Solution

Sure Signal - Call Audio Quality Issues

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

• Poor audio quality on both outbound and inbound calls
  • Particularly affects customers using a Virgin Media cable connection

If you’re only experiencing poor audio quality one-way (for example, the call sounds fine to you, but the person you are calling reports poor quality), then this is most likely due to insufficient bandwidth on your broadband connection and is not an issue with your Sure Signal.

Troubleshooting:

If the person you are calling can’t hear you, this is usually caused by low upload speeds.

If you can't hear the person you've called, this is due to low download speeds.

Check if your broadband connection meets the minimum requirements.

Please run the broadband speed checker.

If your connection fails any part of the test, this indicates an issue with your Internet Service Provider and you’ll need to contact them to discuss this further.

Your connection speed will vary throughout the day, so we recommend running it at various times to get an accurate reading.

Check for planned maintenance.
Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

Sure Signal version 1

• Connect device to internet and power supply

• Press and hold down the reset button (located near the internet port) until end of the process which will be indicated

• Remove the power cable at back of the unit and wait for five seconds

• Reconnect the power cable back to device

• Wait for the LED sequence to flash from top to bottom and back to top

• Wait for five seconds

• Release the reset button

• Within 10 minutes, all the 4 LEDs will start to flash in sequence – 1st & 3rd then 2nd & 4th then 1st & 3rd – with the sequence repeated. This sequence indicates the start of the factory reset procedure.

Sure Signal version 2

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for all the LED (power + 2 white LED) to light up for few seconds (power LED will always remain lit)

• Wait for five seconds

• Within 10 minutes, 2 white LEDs will start flashing continuously – power LED will always remain constant in addition (unless there is an issue with local connectivity)

Sure Signal version 3

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for 20 seconds

• All the LEDs will temporarily switch off for about 10 seconds. The power LED will then light up and remain constant whilst white internet LED flashes continuously.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Move Your Sure Signal Away from the Router
Sometimes the Wi-Fi signal from the router can interfere with the 3G signal from the Sure Signal and this could result in poor audio quality.

In order to prevent this from happening, please ensure that your Sure Signal is moved away from the router as far as the cable will allow.

If you’re still experiencing poor audio quality, post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Think I may have solved the issue.

I changed my superhub Wireless to Channel 1 and suddenly I am downloading over the suresignal at 7.2Mbps rather than 300k.

I will update in the next 24/48 hours if this has really solved the problem or it is just a fluke.

View solution in original position

291 REPLIES 291

Thanks Jenny. I've reset the Sure Signal and will see if that makes any difference. 

The router firmware is V2.37.01

14 calls today - all excellent quality.

I'm almost convinced that the problem lies with the Virgin Super Hub acting as router.

When you switch it to modem only and have something else do the routing, all is peachy.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

Do any boffins have any idea what's up with the Super Hub when it's in router mode?

Hi Jenny

Today I'm still experiencing issues with the Sure Signal. A call I picked up sounded like an FM radio not tuned to any station - just static. All was well after turning 3G off on the phone.

Any ideas?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi MarcF-VM

Thanks for coming back to us. Would you be able to test the VSS with a different internet connection? maybe at a friends house?

Sukhi

bilgeon
4: Newbie

I too have similar issues with voice quality, both ways. I have a VirginMedia hub which gives me plenty of bandwidth - 50Mb down and 5Mb up. Driving me nuts with calls to home.

I have followed all the tips in your attachment finally with a reset of the SureSignal box this morning and to no avail. Even calling voicemail (121) I can't hear the messages properly.

I have an iphone 3GS which works fine everywhere else except at home.

The whole point of the Suresignal is because Vodafone signal strength is weak and patchy in the area.

What are my next steps please?

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi bigleon,

To help us diagnose the cause of the issue could you please reply back with:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil, here are the details:

Speed test:

Down 8.41MB/s, Up 4.47MB/s, Ping 25Ms

Ping Test:

Ping 18Ms, Jitter 3Ms, Packet loss could not be read due to firewall issue

External IP address:

Sure Signal Serial No:

Traceroute:

Snapshot_2.png

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill, 

Everything looks ok, you've got plenty of bandwidth there and your ping is fine.

Your Sure Signal hasn't updated for a couple of days so I've forced a resynch for you now - reset your unit and let me know if this helps.

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Paul 

Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt update.

I have done the reset but only one point of clarification:

When you say 'all the lights show' does that mean they come on all together? For me the lights change after 20 seconds by turning on in sequence (and with continued holding repeat the same at least 3 times).

If this is what you expect then I will update with service performance after it has come back online

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

The reset procedure does differ on the more recent Sure Signal and what you have posted is correct.

If you hold the reset button for around 30 seconds it should light up each light and then all of them together.

However, if you can let us know how you got on we can advise you further.

James