Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 and BT Home Hub 5

itech
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can someone please help me get my sure signal 3 working with my BT home hub 5?

Internet lights and signal lights are white and solid and power light is solid which indicates everything is fine. The problem is my regsitered devices will not get a signal. I'm wondering if this is something to do with the postcode registered on the device, I live in a newly built property and Vodafone didn't recognise my postcode so I had to use the nearest one that it recognised.

Please can someone assist? Vodafone have already made me reset the device but this has not helped. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This morning the sure signal is working. I have not changed anything so I'm not sure what has resolved the problem. As long as it counitues to work I'll be happy. 

Thanks Ben and Matt for your help.

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks very much for your reply. I've been on the phone to corporate support and they have asked me to do the following which I was planning on trying tonight when I get home:

Open up the following ports on your router:

Port Number

8              TCP        UDP       Unassigned 

50           TCP        UDP       Remote Mail Checking Protocol 

53           TCP        UDP       Domain Name System (DNS) 

67                           UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Server; also used by Dynamic Host                                                                 Configuration Protocol (DHCP RX) 

68                           UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Client; also used by Dynamic Host Configuration                                      Protocol ( DHCP TX ) 

123                         UDP       Network Time Protocol (NTP)—used for time synchronization 

500                         UDP       Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) 

1723       TCP        UDP       Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) 

4500                       UDP       IPSec NAT Traversal 

33434 - 33445     UDP       Traceroute for IP location check and bandwidth estimation 

Do you think this is the best way to go or should I provide you with the information you have asked for first?

Thanks, Lee.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Lee,

Thanks for getting back. Opening up those ports manually will help any connectivity issues your unit is having registering our end.

It's worth supplying the info Matt has asked for so we can rule out other causes if this doesn't help. :Smiling:

With regards to your address, we ask that it's kept as accurate as possible. It's one of the ways the emergency services locate you if you're using your phone to call them. Is your address registered with Royal Mail and are you now on the electoral register there? 

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

I'll try opening those ports up later today when I get home. If that solves the problem i'll let you know if not i'll provide the information that Matt asked for. Will the sure signal need restarted after the ports have been opened up?

Yes my address is registered with Royal Mail. Are you able to update the postcode on my device if I send you it as I get an error when trying to do it myself. I'm not yet on the electoral register at my new address. 

Thanks, Lee.

Hi Ben,

I tried to open up all of those ports on the firewall of my BT home hub 5 but the only way to do this looks to be by using port forwarding, the only protocols available in the drop down list that I was asked to open are shown in the port - forwarding attachment. If I try to create a custom port forward I get the following options, could you tell me how to configure this please? Shown in port forward custom. 

Therefore I supply the information that Matt requested:

Speed test attached.

Ping Test - 0% packet loss, ping 19ms, jitter 1ms

external IP - 81.132.14.90

Traceroute - fails at hop 12, last successful hop is 11 which is 85.205.116.14

Sure signal serial number - 40133490579

This morning the sure signal is working. I have not changed anything so I'm not sure what has resolved the problem. As long as it counitues to work I'll be happy. 

Thanks Ben and Matt for your help.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi itech,

That's great news! :Laughing_Face:

Keep an eye on it and if it crops up again, feel free to post back here now we have your details posted.

For port forwarding, we're not able to advise on third party devices ourselves. However, either your ISP or this site can help should you need to set it up in future. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Hi,

I am experiencing excatly the same issues with a BT HH5 and a Sure Signal 2 box!!!!

Sure Signal box serial number - 400112215633

Please Please Help!!!

Trace route results attached.

Speed tested @ 37meg download and 6meg upload

Help Please,

I am having issues with making calls from my Sure Signal box.

I have a good data connection through the Sure Signal box and can access the web fine, the issue only occurs when I try to make a call through the Sure Signal box where every call is dropped.

I am able to receive calls through the Sure Signal,  I can check this by ring my mobile from the landline and the connection light illuminates and stays on whilst I receive the call, whereas when I try to make a call the light flashes once and the phone displays call dropped.

I have tried to reset the SS box to no avail, also having tried the following:

• Reset Sure Signal Box – Version 2 for reference
  • Reset the router
  • Test the line speed – 37meg upload – 6meg download
  • Carried out a PingTest.net – Grade A connection with no packet loss
  • I have tried setting the SS box to a different Post Code and changing back, however i understand that i need to be connected to a different SAC as this has help others?!

Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.