Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 Location

BKMD
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Have Sure signal registered, and correct postcode entered, however location on phone shows as being 324 miles away from my location.  Have had my account reset twice today via online chat to no avail.  I read earlier on this forum one suggestion is to turn off location via mobile network on my handset. Not an option for me.  HTC choice is (Mobile network, GPS and WiFi), (WiFi and Mobile network) or (GPS only)  When indoors I have no GPS Signal therfore location is unavailable as are apps that require a location.  In any case this is not acceptable to have to use a "workaround"  esp as part of the setup instructions states it is important to enter correct postcode into configuration in order for emergency services to pinpoint my location.  Is it not possible to manually enter a post code or GPS co ordinates into my sure signal?

14 REPLIES 14

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The location information isn't coming from the SureSignal itself, so there is little point in resetting it.  The information is coming from your Broadband provider and is based on the IP address provided to you by them.

If this is a relatively new connection with your ISP it should correct itself in a few weeks.  If not, call up your ISP and ask them to assign you a new IP address - this will in turn sort out your location issues. 

PWIAC

If the location information is coming from my broadband provider then surely the laptop I am using now would be in the same location as my phone.  asking google on both devices "Where am i now?" produces different results. ie. Laptop is at home as expected, however my phone is 324 miles away in "Yarm".  If  ISP is providing the information to my phone, why is it correct with the sure signal off but reverts to Yarm when sure signal is on and why did I need to input my postcode when registering the sure signal in the first place?  I should note that for this test I had disabled GPS on my phone.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BKMD Can you please let us know your Sure Signal serial number? 

I was pretty sure phones use either GPS or triangulation from the nearest transmitters - in this case I'm not sure how the SS3 fits into the equation.

I was not aware that the post code entered in to the SS3 set up had any role to play other than giving Vodafone an idea where it was, ditto the floor its on - perhaps to get an idea of network loading and where they are used. At one point I had two SS3 working in the same room (don't try it yourself its not recomended to have more than one on the same router/switch) and gave them different postcodes - it did not make any difference.

Need to hang slack for a bit.  Went back onto the website today, unregistered my sure signal, logged off then waited a few minutes before logging back on and registering it again. Logged off, waited a few minutes once more then logged back on to add the user numbers.  So far the location has stayed correct, thats 5 hours now. Fingers crossed it stays that way.  Will be back if anything changes. :Smiling:

I have found unregistering and reseting appears to solve most problems - I guess its a variation of switching it off and on again. Its all a bit flaky really. Good luck!

@Rahim Hello, find myself back in Yarm this morning, hopefully you can help. This is the serial number of the unit.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BKMD It appears that your Sure Signal hadn't initialised correctly, which may have been the reason for the location issue. 

I've resynced your Sure Signal to resolve the issue. Please allow up to 6 hours for the device to settle and to start working again. 

@Rahim thank you, appreciate your help. The location has changed to Richmond now. I'll leave it until the morning to see what happens. If no change, if I use the reset button will that in effect be a factory reset, and the device will re-initialise when connected to broadband again?