cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal - No power light (No lights at all)

NicHeath
4: Newbie

HI

My sure signal 2 has suddenly turned off and I have no lights at all.

Before that everything was working fine.

I have tried another power supply and i get the same result, apart from a very quick flash of lights of the ethernet ports, but then nothing else.

I have left it plugged in for hours, I have pressed the reset for over 30 secs, but no result.

Is this a dead unit? Or is there something I am missing I can try

serial no.  40120930157

Thanks

55 REPLIES 55

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

TedWalker - If you've still got the receipt for the Sure Signal, you can take it to store for a repair to be arranged.  

nickyandrob - If all cables are plugged in correctly and there are no lights on, we'll need to send it away for repair.  

Many thanks, 

Phil

I've read everything I can find on version 2, no lights. It's out of warranty as it's over 2 years old. It stopped working 4 weeks ago. We've carried out the 20 second reboot and the 45 second reboot. We've deregistered and reregistered the unit and have chnaged the power supply.

I tried to buy a replacement version 3 only to find that after 10 days of updates from Vodafone that they decided to cancel my order. I've reordered and pleaded that they don't cancel the order a second time.

This is very frustrating. We have no signal in our office without Sure Signal. The Vodafone signal in Wellington is not very good and it's essential to have Sure Signal to ensure quality of service.

At what point do you say that you've had enough and then hand all of the phones back to Vodafone?

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi andwye,

If you'd like us to check on the order, you can find out how to get in touch here.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Hi TedWalker,

The store can send the Sure Signal away for repair.

If it's over two years old, it would be more cost effective to buy another one.

This can be done online.

Thanks,

Ian

This is the order placed on Tuesday 2nd Sept. WEB-0000001472377883

Thanks. However, this now driving me to absolute distraction. The unit has been diagnosed as faulty and can apparently be exchanged at a shop (but not by post). That would give a chance of getting things working quickly. I have some time available on Monday to find a shop with one in stock. However, I can't get a proper phone number to speak to anybody at any of these shops to be sure they have one before I waste time travelling again. I can't get through to anybody online or by phone who is prepared to help me locate one. I need to know where locally I can drive to get a replacement unit. Coventry, Nuneaton, Fort Dunlop, Hinckley, Kettering etc would all be acceptable, but I need to know before I travel. Please give me numbers for these shops (not the centralised numbers that sends you round in circles), tell me where there is one stock within reasonable travelling distance, or post a replacement. Please be a reasonable individual who takes the time to help individually. PLEASE CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi TedWalker,

We're unable to provide store phone numbers. 

If however you pop into either one of those store, they'll be able to arrange the exchange.

andwye - Please get in touch via the link Ian provided. 

Thanks,

Sukhi

In case this is useful for anyone else, my SS v2 is working fine again now with just a new power supply, bought from CPC (cpc.farnell.com). Initial symptoms were an intermittant connection with just the red power light on, which could NOT be fixed by following the full reset procedure (hold reset for 30 secs, then remove & replace power plug). Eventually this changed to no lights at all (not even the power light) - I measured the output of the power supply and it was completely dead. Be wary of the power supplies for sale on eBay, as most (all?) of these have the 2.5mm connector for the SS v1, whereas the SS v2 needs the smaller 2.1mm connector (2.5mm will fit the SS v2, but it isn't really right and might give an intermitant connection)

I sourced a power supply which has 12 volt 2 amp output, so higher power capacity than the original, which might be more reliable; if you are looking for one, make sure that the centre pin of the output connector is positive (with outer ring negative) - this should be shown by a small diagram on the power supply

CPC part number which I bought (to suit the SS v2) is PW03079 (or Powerpax part number STD-1202B21):

http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/std-1202b21/ac-dc-power-supply-12v-2a-uk-2/dp/PW03079?Ntt=PW03079

For the SS v1 you would need CPC part number PW03080 (or Powerpax part number STD-1202B25):

http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/std-1202b25/ac-dc-power-supply-12v-2a-uk-2/dp/PW03080?Ntt=PW03080

I have NOT tried this part (for SS v1), but it is exactly the same power supply (12V 2A), just with a slightly larger connector; obviously this is no help to anyone with SS v3 (where the power supply is part of the unit). Both of these have a straight output connector, rather than the right angled connector of the original unit, but this does not cause a problem; otherwise they are equivalent power supplies (but with higher power capacity)

This might not fix your problem, but at £8.54 (with free delivery) it might be worth a go before shelling out £100 to replace your SS if it is out of warranty!

By the way, I had three replies from tech support about my problem and got three different answers about the warranty period: first reply said my unit was STILL in warranty (even though it was over 2 years old), second reply said it was out of warranty at two years, third reply said it was out of warranty at one year!!

Hope this helps someone else!

Peter

PS Post a reply to let others know if this fixes your problem (or not)

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi nathusius,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you, as it may help others too :).

Sukhi

Thanks to Nathusius - for just £7.50, I fixed my Sure Signal (version 2) box when it packed up the other day. It was the mains adapter, and following his advice I ordered one from the supplier he suggested. It works just fine again.

Thank you!

That's great, I'm glad you found it useful!