Support:

Vodafone Sure Signal

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
mrblack

Sure Signal - READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING - please make this a sticky

If you have a steady red light - it won't work.

Vodafone don't know why.

The major issue seems to be the Vodafone IP Whitelist. But no VF tech support knows for sure because they don't have a copy of it (!)

Before doing anything else ask James here to check that your IP address is on their whitelist - he then has to check with someone else deep in vodafone management, which could take three days or three weeks depending on the weather.

Don't call the tech support on the phone until you have confirmed that your IP address is on their list otherwise they will send you on a long and tiresome wild goose chase.

I write this in order to save you the many frustrating hours I and many others have experienced in finding this out. Once you know this isn't the problem, then you can have fun with tech support and opening ports and solving all the other issues.

Good luck.

Message 1 of 10 (4,852 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
mwmw

Re: Sure Signal - READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING - please make this a sticky

[ Edited ]

Message 2 of 10 (4,806 Views)
mrblack

bump

Message 3 of 10 (4,742 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there mrblack,

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm not sure why you've bumped this thread, other than to keep it at the top of the eForum.

I'm afraid I won't be making this post a sticky as it's misleading. The steady red light doesn't necessarily mean that the IP is blacklisted although this is a possibility.

This is why we've got our troubleshooting in place as it helps with the steady/flashing red light scenario and there are things to check before we need to check the whitelist :smileywink:

Cheers,

Lee

Message 4 of 10 (4,652 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Apple_Fanboy

Ok so just to clear some things up in your post.

If you have a steady red light - it won't work.

Vodafone don't know why.

Correct it wont work now but they are working on a fix, they do have an idea why as James said in the other thread they have passed this to the product vendor to fix

The major issue seems to be the Vodafone IP Whitelist. But no VF tech support knows for sure because they don't have a copy of it (!)

The issue is nothing to do with the vodafone whitelist or firewall, this os obvious as people who's VSS used to work are affected as are customers of large IPS's such as BT. The forum and the Thirdline team do have access to view the whitelist, i know because they pasted the results of a lookup into a chat with me when remote accessing my PC.

Before doing anything else ask James here to check that your IP address is on their whitelist - he then has to check with someone else deep in vodafone management, which could take three days or three weeks depending on the weather.

Normaly good advice but see the above comments.

Don't call the tech support on the phone until you have confirmed that your IP address is on their list otherwise they will send you on a long and tiresome wild goose chase.

Good advise, dont call technical support they wont be able fix the problem for you.

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 10 (4,642 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
mswale

Hi there - this is my first post and I'm a non techy so be gentle! I have joined the forum because I am at the end of my tether with my SSv2 box.

History - old box worked fine on BT home hub. Upgraded to BT infinity last week and old SS would not work. Informed by VF that SS v2 required. Still cant get it to work - have spent hours on the phone to BT, and VF, have trawled forums til my head aches but still the red light of death. Is there anybody out there who can tell me definitively if the SSv2 will work with the BTinfinity Home Hub 3? And if so what do I need to do?

I have been through the port forwarding/putting the SS in the DMZ. My next step is to call BT and ask them to take us off Infinity so at least we can use our mobile phones, either that or move to another mobile provider.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks for reading.

Message 6 of 10 (4,618 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi mswale,

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with this too. Can you provide your Sure Signal serial number?

Also, I’ll need you to perform a trace route. To do this, (On XP)

Open command prompt on any computer that uses the same router as the Sure Signal. (Start/ Run/ cmd)

In command prompt type 212.183.133.177 then press enter

Then please post the results on here.

Thanks

Wayne

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 10 (4,563 Views)
mrblack

I'm afraid I won't be making this post a sticky as it's misleading. 

No more misleading than the initial troubleshooting thread here, which, in my case at least, was totally irrelevant and massively time consuming. Was the whitelist also irrelevant in my case? I just don't know as Vodafone haven't answered my previous posts.

The forum and the Thirdline team do have access to view the whitelist

I was told by a member of the thirdline team earlier this week that they do not.

Also, the long delays in the team here responding to whitelist questions indicates they do not have immediate access either. Maybe this has changed now, I hope so.

dont call technical support they wont be able fix the problem for you.

It would save many people a lot of time if that statement was the first line of the troubleshooting thread.

@apple_fanboy - don't get me wrong, the mentoring system is great (does it involve appraising equipment before public release?) and I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts, but am still waiting for the vodafone statement as to exactly what fixed the steady red light issue that myself and many other people wasted our holidays trying to fix.

If the explanation is somewhere else on the forum, please direct me to it.

thanks 

Message 8 of 10 (4,540 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Apple_Fanboy

Hi Mrblack

No the mentoring system does involve me testing these things, in fact I never even noticed I was a mentor till you said :smileyhappy:.

The suggestion about friendly user testing is a great suggestion though...Come on mods put that idea forward as I am sure that others on here including myself would be happy to take part in this.

I do agree that a public statement during the incident and also after it was resolved would be great, it doesn't have to be an in detail technical diagram of the issue but a simple "something broke and caused this, we rebooted and it works" would go miles to helping with customer sentiment after this outage.

Message 9 of 10 (4,525 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

[ Edited ]

Hi mrblack

Thank you for your posts and I am sorry you feel this way.

Our troubleshooting thread are standard questions that enable us to often identify an issue and resolve it, these steps are taken as often this leads to  a resolution however each case has to start somewhere and may be different from the last.

Previously we were a process in which we had to ask for information regarding the whitelist, we now have greater access and can get quicker responses, this has come about the last fortnight and was a result of the demand from our users.

Our technical support are there as a means to help customers with a number of queries including Sure Signal, unfortunately this was a much larger issue than anticipated however this was raised to our support teams, we have worked together to find a resolution and this was implemented.

The suggestion of a friendly user testing is fantastic and I will certainly put this forward.

I am sorry you feel this was unnecessary and was not a quick fix however if you have any queries please do not hesitate to post and we will do everything we can to resolve them.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 10 of 10 (4,446 Views)