Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal EXPLODED

Perro
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

My Sure Signal failed I was on holiday last week, tripping out the entire mains fuseboard (thus disconnecting our fridge and freezer !!).

It's out of warranty, so I looked inside and it's heavily charred/blackened inside, with broken fragments of component casing(s) which clearly exploded.  I feel lucky it didn't cause a fire.

Other than the CAT5 cable, nothing was plugged into it.

It seems this is not an uncommon issue.  Can anyone tell me:

1. If there is a known cause?

2. Has Vodafone made any official statement (they should - it seems a regular problem)?

3. I already object to paying for the privilege of patching the holes in their network, os what are the chances Vodafone will provide a (safe!) replacment FOC?

Many thanks

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

There has been some discussion in failed Sure Signal Devices which a forum search will highlight. 

I would say it would have been better if you hadn't broken the seals on opening it up. 

I would suggest contacting Customer service on 191 or live chat to put across what's happened and or write to the correspondence address at the foot of the forum page sending as recorded delivery. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Perro As there have been a number of complaints about this same issue it is hoped that vodafone will take some steps to look into the problem and make some sort of response before someone's house is burned down.

Personally I think that as the Sure Signal was out of warranty and as you had nothing to lose it was a good move to take it aprt to see what had happened.

Call me a cynic but had you taken it into a store or returned it to Vodafone they may have "forgotten" to inform  you of the extent of the internal damage.

gsmsecure
12: Established

Hi Perro

Please see my posing here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Hot-Burnt-out-amp-Dead-...

Vodafone will tell you out is out of warranty and to buy a new one, this is not strictly true as you should have reasonably expected it to have lasted longer and failed in such a way that it would not cause issue to your mains supply and a potential fire risk.

The contents of the fridge, etc fall under "consequential damage" and what you need to do now is collect evidence and keep proof of costs in order to make a claim for a device that failed which should have lasted a lot longer and not failed in such a catastrpohic way.

Please report this to Consumer Direct (Citizens Advice) on 0345 4040506, reporting the failure, the damage it has caused along with any responses from Vodafone. They will pass details to West Berkshire Trading Standards who are currently invstigating this device and its failures. They need to build up a case in order to fully investigate the product and your call is crucial to your claim and to help others in the future who will suffer the same fate.

Contact me directly is you need any assistance in this.

I would like also the opportunity to inspect your device and have a report made as to why it has failed in order that I can also pass this back to Trading Standards as it was myself who involved them.

Kind Regards..

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Perro I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Perro I've sent a new private message with details on how to get in touch.

Once you've got in touch, we'll investigate into this from our end. 

gsmsecure
Hi Perro

If they ask you to purchase your replacement up front. Call Trading Standards and advise that Vodafone are not freely exchanging your unit and they expect you to lay down money to claim a refund later..

This is a joke! !

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Chazzer11
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Sure Signal has just frazzled too! I'm thanking my lucky stars that nothing else caught fire, as it happened in the middle of the night, when we were asleep - the consequences don't bear thinking about! At least they won't have to pay compensation for a house that's burnt to the ground!  I've opened it up and a lot of it is blackened. Vodafone are sending me a new one (FOC!). Apparently this one will have a sensor that trips, so the same thing doesn't happen again! Better late than never!  I wonder whether I ought to let Vodafone examine it? 

@chazzer11

I'm glad to hear nothing more serious happended and that Vodafone replaced it FOC.

HOWEVER, I believe they need to be proactive about this, rather than waiting for individuals to report/complain about the issue.  Someone could be hurt (or worse) as a result of this!

I would strongly urge Vodafone to "come clean" about this and do a FULL recall of any and all units which have not been "proofed" against this kind of catastrophic failure.

It's very bad that customers have to PAY to fill the holes in Vodafone's network - it is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE that those customers homes and families should be put at risk!!

100% agree. I'm now half way through the trading standards process and making the point that someone needs to warn people...!