the broadband providers fault its the (and judging by these forums) very tempremental, flakey and delicate SureSignal box fault.

Yes the box gets an IP address from the router - what exactly would I be contacting my Broadband provider about. This is just going to waste more time here as Im fully expecting to get the reply back that there is no reason why the network would block anything and they cannot offer support on a device they didnt make...

Message 916 of 2,349 (9,347 Views)
realdannys

Also for arguments sake, not that Orange are going to be able to help in anyway, but exactly what IP is the SureSignal box trying to connect to that might be getting blocked by Orange's network for whatever reason.
Message 917 of 2,349 (9,346 Views)
pcumberlidge

James,

What can I say? I came home from work this evening to find that after 6 days of flashing lights, a steady single light and a configured VSS!! And if appears to be working fine. FIngers crossed that we have finally got there. Will let you know otherwise. 

Thanks again for your help.

Message 918 of 2,349 (9,335 Views)
notsosure

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Same problem as the rest. Solid red light only. Tried resetting device pushing reset button and reinserting power cable, no change.

Broadband speeds 12mb download 0.8mb upload.

SS has been registered since ~9am yesterday so it has been over 24hours.

All ports are open, 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500, SS has static IP assigned. Router is Netgear DGND3700 but I am connecting through an access point which is a similar device Netgear WNDR3700. I have reset both router and access point, still no change.

I even changed the cat5 cable with no result, not surprisingly. Also, the SS did previously work when I tested it a month or so ago.

Tracert:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 8 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 12 ms 9 ms 9 ms 217.32.140.67
3 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms 217.32.140.30
4 12 ms 10 ms 9 ms 217.41.216.138
5 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 217.32.26.22
6 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 217.32.26.178
7 9 ms 12 ms 10 ms acc1-10GigE-0-2-0-7.bm.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.
248.110]
8 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms core2-te-0-10-0-7.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
248.18]
9 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms peer1-xe0-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.132]
10 19 ms 18 ms 21 ms LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 19 ms 19 ms 17 ms 85.205.116.6
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I am an advanced IT user and have spent about 10hours troubleshooting this white box - if only it had an interface and feedback of some sort! It's very frustrating working with a box with LED's and nothing more.

Would appreciate help with this please, thanks.

Message 919 of 2,349 (9,223 Views)
notsosure

Forgot to add my serial number 40120156357.
My ISP is BT.
Message 920 of 2,349 (9,217 Views)