Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
whm
Rank 1: Guest
whm

Re: New Sure Signal - Steady Power Light Only

Hi all,

Both my SS boxes came back on line last nigt too. All this looks very much like there was a technical problem at Vodafone's server, which suddenly got fixed, because guess what, when my boxes came back on line I had deleted all the port forwarding on my router !! 

whm

Message 981 of 2,332 (9,023 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
SkudMissile

Mine didn last long - a few hours late last night and this morning still working after disabling airplane mode from overnight but I went out at 8am for four hours and now it's dead again, same as before just the power light. Internet hasn't dropped and still running 6.4/0.4 meg. Yet another reset and wait for someone to throw a bit of cheese at the mouse and tell him to start spinning the wheel at vodafone's server end......
Message 982 of 2,332 (9,004 Views)
gssaw

James and the Tech Team.

After 2 days without touching a thing, the power light is now on and the phone light comes on when I try to make a call but I am definately not getting 3G on any of the mobiles attributed to my VSS. What is going on?

gssaw.

Message 983 of 2,332 (8,996 Views)
Tech Team
James

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your posts here, please find a response to your posts below;

@ ghotihed,  I would try a reset on the Sure Signal and the router first before speaking with Sky however, if this still doesn’t shed any light on the issue please let me know the answer to the questions below as we may need to raise your issue as it is possible that there is a wider spread issue.

VSS Factory Reset

Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)

Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.

Once all lights display release the reset button.

The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

@ redsquirrel, I can see that you have mentioned that your Sure Signal is now working again however, please can you answer the questions at the bottom of this thread so that we can raise the issue with our support teams for you if you are still experiencing this issue.

@gsaw, as you are now up and running but are not picking up and 3G signal it could be a an issue due to the server migrations that is ongoing at the moment. Please follow the instructions at the bottom of post 1 here and we can get this checked for you.

@skudmissile, I can see that your Sure Signal has connected to our server in the early hours of the morning and you have mentioned in the thread that it is now working again which means that there isn’t any issues with the equipment or the Vodafone server however, if you are still having issues today, please can you let me know the information at the bottom of my post.

@ gwyn_carwardine, the 2-6 hour time frame is the time that the Sure Signal can take to download and install a new profile or any software updates onto the Sure Signal and also make a stable VPN connection with the server.

I can see that this was completed at 22:18 last night which was when a stable VPN connection was made to our server.

If you are still experiencing the solid power light only issue, please post the details requested in the bottom of my post so it can be passed to our support teams.

@ danhowes, The Sure signal doesn’t have any issues with MER and we have a number of users on the eForum that use the Sure Signal on Sky using MER.

I can see that everything looks OK with your traceroute however please can you let me know the Sure Signal serial number and the results of a speed test and ping test so we can look at your issue further.

@ DieTryin, I can see that your Sure Signal also connected to the server last night to complete the registration, please can you let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.

@ Danny72, I believe that you may have also be included in same issue affecting the users above and your Sure signal connected to the server last night, please can you confirm if you are still experiencing any issues or if the Sure Signal is now up and running.

@ chrispayze, your registration also looks fine and should now be working, please can you test this and if you are still having issues please let me know so that we can go through a few more troubleshooting steps with you.

@ RacineFan, please can you let me know your Sure Signal serial number so we can check the registration and server connection for you.

@ mouldy3, your Sure Signal also completed its registration and connected to the server late last night, please can you check this again and let us know if the issue remains.

@ drewyd, your Sure Signal also completed its registration and connected to the server late last night, please can you check this again and let us know if the issue remains.

@ whm, I’m pleased that your Sure Signal is back up and running.

If I have asked for details at the bottom of the post and your Sure signal isn’t working yet please let me know the following;

Has it ever worked?

Serial number

Make and Model of handset/s

Light sequence

ISP

Make and model of router

Conformation ports are open

Upload speed

Download speed

Traceroute

External IP address

Has the unit been tested in another location?

Is this being used in a residential or commercial environment?

Has the connection been confirmed as PPPoA?

I understand that this information has been requested before however, having everything in one post will help us get this raised for you if required.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 984 of 2,332 (8,966 Views)
whm
whm

James,

Is it conceivable that the majority of the problems that people have been experiencing were due to these "server migrations" that you mention in your post ?

Just for clarity, both my SS2 boxes are now working with NO PORTS FORWARDED ( which has always been a red hering because the SS2 initiates the connection and therefore, the ports fowarded, which only apply to incoming traffic from the net have no affect whatsoever ) and it is working on pppoe, which a number of people at your end told me would not work under any circumstances. It does appear that your technical assistance scripts on your telephone helplines need updating ( that is if Vodafone are serious about customer service )

whm

Message 985 of 2,332 (8,956 Views)
KayfanxAllen

[ Edited ]

Got my SureSignal box today and it connected without any issues that people on here are describing.

Plugged it in > Registered > took less than half an hour for it to sync and connect.

Even moved it usptairs and reregistered it. Took 5 minutes for it to resync.

ISP BT Infinity

Message 986 of 2,332 (8,947 Views)
SkudMissile

James,

My suresignal has come back online earlier today after this mornings downtime again and has so far stayed up.

For reference info as requested below in bold:

Has it ever worked? - Yes although several recent instances of full signal with text but no call ability until power cycled

Serial number - 21224713541

Make and Model of handset/s - Apple iPhone 4 32GB, ISO 5.1

Light sequence - when faulted only power light, sometimes slow flashing second light

ISP - Zen

Make and model of router - Netgear DGN2200, latest firmware

Conformation ports are open - ports 50, 123, 500, 4500 & 8 all UDP and forwarded to 192.168.0.20 (reserved by mac address for VSS)

Upload speed - 0.38 Meg

Download speed - 6.03 Meg (ping 41ms)

Traceroute:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    41 ms    42 ms    41 ms  losubs.subs.dsl13.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.20]

3    42 ms    46 ms    42 ms  ge-2-1-0-200.cr1.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.201]

4    57 ms    54 ms    54 ms  ge-3-0-0-0.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.45]
  5    60 ms    53 ms    56 ms  LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  6    51 ms    50 ms    51 ms  85.205.116.2
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

External IP address - fixed by ISP as 82.69.126.162

Has the unit been tested in another location? - no but previously owned/used without issue by my brother at his home

Is this being used in a residential or commercial environment? - Residential in loft, location set to 2

Has the connection been confirmed as PPPoA - yes

Message 987 of 2,332 (8,924 Views)
NickPKK

Hi

I have seen your post regarding changes to make. I have had this problem since I was upgraded to BT Infinity last week. The VSS has light 1 on - after reset it cycles once through lightes 2,3,4 then pauses - light 4 flashes for a few minutes then just light 1 remains on.

I have a BT Home Hub 3 and have tried to set up a new application for port forwarding (which worked ok) but I couldn't see any place to put the IP addresses you mentioned. It won't let me assign the application I defined to the VSS device. It comes up with error "Conflict. If using VPN termintion equipment in DMZ BT Openzone & BT wi-fi should be disabled first". These services are in fact disabled as is the DMZ so no idea what it is referring toi. DHCP is also set up. Any ideas?

My ISP is BT and my VSS serial number is #21196909853.

Regards

Nick

Message 988 of 2,332 (8,915 Views)
SkudMissile

I spoke too soon again - it has now failed in the last hour or two and only has the power light on - no change in internet connection, speeds or power.

All results are as per my previous extensive post above.

So, is this a widespread vodafone problem or do I have a knackered VSS box that needs replacement (and if so am I entitled to one free of charge?)

Please advise and don't patronise me with the usual reset and wait several hours, read my previous results!

Message 989 of 2,332 (8,894 Views)
SkudMissile

Oh and as soon as I press submit it comes back up - what the hell is going on with this service???!!!!

Message 990 of 2,332 (8,893 Views)
gssaw

James, Lee et al.

Thank you for whatever you have done at your end, my VSS is now working a treat.  It didn’t help that my new Blackberry from work was not configured properly and that my own iPhone 4S wouldn’t latch onto the signal.  A bit of deep thought, a bit of fiddling and the iPhone and VSS are now talking (3G and 5 bars) – I have added what I did to the iPhone thread in case it might help others.  Corporate services have promised to sort the Blackberry tomorrow.

Gssaw – now a relieved customer.

Message 991 of 2,332 (8,880 Views)
gwyn_carwardine

Wow, came home today after 2 days working away. And now it's working... well almost... my samsung galaxy is working but my work nokia old style phone is not connecting despite it's number being registered and turning off and on etc.

Now when I try and use the website to manage numbers I get an error, And now I'm having difficulty logging in.

Message 992 of 2,332 (8,873 Views)
gwyn_carwardine

OK, just realised my Nokia business phone is not a 3g phone. Swapped the handset for a spare 3g one and all ok. So I don't know what made it suddenly come alive but glad it did :smileysurprised:)  finally. 

Message 993 of 2,332 (8,870 Views)
a722

James wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts here.

@ a722,  To be honest with you’re the first thing that I notice from the traceroute is the time out at step 2 however, I can see that you also have a router that uses a VPN firewall.

I would look at this firewall firstly as the Sure Signal uses a VPN connection create the secure connection to the Femto network.

Please can you try to deactivate this Firewall and then let me know if you have any further issues a long with a new traceroute with the Firewall disabled.

James

Thanks James for your suggestion.

I connected my laptop to the DMZ port of my Netgear router, which should bypass the firewall. But it still times out on step 2. Any further suggestions?

I promise it will not take me another month to get back to you :smileyhappy:

Message 994 of 2,332 (8,850 Views)
SkudMissile

Mine is down again this morning, worked first thing after switching my phone on but has failed again sometime since, just power light on.
As usual there is no change in my Internet access etc, results all as previous postings.
Message 995 of 2,332 (8,849 Views)
DieTryin

Mine's currently working - many thanks!

Message 996 of 2,332 (8,847 Views)
SkudMissile

A straightforward power cycle has got mine back on again now after about 20 mins. Not exactly convienient when the the unit is located in my loft (for best coverage around my house)
Message 997 of 2,332 (8,841 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey guys,

Thanks to you all for your posts.

@ whm - This is definitely a possibility, though we were not informed that the migrations would have had that effect. I take your points regarding the customer service agents and will pass your comments back to the business.

@ KayfanxAllen - Glad to hear it :smileywink:

@ SkudMissile - Thanks for continually updating us. I'm pleased to read you're back up. I'm afraid I can't to anything about the location of your VSS :smileyvery-happy:

@ NickPKK - Thanks for coming back to us. I've taken a look at your VSS and can see there have been a couple of location change attempts on the 13/04/12. Have you instigated this, by any chance? The dates of the location changes correspond to the last time the VSS connected to our servers.

I've forced a resync of your device. Please factory reset as per the instructions at the end of my post and let me know how you get on.

@ gssaw - You're welcome! I'm pleased to see you are back online :smileyhappy:

@ gwyn_carwardine - A common mistake to make. I've seen it posted before on the eForum. I can confirm that only 3G enabled phones are compatible with the VSS :smileywink: I'm also pleased to see you're online again.

@ a722 - It's not been that long :smileywink: Nearly, but not quite! The traceroute is timing out before it hits our servers. I'm therefore unable to provide further assistance and instead you will need to contact your ISP to advise them that you are trying to set up a VSS but the request to open a VPN is timing out at hop 2. They should be able to advise further.

@ DieTryin - Nice work, thanks for letting us know.

Factory Rest your VSS

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Cheers guys,

Lee

Message 998 of 2,332 (8,838 Views)
RDFush

Hi,

Am experiencing the steadylight fault - have checked port forwarding and followed reset instructions but no joy, serial is 21230507903

Any ideas?

regards

RD

Message 999 of 2,332 (8,829 Views)
gwyn_carwardine

In case anyone's interested I have the following comments from a network expert at a large univiersity who has looked at these boxes and talks about "their annoying requirement to QoS profile the line for 6 hours or so before attempting to set up a link and their ###### behaviour on enterprise networks"

So that may explain the 6 hours wait - would be nice if there was a little more openness about what it's doing. I'm sure a need for QoS profiling could be explained in layman's terms (not saying whether it's valid or not)

Message 1000 of 2,332 (8,822 Views)