Solution

Sure Signal - Call Audio Quality Issues

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

• Poor audio quality on both outbound and inbound calls
  • Particularly affects customers using a Virgin Media cable connection

If you’re only experiencing poor audio quality one-way (for example, the call sounds fine to you, but the person you are calling reports poor quality), then this is most likely due to insufficient bandwidth on your broadband connection and is not an issue with your Sure Signal.

Troubleshooting:

If the person you are calling can’t hear you, this is usually caused by low upload speeds.

If you can't hear the person you've called, this is due to low download speeds.

Check if your broadband connection meets the minimum requirements.

Please run the broadband speed checker.

If your connection fails any part of the test, this indicates an issue with your Internet Service Provider and you’ll need to contact them to discuss this further.

Your connection speed will vary throughout the day, so we recommend running it at various times to get an accurate reading.

Check for planned maintenance.
Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

Sure Signal version 1

• Connect device to internet and power supply

• Press and hold down the reset button (located near the internet port) until end of the process which will be indicated

• Remove the power cable at back of the unit and wait for five seconds

• Reconnect the power cable back to device

• Wait for the LED sequence to flash from top to bottom and back to top

• Wait for five seconds

• Release the reset button

• Within 10 minutes, all the 4 LEDs will start to flash in sequence – 1st & 3rd then 2nd & 4th then 1st & 3rd – with the sequence repeated. This sequence indicates the start of the factory reset procedure.

Sure Signal version 2

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for all the LED (power + 2 white LED) to light up for few seconds (power LED will always remain lit)

• Wait for five seconds

• Within 10 minutes, 2 white LEDs will start flashing continuously – power LED will always remain constant in addition (unless there is an issue with local connectivity)

Sure Signal version 3

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for 20 seconds

• All the LEDs will temporarily switch off for about 10 seconds. The power LED will then light up and remain constant whilst white internet LED flashes continuously.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Move Your Sure Signal Away from the Router
Sometimes the Wi-Fi signal from the router can interfere with the 3G signal from the Sure Signal and this could result in poor audio quality.

In order to prevent this from happening, please ensure that your Sure Signal is moved away from the router as far as the cable will allow.

If you’re still experiencing poor audio quality, post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Think I may have solved the issue.

I changed my superhub Wireless to Channel 1 and suddenly I am downloading over the suresignal at 7.2Mbps rather than 300k.

I will update in the next 24/48 hours if this has really solved the problem or it is just a fluke.

View solution in original position

291 REPLIES 291

Same. Looks like Virgin have fixed it.

leetay2
2: Seeker

Hi Support

I am having the same problems.

Have tried hard re-setting SS and VM Super Hub

DL speed is 38meg, Uppload 3.8meg Ping 17

This is a big issue for me!! Could you shed some light on this and what can be done about it??

Thanks

sparx_300

Hi guys.  Had this problem for over a year now (of which the sure signal box has only been plugged in for 2 months tops).

I can hear the caller perfectly but they cannot hear me (breaking up and such).

I'm showing full signal on my phone, in every room. 

The S.signal box is away from my WIFI router.

WIFI works perfectly in the flat.

Tried resetting 4 times, to no avail.

Download speed on Speedtest.net is from 24mbps - 87mbps.

Ping is between 15 & 30.

Upload speed is averaging 4.72mbps.

I'm out of ideas and am going to return device to vodafone unless we can sort a solution to this problem of mine.

Look forward to hearing from yourselves for more ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2338094251.png

Hi sparx_300

Please could you confirm who your ISP is?

Simon

Virgin media of course.

Hi there sparx_300,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry it seems to have been missed.

Can you confirm if your router/hub is on the R36 firmware or not?

Hi there Alib,

Could you please provide me with some speedtest results during various times of the day?

Thanks,

LeeH

R36 firmware? How do I know? Sorry Lee, over my head.

Hi LeeH, 

I've done some speed tests when I've been around.

Sunday 12 noon to 2pm ran 20 speed tests. Download speed varied between 2.49 & 6.70  (mostly near the 6 mark)

Upload speed between .119 & 3.43 (mostly near the 3 mark).

That evening at 9pm I ran another few speed tests over a 15 min period. The download speeds between 4.1 & 6.98, uploads.292- .350

This morning 8am    6.8 & .350

similar at 9am.

5.25 pm   5.72 & .250

615pm     6.55 & .34.

Ping varies between 41.25 & 122 but mostly around the 50 mark

Hope that's what you asked for.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Alib,

For your Sure Signal to work, the minimum upload speed needed is 300kbps. From the information you’ve given, it would appear that you’re getting upload speeds between 250kbps and 350 kbps. Once it drops below 300kbps then the connection would drop and your Sure Signal would show the solid power light only.

I’d recommend you contact your ISP to see if there’s anyway in which they can assist you.

Thanks

Andrew

I'm afraid that for the village I live in, that is the fastest upload speed I can get. There are no plans for BT to upgrade the exchange in the near future. It would have been useful to know that there was a minimum upload speed before i bought the box. The annoying thing is that sometimes the sure signal works fine but once the connection from the phone to the box is lost it doesn't ever reconnect. I guess I need to find an alternative booster or a mobile network that works in our village.