Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Extender

spock_gb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Sure Signal connected to my Modem ( Hard Wire ) and a WiFi extender 15 meters away. However, I cannot get a phone signal in my shed, 5 meters further on.

I do have an unused ethernet cable that can be plugged into the Sure Signal, and finishes in the shed.

The question is.... What can I add to the end of the ethernet cable to enable me to make phone calls in the shed ?

11 REPLIES 11

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @spock_gb ,

I'm afraid we don't sell any official accessories to boost the existing Sure Signal coverage.

You could try positioning the Sure Signal in a different part of the house to experiment where it will provide the best range.

Failing that, I'm confident other members of the community who have a similar set up to you can recommend third party equipment that we don't support directly. :Smiling:

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the reply Ben.

OK... Try this. If I were to buy another Sure Signal, could I piggy back it to the original one via the ethernet cable ?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @spock_gb ,

My pleasure. :Smiling:

With the right broadband speeds, you can have more than one Sure Signal on your broadband connection. However they'd each need to be on seperate IP addresses to work. This could also mean getting two routers (depending on your ISP capabilities).

One issue to point out would be a lack of 'handover' between the two Sure Signal units. That being the case, if you were chatting on the phone in the house and then walking down to the shed, you'd lose the call. 

I'm afraid there's no way to create an ad-hoc network or stacking the range on both Sure Signal devices. 

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting, but let me know if there are any other questions I can answer to help you solve this. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks again Ben.

Just paced it out..... 8 yards from the Sure Signal to the back door. ( Wall between SS and back door).

20 paces between back door and shed door. Signal lost around 15 paces. ( 6 feet away from WiFi extender )

I`m going to try moving the SS to the back door. However, I live in a bungalow..... How do people in Stately homes get on with it ???????

Note :- BT Infinity Modem arriving today. Online from Monday 10th. I hope the Sure Signal works with that OK.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@spock_gb 

Please let us know how you get on once it's been moved.

With the new router, please ensure the following ports are open:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

DaveCD

Cheers Dave. Yes I`ll be back with results.

Thanks for the other info... but you might as well have been speaking Russian :smileyhappy: I don`t have a clue what any of that means, or how I need to do it.

I think I`ll put this in my signature.............

MODERN TECHNOLOGY... I don`t need to know how it works... Just that it works.

As promised... Update to previous threads.

Having now upgraded to BT Infinity, I had a problem connecting the SS, but that was easily sorted by the 191 Helpline people.

I have now moved the SS by buying a 5m length of Ethernet cable and siting an extension socket next to the back door...... and it hasn`t made the slightest bit of difference to the signal in the shed ( approx 20 feet away ).

Short of building a waterproof box in the garden, and running an electric cable through the wall... I`m stumped.

If anybody has found a way of extending the SS signal... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me into the secret.

The shed is a "Man Cave" with Bar. Obviously I`ll be spending a lot of time there.

what would be even better if vodafone did away with the sure signal and just had an app thats uses wifi to get signal, O2 have just done this so hopefully vodafone will do the same too 

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@spock_gb 

I believe it may be to do with the walls as the signal may be struggling to penetrate them.

It sounds like an awesome man cave, but I'm unsure how else we can get signal there without placing the Sure Signal on the outside wall, although a waterproof enclosure may also have the same affect.

DaveCD