Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 problem

k4mster
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have had the sure signal for a couple of months and its all work great until recently.  The issue I have is intermittent but can be upto 3 times per day, which makes it unuseable.  The issues can be fixed everytime by a reboot of the sure unit, althogh the fix doesn't last long.

The fault is that I will be notified that people cant call me on my mobile as it goes through to VM.    Most times I can dial out at this stage, but there have been instances where when dialling out I just get silence.

If I look at my mobile it is getting a full signal from the sure box and the lights on the box are both white and the power LED is red as they should be.

Becuase the reception is always showing as good, I never know when the fault has happend until someone tells me or I have to keep testing my mobile number from a landline which is expensive and also inconvenient.

I dont see this as a router / port forwarding issue because a reboot of the sure signal fixes the fault temporariy.  Rebooting my mobile phone does not fix the fault.

Please help as its driving me mad!  Does it need a re-sync at your end and a factory reset this end etc?

My serial number is 42143133454

Thanks

Kam

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @k4mster 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura.

Thanks for the response – I have already been through all the troubleshooting tips and they have made no difference.

Here are the results as requested..........

Serial number - 42143133454

Speeds:
Down – 6.64Mbps
Up – 0.29Mbps

Ping 19ms

My IP - 86.142.199.42

Tracert results:

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     4 ms     2 ms     2 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.13.1]

2   11 ms   10 ms   13 ms esr5.sheffield3.broadband.bt.net [217.47.73.144]

3   11 ms   11 ms   12 ms 217.47.73.125

4   11 ms   10 ms   11 ms 213.1.69.34

5   11 ms   11 ms    11 ms 213.120.180.165

6   12 ms   12 ms   13 ms 217.41.169.107

7   11 ms   11 ms   10 ms acc1-xe-4-2-0.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.101]

8   20 ms   22 ms   24 ms core2-te0-2-4-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.251.15]

9   18 ms   18 ms   20 ms peer1-xe1-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.254.134]

10   49 ms   24 ms   31 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

11   23 ms   20 ms   20 ms 85.205.0.93

12     *       *       *     Request timed out.

13     *      *       *     Request timed out.

14     *       *       *     Request timed out.

Hi @k4mster

Your upload speed is very border line for the minimum requirement.

Do you notice that this happens at any particular time of day? During peak hours for example?

Is your Sure Signal situated close to your router? If so, try moving it as far away as possible to see if things improve.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi,

I have the same broadband as when the unit was working fine, which was the first couple of months I had it.

The fault happens at even 'quiet' periods.  I work from home so use my mobile during the daytime, when most of my neighbours are out.  The fault still happens. So I dont see it being a broadband contention issue.  It can happen at anytime of the day, not at the same time every day,

The SS is near the router yes, becuase of the ethernet connection and cable provided.  I have a cat 5 outlet across my living room which I can plug it into, but its still not that far away.  Please advise why moving the unit would make a difference as its only extending the ethernet....how would this have an effect on inbound calls hitting my voicemail.

Thanks,

Fault is still occurring.  I have noticed that when it does happen the "off-hook" / "busy" light is lit solid white on the SS 3 even though my mobile is not in use.  I have call waiting enabled on my phone but all calls route to my mobile voicemail.....also I cant dial out at that time either, I just get dead air and then disconnected.  Reboot the SS.  It'll work fine again for a short period.

Please advise.

Hi @k4mster,

Please ensure the VPN is ticked within your router settings, if you’re unsure how to do this your ISP will be able to help further.

I can see a last connection date on 16 December 2014 at 15:57, please can you perform the following steps:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Sarah

I have done that and the fault it still happening.  This is ridiculous!!!  It used to work when I first had it, and now it doesn't.

What do I do now??

Hi @k4mster,

So that we can check there is no fault with the Sure Signal, please try using it in an alternative address.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Thanks, 

Matt B

My Sure Signal has crashed again, all 3 lights are solid (power, internet & Signal) but not able to pick up a signal on any family members phones. Have tried rebooting, have tried unplugging and leaving it off for the night. It comes back on and reloads all 3 lights eventually but is still not working.