buster69

Re: New Sure Signal - Steady Power Light Only

Also forgot to mention s/s 40121028845

Message 1061 of 2,354 (9,269 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
pembsgtr

Lee,

In from work VSS still connected, made a phone call, now connection has dropped and still trying to sync.

One thing I have noticed is that the VSS unit seems to run very hot.

Viv

Message 1062 of 2,354 (9,254 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
HughL60

[ Edited ]

I have carefully followed the Sure Signal set up instructions but it is not working. First I activated it online, entered all the details then clicked on add users (as part of the activation). However, I then received the following error...

Error invoking portlet "VAPGatewayController" 

... with lots of diagnostic messages which I can post if you wish. At this point it was unclear whether my Sure Signal had been activated or not but it looked as if it had failed. I tried again and the same thing happened. I tried for a 3rd time but decided not to add users at this point but to just activate the device. Again it appeared to fail.

A minute or two later, I received an email saying that it had been activated, so proceded to attach the Sure Signal device to my router and to a power source. The automatic configuration started off. However, after about 15 minutes the flashing signal and phone lights have both gone off and I am left with just the red power light.

My broadband router is definitiely connected to the Internet, otherwise I could not post this!

I am left thinking that the activation of my router did fail but the system sees it as registered still.

What is the likely cause of this problem and what do I do next?

Thanks

Message 1063 of 2,354 (9,238 Views)
HughL60

[ Edited ]

I discovered the Trouble Shooting post after posting the above. I have followed the "Power Light On" troubleshooting guide and my responses are below:

Wait 24 hours – not done yet (obviously)
Check for Planned Maintenance – done, none scheduled as far as I can see

Check that your Sure Signal has been registered successfully – email confirmation received and shown online as registered

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and your Router/Modem.
Link light on back of Sure Signal is on
Check that you have an active Internet connection – yes, am using the connection on PC
Reboot your Router / Modem – not done yet (because of initial “Wait 24 hours”)

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your Router
I can see that it has an IP address and the router uses DHCP
Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding. – not sure how to check if it us automatic but it is a straightforward device – Thomson Router on a Plusnet service.

Post your Router details.
Thomson TG585 v7, Software Release 7.4.4.7

Other information

Browser  - Firefox 11.0

OS - Windows Vista

Message 1064 of 2,354 (9,233 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses.

@ realdannys - that's a shame about the IP address. The only thing I can think of now would be to try the device on another connection such as a friend's or relatives. If that throws the same symptoms then we need to look at a possible replacement.

@ bga47 - Your IP isn’t on the whitelist so I've requested for it to be included. Once I've had a response I'll update you.

@ pembsgtr - It shouldn’t be getting hot. Please follow the instructions in my PM and we'll take a closer look :smileywink:

@ buster69 - your VSS has never connected to our servers. It could be that you were affected by the recent provisioning issue. I've forced a resync to see if that kicks it into life but need you to factory reset it for the resync to take full effect. Please see below for how to factory reset the VSS.

@ HughL60 - Please could you let me know your VSS serial number?

VSS Factory Reset

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Cheers everyone,

Lee

Message 1065 of 2,354 (9,203 Views)
HughL60

Thanks Lee. In the last 30 minutes or so the Sure Signal seemed to retry its auto-configuration routne and this time it completed with the signal light on. All seems to be working. Maybe I just needed more patience. Might be worth adding to the instructions that come with it that it may take time.

Message 1066 of 2,354 (9,201 Views)
pembsgtr

Now you see it, now you don't after a short period of being connected my VSS has reverted back to sync/connect mode. Power light on constant, two other lights flashing slowly for a while then quicker and then slower again with failure to connect ;-(

Lee,

i have responded to your PM. 

Message 1067 of 2,354 (9,196 Views)
pembsgtr

Woo hoo all is back online now with my VSS. How long is it going to behave?

When its working it is a fantastic piece of kit, my old victorian terrace house with thick walls can get a good signal wherever I am within the house but without the VSS ,the phone signal fades in and out resulting in lost connections.

3g dowloads are as good as wireless when the VSS is connected and working correctly.

Message 1068 of 2,354 (9,191 Views)
realdannys

@Lee, As mentioned in the first post I doubt its the device itself as I also have a SureSignal V1 here which does exactly the same. Hence the reason for buying the V2 box. So its not an issue with the box.

Message 1069 of 2,354 (9,182 Views)
petejf

Hi  I have the same issue on my father in law's sure signal.

No matter what I have done I still end up with the same issue. therefore I fell it needs a re-sync

I have set udp/tcp settings on BT Home hub for 50, 500, 7123 (or 1723 - cant recall), 123, 4500 and 8.

I have also set upnp to yes and VPN 500 to yes.

Following this I have also check by broadband speed etc and have 8.3MB donwload, 0.43mb upload and 42ms ping If I recall correctly which according to the forum should be sufficient.

Running a traceroute to the IP address proposed in another thread I get a failure with timeout errors.

I have also, re booted, waited 24 hours, checked it is registered (it is) , rebooted router etc - all with no success

serial number 40114258524

I have the IP address also of the device that I can send to anyone who is able to re-sync etc.

thanks

Pete

Apologies I posted this to another thread but this is marked solved so my request for re-sync/fix may go un noticed there

Message 1070 of 2,354 (9,165 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Welshman1982

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone, looks like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. Sure signal (original version) has had only the power light on steady a few tImes throughout the early hours of the morning for the last few days but this has been intermittently occurring for quite some time now.

Today (5th May) as of just around 5pm its gone again. Now only the power light is on steady nothing else. Tried resets and resetting my router but to no avail.

Using a BT Home Hub 2.0
ISP = BT
Sure Signal Serial Number:-21229664178

Had to use landline to call Vodafone as without SureSignal working mobile hovers between one bar & no signal. Person I spoke to claims that no problems with the SureSignal service and my box must just be broke they want £50 for a new one!

SureSignal is usually too hot to touch when it's working. Just now when picked it up to get the serial number it's stone cold.
Message 1071 of 2,354 (9,160 Views)
Roundoak

Hi Lee,

I have tried a VSS re-set a couple of times but unfortunately it has not worked.

Please can you get back to me ASAP as it has been down for over a week now.

Many thanks

Message 1072 of 2,354 (9,134 Views)
NickPKK

OK - tried the VSS on my daughter's Sky broadband and it worked ok first time - still mot working on my BT Infinity broadband

Message 1073 of 2,354 (9,129 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Welshman1982

After 2 more calls to Vodafone (first one guy hung up as soon as Sure Signal was mentioned) got through to 2nd Line Tech Team who thought the ethernet socket could be faulty. Offered to send in for repair but couldn't say how long it'd be. Really need working mobile this week and next as expecting some improtant calls.

Tried logging into my Vodafone Account but each time I select My SureSignal I'm met with the same error message:-

Unable to render /framework/skeletons/vodafoneDefault/head.jsp

Same message on 3 different web browsers. Gave up on that and got some compressed air and a cotton bud to try cleaning the ethernet port. Something must have worked as after plugging it all back in (without resetting) within 20 minutes its back working.

Fingers crossed it keeps working. 

Message 1074 of 2,354 (9,120 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Everyone.

@HughL60 – That’s great that it’s all working now. Yes, sometimes it can take a little while to fully register. I’m glad it’s up and running for you though :smileyhappy:

@pembsgtr – Can you let us know how you get on and if you have any more issues? I’m happy yours has kicked in :smileyhappy:

@realdannys – Can you try this for me?

Find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

• Perform hard rest of the VSS unit by
    • Hold in the reset button until all the light go solid
    • Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
    • Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
    • Wait for all of the lights to come on the release the reset button

The VSS will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

@petejf – I’ve resynchronised this for you now. Please could you perform a factory reset?

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Can you let me know how you get on?

@Welshman1982 – I’m glad yours had kicked in now. Keep us updated if you have any more issues.

@Roundoak – From our troubleshooting information on page one:

In order to connect to your network and the Internet, the Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your Router. If your Router supports DHCP, this must be enabled. Doing so will enable the Router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For detailed instructions on how to enable this, please consult your Router manual, or contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer.

If your Router or network configuration does not allow DHCP, then you will need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address, using your Router's configuration panel. Please consult your ISP or Router Manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal unit.

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

If none of this works can you let me know you external IP address please?

@NickPKK – Can you let me know your external IP address? We’ll need to check to make sure it’s definitely on our white list. I’ll be honest with you though, we’re running out of options, especially given that the Sure Signal works on another connection. Let me know though, and we’ll check it out.

Thanks everyone,

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions just let us know.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 1075 of 2,354 (9,050 Views)
jules4pm

Ive had a sure signal since January 2012. It is fully registered and was working fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Now it sits there with just the red power light on, but will occasionally come back to life and work for about an hour before cutting off again.

This is very frustrating and i have been cut off mid call several times now,

nothing else about my network, the setup or location of the box has changed since i originally installed it in January.  For the first few months it worked perfectly, always available, always connected etc.

I have done various resets on the device according to instructions on here but its makes no difference.

Please advise.

Message 1076 of 2,354 (9,047 Views)
jules4pm

Just received an email saying I have a private message in the Vodafone eForum - Where do I read this?
Message 1077 of 2,354 (9,045 Views)
pembsgtr

Wayne,

All still seems well with the VSS, think will leave things as they are for now

Thanks

Message 1078 of 2,354 (9,017 Views)
allysarge

sure signal power light

Hi I bought my sure signal box yesterday and set it all up as it says in the book and it all worked fine,

woke up this morning and it was still working and has been all day but at about 6:30 this evening both the lights went out and I'm just left with the red power light, I don't understand how it could be working for nearly 24hours then suddenly stop

please please help I want my signal back on my phone

Ally

Message 1079 of 2,354 (9,008 Views)
davemelsome

3 Light Sure Signal

Hi,

Just recently been having issues with my Sure Signal just showing the power light and not getting a 3G signal on any of my registered devices.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dave

Message 1080 of 2,354 (8,991 Views)