Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Problems

nigelbayley
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good morning

I am having an issue with our new type VSS. We changed our ISP from BT ASDL2 because of poor bandwidth which amongst other operational issues was dropping down below 1mb and the VSS quality became poor. We changed to an EFM supply from a company called Node4. Since then the VSS has not worked. I tested the VSS at my home using my ISP New Net, and that did not work either. Our mobile phone supplier who is a Vodafone partner managed to get a replacement, which again would not work. After undertaking several tests and reviewing port settings it has become apparent that if an IP that is registered outside the UK is used on the hops from the VSS to the Vodafone servers, the connection is rejected. We have traced the Node4 failure to a UK based IP(4.69.166.29), but is registered in the USA. New Net failed on 85.205.116.10 which again is based in the UK but registered ironically to Vodafone Germany. Besides Node4 and New Net I am aware that 2 other Vodafone customers, one of which has Demon as a broadband supplier cannot use their VSS because of the same IP issues. I can understand the reasoning behind blocking none UK IP addresses as it would prevent people taking VSS boxes overseas and avoiding roaming charges, but could this not be done with the initial IP connection for the ISP and not several hops down the line. When the courier dropped off our replacement VSS he said that he spent most of his time replacing these boxes as they did not work. Perhaps Vodafone could review the setup of their VSS policy and in turn make savings in customer support and replacement VSS hardware.

Regards

Nigel Bayley

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt

Thanks for the response.

Speed test down 6.91Mpbs

Up 6.97Mpbs

I could not get a ping test from the suggested site as it said either a firewall setting or server problem was blocking the test. Not sure if it is a problem in this case as we have not been able to get the VSS to work in several locations.

Ping test from Speedtest.net 32ms

External IP 46.231.185.94

VSS serial no 40124234507. Worth noting that the VSS is set up with the post code for our mobile phone supplier which is ST5 2UB. Our post code is ST5 6AZ

Results from the trace i have attached as a jpeg.

Hi nigelbayley,

The only IP address that we filter against is the external IP address rather than the inner routings.

I have checked yours and it is registered in the UK from what I can see so I’ve requested for this to be added to the whitelist.

James

James

Many thanks. I will keep you informed of any progress.

Regards

Nigel Bayley

James

Just to let you know that the VSS is now working.

Many thanks.