Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 1 - Suddenly stopped working

MBB2011
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

We've had our Sure Signal 1 box for about 3 years now and it's always worked fine.  The last couple of weeks we had a fault with our BT phone line, though the broadband continued to work as did the Sure Signal box.  On the day before Christmas Eve the upload speed dropped to 0.11 and so the Sure Signal stopped working, however BT fixed the line the next day and our broadband speed is back up to a steady 6 mbs and upload to around 0.36 - 0.38, which is better than it was before the problem occured.  However, despite numerous resets over the last couple of days, following advice on here, it still won't work.  There's a steady green light on the back of the unit and the orange light is blinking sporadically.  On the front only the first green light indicating power is steady on.  When I do the reset the second light blinks green, but eventually goes out.

The serial number is 21230492437

ISP is BT using a BT Home Hub 4 (been using since January 2014 - no prior connectivity problems)

Broadband speed 6.23 Mbps

Upload 0.38

Ping 33

I have taken a look at the Home Hub and the Sure Signal box appears with an IP address of 192.168.1.65 Following the reset it states its Connected, but once it's given up trying is disappears from the Home Network screen.

We have all the usual household devices, computer, laptop, Xbox, iPads, iPhones etc.  All connecting to the internet with no problems. 

Maybe the box has died?!

Thanks in anticipation!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try getting a new power supply unit. Mine had the same problem and after plugging my SS1 into the new power supply it was up and running within 5 minutes.

Lots of threads with the same issues.

Get a 12v and miminum 1.5amp unit with a 2.5mm female jack.

Plenty available on a well known auction site. They are sometimes described as being for cctv cameras or led strip lights.

I was very sceptical but honestly it worked.

Try it - ignore the vodafone "experts". They come out with the standard speed/ping test. Try a different router etc etc. you will get more help from other posters.

Try a new power unit - chances are it will work as the symptoms you described were the same as mine.

View solution in original position

24 REPLIES 24

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @MBB2011 

The IP address doesn't appear as valid, so please make sure you check this on the router.

It hasn't updated since 27 December and there's a location change that hasn't fully updated.

I've pushed this through and arranged a resync.

To make sure the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour

If that doesn't work, please try the Sure Signal at a different address.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I've double checked on the IP address on the router and it definitely says 192.168.1.65

I've also done as you requested i.e. held the reset button down for 30 seconds, disconnected power cable, reconnected power cable holding reset button down and continued to hold until the lights flash again.  Its now been a couple of hours since I did that and I'm back to one solid power light.

By retrying the Sure Signal at a different address, do you literally mean take it round to the neighbours to see if it'll work there?

Many thanks

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MBB2011 

The IP address provided is a private internal IP address.

The one we need is the "external IP address" and this can be searched using an internet browser :smileywink:

When we ask you to try at another location we recommend a friend or family members, preferably with a different ISP.

DaveCD

Hi!

If all devices are given the same external IP Address, then the one that comes up when I google it is 86.165.193.227

Does that bring up anything?

Hi @MBB2011

Thanks for this information.

I’ve check this and the IP address is fine.

Please try the Vodafone Sure Signal in another location.

Cheers,

Laura

Thank you Laura,

I have the chance to try the box in another location today.  It's been so long since we set it up, I can't really remember what's involved.  Will it just be a case of plugging it into their router and seeing if all three lights light up or will I need to register a change of address etc before it'll work?

Thank you

Hi @MBB2011

Yes it is just a case of plugging in the Vodafone Sure Signal in to the router.

It’ll be handy to have access to the registration page, just to make sure that this is connecting.

Cheers,

Laura

Well, it did exactly the same as when plugged in here.  It goes through the routine with flashing lights, but eventually settled at just one.  I guess that means that it's given up doesn't it?

What can BT have done to the line to have caused this, or do you think it was purely a coincidence?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MBB2011 

There may have been an update. Please ensure that Smart setup is still disabled.

Unfortunately it sounds as though the Sure Signal may have developed a fault and will need replacing.

DaveCD