cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal / BT Home Hub 5, still not working.

debbieh
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've registered (again) the Sure Signal, serial number 40131145936 and after a device reset, still have Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange.

Followed troubleshooting and have the following results:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3217068215
http://www.pingtest.net/result/91543540.png

IP - 31.53.179.190
IPv6 - ::ffff:1f35:b3be

Tracert results as follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    16 ms    17 ms    21 ms  172.16.14.19
  3     *       21 ms    19 ms  213.120.158.174
  4    16 ms    53 ms    40 ms  213.120.158.173
  5    19 ms    20 ms    19 ms  212.140.206.98
  6    19 ms    21 ms    19 ms  217.41.169.91
  7    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  217.41.169.109
  8    19 ms    20 ms    19 ms  acc2-xe-0-2-0.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.19
3]
  9    24 ms    27 ms    28 ms  core1-te-0-0-0-14.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
251.161]
 10    26 ms    32 ms    27 ms  host213-121-193-152.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.193.1
52]
 11    25 ms    28 ms    25 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 12    25 ms    27 ms    25 ms  85.205.116.2
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Please help, it's driving me nuts that I have no signal / can't get it working!

Thanks, Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all

The new device is working, and straight out the box although takes a little while to register and settle.  Looks like the original was faulty on manufacture/supply.

I'm relieved as I this was the only option to having a decent signal other than moving home!

Thanks for your help, and input - good luck with yours.

Debbie

View solution in original position

34 REPLIES 34

Hi All

Thanks for the posts, I hadn't replied as it takes time to keep coming back and attempting to resolve this problem.  I'm still in the same situation (no signal) and have followed all the advice above.

I've opened all the ports as requested, and spoken to BT who passed me onto their third party team.  They have suggested there's nothing more that can be done on their side as all the ports are open and it's still not working, it must be a Vodafone issue. 

They gave me that as (secret) free advice...., as their 3rd party device support is by subscription only at £10 per month, and three months minimum which I am not willing to pay for them to just check my settings are correct, etc.

I've opened all the ports and reset as above last Tech post by Andy, and I'm going out for at least an hour to find a large deep lake (not difficult here now) to put the SureSignal in (and my mobile) as I'm getting incredibly frustrated with this device.

Please Andy, Vodafone help us all!

Debbie

Hi Debbie

I am with you - can you let me know which lake you intend to visit as I have a VSS1 that needs the same treatment.

See my POSTS

George

+1 on the above I have same issue as DebbieH, Caedels, lexham, BCP. There are others in other threads.

I think sadly I have reached the end of the line as I can't see BT moving and although the Vodafone people on this have tried to help it doesn't work. I can't change my mobile provider as it's a business account and so I will have to continue to use the "gotspots" at home where I can get signal. And continue to console my wife as she is not a fan of her calls being dropped all the time :catmad:

My old thread FYI is here..

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Home-hub-5/m-p/1827148#M49838

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

Debbie - Are BT confirming that the ports are open their end or are they saying you need to pay the subscription for them to do it? If the ports are open and the IP's allowed, everything would point to a fault with your unit.

You can double check this before sending it for repair by testing it on another internet connection for an hour or two. 

Caedels and gcwj - We'll respond to your posts as soon as we reach them in the queue. 

Many thanks, Ben

lexham
4: Newbie
@Jenny, I've not seen that option anywhere in the Homehub5 admin interface.
All the connection settings seem to be set and not user adjustable.
My connection is FTTC and can't be changed.
The working setup is using PPPoE and an MTU size of 1492, neither of which I can view or edit on HH5.

Despite what your colleagues have said, it's not looking like the HH5 is pure plug and play, as evidenced by the other (frustrated) posters here.

Maybe you can get hold of some peers at BT and see if they can help. I'd be pleased to provide logs or supporting data if that helps.

lexham
4: Newbie
@Ben, the thing is that my sure signal works perfectly with Plusnet as my ISP, the open reach modem and Asus router. No tweaking needed at all (which was great).

I've reverted back to that combination as the only reason for using a homehub was because it had a Vdsl modem built in and saved me a socket.

I think I'll park this for a while and see how it shakes out. If others get their HH / FTTC combination working I'll give mine another try.

debbieh
Hi Ben, sorry for the late reply!

BT will only confirm the ports are open if I take out the subscription.

I have checked the device on another connection, with a BT hub 3 and still not working.

Would you advise on the return / repair process please, bearing in mind this device has never worked.

Thanks, Debbie

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting back. It's unfortunate BT won't do this without a fee as chances are this is what's stopping the required files from being downloaded. 

If you send the unit for repair, we'll put the latest software on automatically so it could help. The only thing is that any future updates could mean similar happens in future. 

Cheers, Ben

debbieh
Thanks Ben, where / how do I send for repair?

Is it, and just my name/address needed, or drop into a store?

Vodafone Customer Services
Vodafone House, The Connection
Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN

Thanks, Debbie

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Debbie,

You could either take it to store or please see here.

Thanks,

Gemma