Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 2 does not work everywhere

davidtremlett
4: Newbie

I now have done every test possible, first checking with my ISP on port opening and 100% guarantee that all ports are left open, second bought brand new router incase of problems amking sure ports 50,500,4500,8,123,1723 TCP+UDP are open, finally talking endlessly with Vodafone who have done remote access to my computer, doing 'pings' and  'tracert', the net result was that I was told there were too many high digets 100-200 therefore to much traffic, was then told that my sure signal will never function because of this fact. What is so frustrating is that the earlier sure signal (1) worked, then packed up, so a new one sent out. Since then nothing, and with 4 people in the house on Vodafone contract we are now rarely able to use the phone and for sure no 3G. Now I know Sure Signal is never guaranteed to work!

59 REPLIES 59

Hi davidtremlett, 

We can't say what it is unfortunately, it could be as simple as your Internet connection dropping out or your ISP running updates (which you wouldn't normally notice). 

To make sure you can speak to your ISP, they should be able to advise if they've done any updates and run a trace on your line to see if it's dropped out at any point. 

If you can check this we'll then be able to help further. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Dear Kay,

I have done what you suggest and will paste all the replies from Demon (part of Vdafone) that came back. Currently having to talke to neighbours router to refresh every 7-10 days.

Dear David,

I am disappointed to hear the Sure Signal support desk are referring to us as "your ISP" rather than "our Demon Internet service" since we are all part of Vodafone.

The only other thing we can suggest regarding your Internet connection is that you enable ICMP/Ping from the Internet on your router.  This will allow us to perform some diagnostics to check for packet loss.

From the results we can see without this enabled, your connection seems stable and fast though.  This test will help us to verify this. 

Enabling ICMP/Ping on your router should be a simple process of selecting the relevent option on your router configuration screen.  Where this option is will depend on the made and model of router you are using though.

Please quote ref:_00D20MFOP._500w0YkfA6:ref when you email us about this query so that your mail is automatically linked to the case, helping us to respond quickly.

Kind regards, 

Robert (removed)

Demon Technical Support

Phone: 0845 272 2666

Dear David,

I have tested the connection with nearly 10,000 pings and only one packet was dropped.  The packet that did drop would not be enough to cause any disruption and I am not sure the dropped packet was on your broadband connection anyway but rather between the machine I was testing from.

If the Sure Signal support desk which to contact us about your broadband connetion, they are welcome to call us on the Business Broadband Support desk on 0845 27 22 666, fault ref 633657. 

Alternatively, if you know who is dealing with your fault on the Sure Signal side, and if you have a contact number for them, I would be happy to call them.

Please quote ref:_00D20MFOP._500w0YkfA6:ref when you email us about this query so that your mail is automatically linked to the case, helping us to respond quickly.

Kind regards,
Robert (removed)

Demon Technical Support

Phone: 0845 272 2666

I hope this problem will soon be resolved as now we are entering the 3rd month.

Hi davidtremlett,

The only reference to your ISP being Demon was buried in the traceroutes, so we wouldn't have known that they were your service provider. We also don't have any access to details or systems used by them.

I've given the Sure Signal a resync. As you say, this should flush the system for you. Can you give the box a fresh reset to pick this up?

If that doesn't help, try rebooting the box and the router together:

- Switch off the Sure Signal.

- Switch off the router.

- Wait 30 seconds

- Restart the router only. 

- Once it's fully rebooted, restart the Sure Signal.

Dave

Have done exatly what you said and I am now back to power light on (red) and next light (white) flashing to find a signal, now on for 2 hours, after 6 I will have to go to my neighbour and refresh as I know it will work temporarily. Why does it just not continue to work????

You must have the correct answer No??

After 6 hours of power on (Red light) and flashing white (next icon) I got nothing so went to by good neighbours and there it all got setup with 3G signal.Back home and now after 3 hours power on (Red light) and flashing white (next icon) and nothing, your refreshing has turned me back to no signal, I will wait till morning and see and then 'maybe' back to neighbour. REALLY HOW MUCH LONGER DOES THIS GO ON?? Somebody in Vodafone MUST have an answer!!!!

Hi davidtremlett,

The fact that the Sure Signal works when tried at your neighbours house and then works briefly at your address, does point to something in your set up that’s causing the issue.

Are you able to try a different router on your connection to see if that fixes things for you?

If not, check to make sure you have the following ports open on your router:-

Port Number

8          TCP      UDP    

50         TCP      UDP    

53         TCP      UDP      

67                     UDP    

68                     UDP                                        

123                   UDP    

500                   UDP    

1723     TCP      UDP    

4500                 UDP    

33434 - 33445    UDP    

The other thing to try would be a different Ethernet cable to see if this helps.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ports have all been forwarded, The ethernet cable test is done regularily, when going to neighbour plus with this same cable at home, no problems here. As for changing router (mine is a brand new 3 months old top of the Netgear range DGND3700-100UKS) it would mess up the configururation on my computer as routers all need setting up on a computer. I think maybe vodafone could look into, on my behalf and any others present and future, the settings problems that could occur, most of us are not tekkies so it's too much always to ask of us all this configuration questions, if the hardware (SS3) has problems and I can see there are MANY people who have them, it should be Vodafone as a rich company to look into ALL the problems that come up and therefore have simple solutions for all the common makes of routers, and even more helpful would be if you DO REALLY understand the problems, to call us or we call you, you then remotely come onto the computer and look at a router setup. I know you can look at the computer remotely as one of your technicians did just that to see if ports had been open (name and date can be supplied).

Come on 4 months of problems soon!!

Hi davidtremlett,

When you’ve tried your Sure Signal at your neighbour’s house, do they have the same router as you?

If not, and your device works there, this is why I suggested the change of router in your house.

It means then that we can rule it out as a potential cause.

When you connect a new router to your connection, it should automatically set up for you.

If it doesn’t, you can see how to do it manually here.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

I haven't been able to  aquire a new router as buying one is rediculous as th Netgear I have is only 3 months old and unless Vodafone would like to lend me one it's difficult to just get hold of a new router. As for the moment the SS3 is working and has been for 3 days, but I know it will go down sometime and therefore will need to refresh on my friend's router. But the fact that it is now working means it has been assigned an ISP address and all the necessary ports are open is this not the case??

Hi davidtremlett,

As it’s now working, it means the ports are open and the Sure Signal has been assigned an IP address.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to send you a router to test.

If it does go down again, please let us know.

Thanks,

Gemma