cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure SIgnal Version 1 no longer working.

corky2036
3: Seeker

Hello,

I need some help with my VSS v1 that has suddenly stopped working.

I have had it for some years and (in general) it has been pretty good.  Recently though I have noticed i no longer get a signal in the house (Iphone 5, latest IOS 7.0.3), nor does my wife (Blackberry Curve 9360).

The SS box has all the correct lights on (1 and 2 are green, 3 is off, 4 is green).

I have tried resetting it and the router, putting a new ethernet cable on, but to no avail.

I have carried out the tests that appear to be required and the results are as follows:

Your IP Address is 87.115.170.237
Your IPV6 Address is ::ffff:5773:aaed

Speedtest PING= 43ms, Download= 4.98Mbps, Upload= 0.37Mbps

Pingtest Packetloss 0%, Ping 43ms, Jitter 1ms, Grade A.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\shaun.corcoran>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 44 ms 52 ms 52 ms lo0-central10.ptn-ag04.plus.net [195.166.128.193
]
3 45 ms 43 ms 44 ms link-a-central10.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.14
0]
4 67 ms 44 ms 47 ms xe-8-2-0.ptw-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.116]
5 49 ms 45 ms 49 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
6 45 ms 45 ms 42 ms 85.205.116.10
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I wondered if it needs a firmware update or a re-synch and I understand this can be done "over the air" by Vodafone.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Shaun

10 REPLIES 10

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for providing your details so far. Looking at the speedtest, traceroute and IP everything is fine so far. We do need to grab your Sure Signal serial number though just so we can check when it last 'touched base' this end. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I must have cut the serial number off the bottom of my post when cutting and pasting!

The serial Number is 21227736697.  As I said, its a version 1 and it is still not "playing ball".

Thanks for your assistance, look forward to your reply.

Shaun

Hi corky2036,

I’ve checked your serial number and it shows that a location change has been detected.

I’ve updated the system to remove this message.

I’ve also emailed our support team to get the latest version of firmware pushed out to your Sure Signal.

This can take up to 24 hours to go through so don’t unplug or reset the device in the meantime.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks,

Andrew

corky2036
Hi Andrew,

Still no joy im afraid with the VSS. The other problem i have is im unable to verify the current location as the VSS isnt registered to me. Instead it is still registered to the person I bought it off years ago. At the time vodafone were unable to transfer the ownership, as the system would not allow it. I was simply made an administrator. I seem to remember having no end of hassle as my mobile account is not with vodafone direct.

Are you able to register me as the owner, maybe then I can verify its location which will finally bring it back to life?

Many thanks and I hope we can soft this matter out soon!!

Shaun

Hi corky2036,

I’m afraid only the registered owner (the person you bought it from) can de-register the device. This would need to be done to put the device in your name.

Thanks

Wayne

corky2036
Oh just great!

Considering I bought it 4 years ago I have no idea who the registered owner is. It was due to Vodafones system at the time that I was unable to do anything about re-registering it as my mobile number us through a 3rd party and nit Vodafone direct.

Basically i have a lovely paperweight sat in my office.

Customer service at its best.

Hi corky2036,

We can't get around this for security. It has to be the original user who requests it.

Unless the account is managed by a third party, we'd still see it no matter where you bought the phone from. We'd still have needed to de-register the Sure Signal first before you could set it up on your account, though.

Dave

corky2036
Hi Dave,

I remember getting passed around at least 5 different people when i tried to (re) register it until someone finally had the idea of adding me as an admin to the box. Im not sure if the "owner" was ever contacted.

Can I assume that you have access to the "owners" details and that you may be able to email them to ask them to de-register it from their account?? Basically I am totally stuffed otherwise!

It may well be that it still doesnt work even if/when this is resolved, but at least its another thing eliminated.

Please help!

Hi corky2036,

We’d be unable to access the previous owners account without passing security on it.

This would prevent us from emailing them.

From your previous posts, if you’re no longer able to remember who you bought the Sure Signal from, we’d be unable to deregister it.

Thanks,

Andrew