cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 and Virgin Media Superhub 1, working but frequent poor call quality.

sejam2003
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Sure Signal 3 does work with the Virgin Media Superhub 1, but the call quality is mediocre to poor. I get frequent drop-outs in many calls, and on occasion the call drops out altogether.  Voices are often muffled, slightly or a lot. This is despite bars on the phone showing 4 or 5, whereas without the Sure Signal they would be zero to 1 or 2, (I live in a basement flat).  However, if I switched off SureSignal and made a call in the flat (from where it is possible), the call quality would probably be better. Sometimes it is so frustrating I think of just doing that and getting rid of Sure Signal . 

I only quite recently got Sure Signal 3 after the previous Sure Signal died after many years use. The previous Sure Signal (model 2) I think worked better, though I have not had chance to A-B. 

Is this a known problem? I am assuming it is more likely to be with the SuperHub 1 modem/router. I saw a post here on this forum by Vodafone support  about DHCP reservation and Port Forwarding in the  VirginMedia Super Hub, and wonder if this applies to me?  As said, the Sure Signal 3 is basically working, it's only the call quality that is in question. 

I do find that if I reboot the Superhub, the drop-outs seem to be less,  before things seem to revert after a while. I should also mention I have an Apple Airport Express in bridge mode (the Superhub is in Router mode) and the Sure Signal is connected by HomePlug, as wi-fi line-of-sight from Superhub is not great either, although when calling I am usually very close to the Sure Signal. I have excellent speeds from Virgin of up to 70/5mbps download/upload.

1 REPLY 1

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @sejam2003, we'd like to help. Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread, then post back your results if you’re not directed to an existing thread.