Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 stopped working on Virgin Media

Stephen_L
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Sure Signal 3 that has stopped working on Virgin Media a few days ago with Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange.  The Sure Signal was installed months ago and has worked seamlessly until a few days ago.

Anyone else having problems?

My Sure Signal 3 with Virgin Media Smart Hub 2 router previously working without changing any factory default setting i.e. port forwarding, reserved IP, IPSec Pass-Through, MUT

I have tried configuring my Virgin Media superhub with a reserved IP and the necessary port forwarding (as per this articles - Vodafone Sure Signal & Virgin Media Super Hub Step By Step and Version 3 (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange)), confirmed MUT = 1500 and IPSec Pass-Through is enabled, reset my Sure Signal but the same light combination still happens.

I have also tried My-sure-signal-has-stopped-working-what-should-I-do.

Light Combination:

Power: flashing red

Internet: solid orange

In Service: blank

In Use: solid orange 

Sure Signal 3 Serial Number:

My speed test results from speedtest.net are:

Ping = 28 ms 

Download = 40.92 Mbps

Upload =     3.01 mbps

My ping test results from pingtest.net are:

Packet Loss = unable to test

Ping = 25 ms

Jitter = 8 ms

Grade = B*

ISP = Virgin Media

My external IP address is:

Traceroute results are:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * 2 ms 4 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 32 ms 31 ms 30 ms 10.235.52.1
3 9 ms 10 ms 8 ms leed-core-2b-xe-030-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.232.117]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 11 ms 12 ms 21 ms nrth-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.222]
7 36 ms 28 ms 30 ms fran-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.178]
8 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms FFMGW3.arcor-ip.net [80.81.192.117]
9 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms 92.79.213.129
10 42 ms 34 ms 32 ms 92.79.213.154
11 31 ms 28 ms 30 ms 85.205.0.86
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

7 REPLIES 7

garethr
12: Established
12: Established

There are a few of us with this issue. It is an infrastructure level routing issue between Vodafone and Virgin and something which at this point Vodafone seem either totally unable or unwilling to resolve - even if it is a Virgin issue it should be Vodafone working directly with Virgin to fix the issues for their customers and not expecting end users to. 

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Stephen_L - The light sequence does show an issue with your ISP, I'd recommend speaking to them. As you've already gone through the configuration information we give, that's the only option as everything else from your traceroute looks fine.

Let us know how you get on.

@Charles wrote:

@Stephen_L - The light sequence does show an issue with your ISP, I'd recommend speaking to them. As you've already gone through the configuration information we give, that's the only option as everything else from your traceroute looks fine.

Let us know how you get on.

@Charles - Exactly at what point are you going to accept there is a routing issue with the SS VPN connection and Virgin Media? The SS is your product not Virgin's and regardless of who's fault the routing issue is it needs to be being dealt with at a senior network infrastructure level and not by end users. What exactly are you wanting people to tell Virgin, because they will simply pass the buck back to Vodafone. 

@Charles - Can you confirm what information I need to provide to Virgin Media to support resolution of the the issue.

@Stephen_L - Just let them know you're having issues with your Vodafone Sure Signal and we've recommended that you contact them.

Im having the same problem. I spoke to virgin and they said that as sure sginal is not their product they couldnt help and that i should contact vodophone.

This happed a few months ago and i could'nt make calls for weeks. Who do i contact at vodophone to get this resolved.

Regards

Finn 

@finnbarr - Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

• Your speed test results from here.

• Your ping test results from here.

• Your external IP address from here.

• The results of a traceroute.

• Your Sure Signal serial number: 

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run

2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

3. A black box will appear.

4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

5. Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.