Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Phone light not coming on

clivos79
4: Newbie

Hi. Our SKY router managed to reset itself a few days ago and ever since then the Sure Signal won't pick up any phones. I've hard reset it, left it for 24 hours, hard reset again and still nothing. In fact all the lights are on (its an original VSS) apart from the third one down. I have also tried deregistering the device and registering as well as de and reregistering all the devices linked to it.

Please can someone advise - this is the trace I pulled off it this evening

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\clive>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
2 25 ms 23 ms 23 ms 02deee3e.bb.sky.com [2.222.238.62]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 37 ms 38 ms 31 ms 0278093c.bb.sky.com [2.120.9.60]
5 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms 89.200.131.177
6 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms bu4.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.135.145]
7 40 ms 46 ms 47 ms AMDGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.69.145.123]
8 49 ms 46 ms 47 ms 92.79.213.137
9 80 ms 62 ms 124 ms 85.205.116.2
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\clive>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi clivos79,

I’ve just resynced it for you. To make sure the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

View solution in original position

80 REPLIES 80

Mine is working now woohooo !!!

Thankyou.

I am going to need to set this up at a different location so will re-register. Will I need to re-sync again ?

Have reset the VSS after you sent a re-sync....and 24 hours later, still a blinking power light (only) :catsad:

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi shudman,

Strange! It looks fine at this end.

Can you try the VSS at another address such as at a friend or relative's house?

Cheers,

LeeH

Is this a BT Infinity "thing" that I have been reading about ?  Even though port clamping is enabled, does port forwarding need to be set up inbound to the SS ?  Never has done before, but plucking at straws.

Hi shudman,

Yes, it’s always worth setting up the port forwarding because if we do need to raise a case for a customer it will be rejected if this has not been tried.

James

Have done that now, and reset again, waited 2 hours...still a single flashing power light (it was steady for 2-3 mins after reset).

James - are you sure that the BT Hub 3 router works with Sure Signal ?  I have seen some people have theirs working and had no issues, but in 90% of all threads I have seen across the Internet now (spent many hours reading)...the Suresignal will not work with the BT Hub 3's.  However postings on this forum by your colleagues have said they have sent a SS to BT and they have confirmed there are no issues.  Can confirm whether the SS *needs* an MTU of 1500 to work ?  BT's home hub 3's are set to 1492 and if you can change it (some seemingly can't, firmware depending), it makes the line unstable...even so, I still don't think the SS connects.

bump....2 weeks later...still have a flashing light, despite changing VSS locations (and back again).  why is it some people have problems and some don't ?

I have changed VSS locations also, with no lights on apart from the power light.

Numerous re-syncs and resets and still nothing.

I have had this working, but now getting this working at a diff location is looking unlikely.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi shudman,

Thanks for posting. I know there's been some chatter among the team over the bridging that the Home Hub 3 performs and the PPPOE/PPPOA aspects for support.

Officially, BT are saying that the two units are compatible but there's clearly still an issue for a small amount of customers being unable to get access. You've certainly exhausted all of the support and troubleshooting we can suggest looking back on your posts.

I'll push for an update on this again for you. My apologies for the time this is taking but we need to first get BT to replicate the issue before we can work on getting a work around or solution in place. We'll update this thread as soon as we hear anything back. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Thanks Ben,

If there is anything I can assist with, pleae let me know....as it would be good to put an end to this.  My SS is now a dead dodo :smileysad:    Have you actually an inroad directly into BT to raise this ?