Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Paul-42

Sure Signal Post Code

Must have been an update at Voda Control as the system noticed my registered postcode is different from the account post code. It's never been noticed before. Got email & sms about this overnight.

It's like this because two years ago when I bought the Sure Signal it was impossible to get it working when registered to the account post code. After much time with support & escalation etc I was told to use a "nearby" code (about a mile away in town where there was a Voda signal) whereupon it sprang into life straight away. It seemed it didn't like not being able to see a cell.

A question for the Mods, if I change it back now will it stop working? I am loath to change a working system, especially after 2 years!

I really am tempted to leave it as it is as we are unlikely to call 999 from our mobiles at home.

Thanks, Paul

Message 1 of 10 (4,463 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Re: Sure Signal Post Code

Hi Paul,

If your happy with it the way it is i'd just leave it.

In terms of making emergency calls (999 or 112) your handset will connect to another network to place the if Vodafone is not available. You will only have issues if no networks have any coverage atall. 

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 10 (4,452 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
chrise

[ Edited ]

Nabs wrote:

In terms of making emergency calls (999 or 112) your handset will connect to another network to place the if Vodafone is not available. 

Not necessarily - the phone may think it can connect to another network, but whether those other networks actually accept and route the call is a different question (I suspect they may not).  And you can't test this, without actually making an emergency call.

But if making an emergency call from a mobile, this may be a red-herring.  Assuming the SS is live, then that's what'll be used.  At which point, the wrong postcode may or may not be an issue...

Message 3 of 10 (4,442 Views)
Paul-42

Yes I think leave it alone whilst it works, apart from the weekend outages!

Message 4 of 10 (4,439 Views)
Nabs

chrise wrote: 

Not necessarily - the phone may think it can connect to another network, but whether those other networks actually accept and route the call is a different question (I suspect they may not).  And you can't test this, without actually making an emergency call.

You can make an emergency call from a phone with no SIM card inserted. When you make an emergency call your phone will use the strongest available network (if your own is not available) and they must route the call, it will be a requirement of the operator license.

Message 5 of 10 (4,428 Views)
sewell298

I received same text this morning. I'm not always receiving calls or texts either now. Just tried online chat but gave up after they wanted my username & password to access my account.

Message 6 of 10 (4,413 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi Paul-42 

Thank you for your post.

So we can take a look at this end please can you supply your Sure Signal serial number.

Hi sewell298

I’d like to help to resolve this VSS (Vodafone Sure Signal) issue for you, but to do this I will need to take some further information from you.

Can you post the following results to this thread?

Speedtest and Pingtest

Your IP address.

Traceroute.

• On a PC / Laptop :
  • Click on Start  and select Run
  • Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  • A black box will appear.
  • In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177    press Enter
  • Paste the output of this command into your reply.

And finally, your VSS serial number.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 10 (4,385 Views)
sewell298

Finally manage to get the issue resolved thanks. E-mails dont work, just advised me to change my postcode to match vodafone system. How can I guess what you had it set to? Eventually took 2 phone calls & passed to several departments again.

Message 8 of 10 (4,378 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
chrise

[ Edited ]

Nabs wrote:

chrise wrote: 

You can make an emergency call from a phone with no SIM card inserted. When you make an emergency call your phone will use the strongest available network (if your own is not available) and they must route the call, it will be a requirement of the operator license.

Hi - I'm not aware there is any such requirement in the UK.  Furthermore, I believe most/all UK networks do not route any calls (emergency or otherwise) from handsets without an active SIM for the network in question.  As I said, the phone may think it can do so (and display a message to this effect), but actually making the call will likely fail.

Or so I read on the Internet.  It's kinda tricky to verify this, without making an emergency call, and seeing if you get thru to a real operator...

Message 9 of 10 (4,313 Views)
Nabs

chrise wrote:

Hi - I'm not aware there is any such requirement in the UK.  Furthermore, I believe most/all UK networks do not route any calls (emergency or otherwise) from handsets without an active SIM for the network in question.  As I said, the phone may think it can do so (and display a message to this effect), but actually making the call will likely fail.

Or so I read on the Internet.  It's kinda tricky to verify this, without making an emergency call, and seeing if you get thru to a real operator...

I was under the impression that a deal was made back in 2009 to allow mobile roaming for 999 calls.

It was certainly investigated because I remember at the time being surprised it wasn't already possible (most european countries it is)

Can't find much more than this at the moment http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7932727.stm

Message 10 of 10 (4,267 Views)