Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Stopped Working

dafferni
2: Seeker

So here is my predicament. Bought SS2 box last August after my SS1 stopped worked and despite trying everything support asked me to do I couldn't get it to work. So, I condemmed that device and bought the new one. The SS2 has been working perfectly well until  about two weeks ago. Now it has stopped working (like the SS1).

So I have gone through and performed all the trouble shooting suggestions on the forum and Vodafone support sites (and any other internet sites that mentions Sure Signal).

• I have reset the box so many times and waited the obligatory 6 hours I have lost count,  with no joy.
  • I have reset my netgear router (which works perfectly fine) to no avail.
  • I have swapped ports and cables on the router
  • I have tried another router with the same outcome
  • I have called support and they have validated it's registered and seen no problems
  • I have checked with BT Broadband and they are not aware of any issues
  • My broadband and internet access works for every other device I have connected (Macbooks, iPhones, Kindle, Sky Plus, Apple TV) with no issues
  • I have checked router settings per the Vodafone advise and all is well in that department.
  • Nothing has chanaged in the last 2 weeks so no reason for it simply to stop working.

So please please can someone help me to get this SS2 device working again because I really don't know what else to do.

Current status after every reset is that Red Power light comes on, the two other lights flash for a period of time, then they give up the ghost and the devices sits like a not very attrractive ornamant next to the router, taunting me with what used to be.

I have no signal whatsoever in the house and starting to get a bit tired of standing down the bottom of the garden, especially in the current rainy climate.

Some technical help that doesn't send me round the loop of looking at the trouble shooting guide again, or pointing me to my ISP would be very much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi  

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dafferni, 

Please post the results of the tests in Matt's post above and we'll be happy to investigate this further for you. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Vickihep

hi, i have been on this site for help with the same problem, i'm not very technical so i bit the bullet and bought a new ss3, but when i plugged it in it didn't work either!!!

so i rang bt back, and asked them to forward the ports as vodafone had told me to do. (i have already done this once and they said they couldn't help) but for a change i spoke to a very helpful man, who admitted that the advisors aren't trained for such things but he had a little knowledge about such things, so he would give it a go!

i have written down exactly what he did...he screen shared my computer, and it was all pretty simple. we are now up and running!!!

here goes...it's worth a try!!

type in the address bar, 192.168.1.254/ (there was no www.)

click on settings, you may need to put in your admin password before this which can be found on your router)

and scroll through games consoles etc to VNC

then click enter or whatever it says (no dont need to search for your device in the second box)

then at the top of the screen click on DMZ

click Enable yes

then it gives you an option of devices - mine was down as unknown followed by the MAC address which is on the back of your sure signal box.

then apply.

my SS box was working again within seconds!!

the problem is apparently down to an update Bt have done.

i'm still on a high after speaking to someone from bt that is actually helpful!!!!

I hope this helps more people too!!

Hi Vickihep,

Many thanks for sharing the solution that got your Sure Signal working again.

I’m sure it’ll help any customer in the same situation.

Andy