Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 1 - Suddenly stopped working

MBB2011
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

We've had our Sure Signal 1 box for about 3 years now and it's always worked fine.  The last couple of weeks we had a fault with our BT phone line, though the broadband continued to work as did the Sure Signal box.  On the day before Christmas Eve the upload speed dropped to 0.11 and so the Sure Signal stopped working, however BT fixed the line the next day and our broadband speed is back up to a steady 6 mbs and upload to around 0.36 - 0.38, which is better than it was before the problem occured.  However, despite numerous resets over the last couple of days, following advice on here, it still won't work.  There's a steady green light on the back of the unit and the orange light is blinking sporadically.  On the front only the first green light indicating power is steady on.  When I do the reset the second light blinks green, but eventually goes out.

The serial number is 21230492437

ISP is BT using a BT Home Hub 4 (been using since January 2014 - no prior connectivity problems)

Broadband speed 6.23 Mbps

Upload 0.38

Ping 33

I have taken a look at the Home Hub and the Sure Signal box appears with an IP address of 192.168.1.65 Following the reset it states its Connected, but once it's given up trying is disappears from the Home Network screen.

We have all the usual household devices, computer, laptop, Xbox, iPads, iPhones etc.  All connecting to the internet with no problems. 

Maybe the box has died?!

Thanks in anticipation!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try getting a new power supply unit. Mine had the same problem and after plugging my SS1 into the new power supply it was up and running within 5 minutes.

Lots of threads with the same issues.

Get a 12v and miminum 1.5amp unit with a 2.5mm female jack.

Plenty available on a well known auction site. They are sometimes described as being for cctv cameras or led strip lights.

I was very sceptical but honestly it worked.

Try it - ignore the vodafone "experts". They come out with the standard speed/ping test. Try a different router etc etc. you will get more help from other posters.

Try a new power unit - chances are it will work as the symptoms you described were the same as mine.

View solution in original position

24 REPLIES 24

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure what you mean about ensuring that Smart Setup is still disabled?

We tried to replace it a couple of nights ago, but during a Live Chat with one of Vodafone's sales advisers, we learnt that they're out of stock for the foreseeable future due to being upgraded to 4G.  She was not able to give me any idea whatsoever about when they would be available, all she would say was that they were being tested by Engineers.  Are you able to give us a better idea of their availability?   It's a nightmare without a mobile signal at home!

Many thanks.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MBB2011 

The Smart setup will be in your BT HomeHub settings where it'll need to be disabled. If you're unsure how to do this, please contact your ISP who can advise you of this.

We're unable to provide a timescale on the Sure Signal stock and we'll update our statement when we have further information.

DaveCD

barquerole
4: Newbie

I had the same problem with a version 1 Sure Signal. After a lot of messing around with resets and Vodafone suiggesting that my ISP was blocking ports, I found out that Sure Signals have a finite licence period and that mine had expired. From memory, i think the period is 3 years, so that would tie in with yours, too, MBB2011.

The only option is to buy a new one except that they are not available in the shops or online, unless you pay a extortionate price on EBay. I was told tonight that a v4 which supports 4G is under test and would be available "soon".

Good luck.

Try getting a new power supply unit. Mine had the same problem and after plugging my SS1 into the new power supply it was up and running within 5 minutes.

Lots of threads with the same issues.

Get a 12v and miminum 1.5amp unit with a 2.5mm female jack.

Plenty available on a well known auction site. They are sometimes described as being for cctv cameras or led strip lights.

I was very sceptical but honestly it worked.

Try it - ignore the vodafone "experts". They come out with the standard speed/ping test. Try a different router etc etc. you will get more help from other posters.

Try a new power unit - chances are it will work as the symptoms you described were the same as mine.

Thanks for the tip barquerole - that's interesting to hear.  Would be very disappointing to think that was the case, 3 years is nothing - we've only just replaced our old computer after 12 years of hard labour, I expect a lot longer life span from a gadget.

However, I could do with further advice from the tech experts too. 

A friend has lent us his Sure Signal 1 which he no longer requires.  As far as I am aware, this was working perfectly for him and he deregistered it before giving it to us to try.  I've logged in to my vodafone and registered it to our post code, added the relevant mobile numbers to it and connected it up.  This time I have a solid power light, but a flashing second light.  I have tried two resets, but end up with the same result. 

The new serial number is 21231320272

Ping is 30

Broadband speed is 7.10mbps today

Upload is 0.36

So either whatever BT did to our line back at Christmas has altered a setting somewhere which is preventing us from using a Suresignal box - if this is the case have you any idea what this could be? 

Or, as barquerole mentioned in his previous post, the Suresignal 1 boxes have a built in life expectancy which my friend's box has reached too - which if this is the case Vodafone should be extremely ashamed of.

Either way, this is becoming increasingly frustrating, incredibly slow to rectify and frankly makes me wish we were able to swap providers I'm afraid.  Why should we pay top wack for a service we can't use at home?  Sorry - this isn't personal, but as a family we have two lots of £36 per month going out on our contract and £10 per month on a PAYG, we run our own business from home and this is obviously having a severe knock on effect, with no resolution to the problem in sight.  We can't even buy a new booster so we're pretty much up the creak without a paddle. 😞

I await your reply with anticipation.  Thank you.

I should mention that the Suresignal lent to us came with it's own power lead and cable to connect to the router too....Thank you to the previous poster though for the suggestion.

@MBB2011

Although your friend's SS1 came with it's own power adapter chances are the adapter was the original and due to it's age is now "weakened" and unable to "push" through enough power for the SS1 to work properly.

It seems the SS1 is stopping functioning after 3 to 4 years due to the power adapter weakening and not enough power getting through to the SS1.

Honestly, try a new power unit - it will only cost you about £5 to £6.  

As I said, I too was very sceptical but it worked!!

Either try a £5 adapter or go without a signal or pay £100 for a SS3 if you can get one!

Only wish I knew this remedy in mid December when my SS1 stoped working!

Good luck with getting any help from the Vodafone techies!!  You may be waiting a long time!!

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

The V1 Sure Signal licence will only expire if the unit is unused for 6 to 12 months. This is covered in the Ts&Cs.

We don't expire licences if the units are being used, but over a number of years the hardware may need to be replaced.

As mentioned in this thread, customers who test another power cable or Ethernet have reported the service restoring. This could out cheaper for you than having to purchase another unit with the warranty expiring some years ago.

Feel free to post back with how you get on.

@MBB2011 - Your upload speeds are right on the minimum required, so I'd recommend speaking to your ISP about your options.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks for the advice.  Will try another power pack.

The upload speeds are the same, if not slightly better even, as they've always been and we had been sucessfully using our Suresignal 1 box for 3 years before this problem.  The only time we've encountered problems is when both children are streaming videos, which then rendered our connection unusable!

I'll post again once new power pack arrives....

Well......it worked!  What on earth would have happened to the power pack so suddenly to stop the Suresignal working?  Anyway, thank you very much @rajjyboy for your suggestion! 

(It didn't however work for the Suresignal we borrowed from someone else so maybe that is down to a licencing issue.)

Thanks goodness I don't have to carry on standing on a table in our living room with my arm stuck out the window to gain one bar of signal to send and receive a text!!!!!  Horray!

Thanks all......

I am sorry but due to  an error allegedly in your databases you have de registered many many units that hve been in daily use for 3 years .   If this is true its not very funny "I had the same problem with a version 1 Sure Signal. After a lot of messing around with resets and Vodafone suiggesting that my ISP was blocking ports, I found out that Sure Signals have a finite licence period and that mine had expired."