Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 1 - Suddenly stopped working

motatec
2: Seeker

Hi

My SS 1 has been working for 4 yrs with no problems unitl last week when it suddenly stopped.

I have rung about it serveral time & its still not working.

It runs through a BT 2 wire router (2701 HGV-C). Nothing has been changed or no other faults with any other equipement

Technical say its ISP ( BT ) fault, they emailed me this listed below. When I speak to BT they are sure about all of it & say sure signal is a plugn play ! I have carried out the settings with BT tech as far as we can go.

All rights are steady on inc the rear 2

Dear Customer, Kindly check the below requirements with your Internet service provider Requirements

1. The download Speed is 1 mbps or more, upload speed 0.36 mbps or more.

2. Some ports needs to be forwarded to allow the connection, they are 8 TCP UDP Unassigned 50 TCP UDP Remote Mail Checking Protocol 53 TCP UDP Domain Name System DNS 67 UDP Bootstrap Protocol BOOTP Server also used by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DHCP RX 68 UDP Bootstrap Protocol BOOTP Client also used by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DHCP TX 123 UDP Network Time Protocol NTP -used for time synchronization 500 UDP Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol ISAKMP 1723 TCP UDP Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol PPTP 4500 UDP IPSec NAT Traversal 33434 - 33445 UDP Traceroute for IP location check and bandwidth estimation Those ports have to be enabled for both TCP IP and UDP Please ask the ISP to assign a static IP for the Sure Signal box IP address for the MAC address found on the back of the Vodafone Sure signal box then enable the firewall for the provided ports.

3. The internet protocol connection should be PPPoA.

4. Latency should be less than 200ms.

5. Adjust the MTU packet size to 1500.

Best Regards Vodafone UK

This leaves me with no phone signal & caught between Vodafone & BT.

Any help would be greatly recieved - Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi motatec,

Try another power suppy unit, it might be your problem.

Further info here....

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good luck,

Mike.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

motatec

An undate -

All lights go out apart from power light - this seems to be all on for about an hour then lights off for 15 mins & then back on ?

cineriv

Hi motatec,

Try another power suppy unit, it might be your problem.

Further info here....

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good luck,

Mike.

Thanks cineriv

I've checked that - what I found is that the PSU was just over 12v, but when testing it my multi meter was showing an alert for high voltage, so I checked AC out of the PSU & it was flash up towards 100v AC. I have changed the PSU to a bench supply 12 DC 7amp.

Seems to be different now power light & internet connection light ( Light 2 ) are now on steady - but no more & still no signal.

Light 2 should indecate connected to Vodafone.

So now not sure if it is a SS fault due to the old PSU. But BT surgested changing the router, as I have the same at work I'll bring it back tomorrow after work & try that - if no I think its the SS unit.

If it is I don't think I will buy another, as its not for me as the customer to pay to prop up Vodafones network !

My contract is nearly up !

Hi again cineriv

Thanks for your help - its worked !!! It didn't for a couple of hours but turned phone off & back on 10 mins full signal !

Same Vodafone tech couldn't tell me that a week ago.

Suprising result but changing the PSU & turning phone off & on has worked.

Thanks

cineriv

Hi motatec,

That's very good  to hear, and makes it worthwhile spreading the news about V1 sure signal PSU's.

After 4-5 years continuous use,  it's not surprising that the capacitors are drying up and the 12V DC has a high ripple content. After all, they are only a cheap power supply and now only cost around £5-10 retail, or even less on the well known auction site. 

No doubt it won't be long before it will become to be a common feature on the V2. .... it's going to be expensive for the V3 users that have a built in PSU thou. 

If you are purchasing a replacement unit, I would recommend the 2 Amp version ..... less stress!

Regards,

Mike.