Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V1 not working for 1 week now

soma
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Having had the V1 working for over 5 years, for the last week it's stopped working.  No signal on either of the 2 phones that we currently have in the house registered to the Sure Signal - it's been costing us quite a bit as we have to use a landline to call mobiles.  Very frustrated.  Nothing has changed network wise, ISP is still the same, no change to broadband speeds etc, still plugged into same router....

Light 1 is on constantly.  Light 2 flashes on and off.  Occasionally light 4 flashes on and off too.  lights at back of ethernet cable show data is being transferred.  No 3G signal of any sort however.

Anyway, done the resets as per troubleshooting guide and hoping that the details below will help sort this out.  Could I ask that we receive the latest firmware upgrade please as it looks from other posters that this has helped.

Speedtest Results

Ping: 23ms

Download Speed: 6.12mbs
Upload Speed: 0.89mbs

Pingtest
Line Quality B*
Ping 27ms
Jitter 2ms
Sky Broadband

IP Address

Tracert
  1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    26 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ip-89-200-131-212.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.212]
  4    28 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  5    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  85.205.0.93
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Serial Number: 2122165630

Thanks in advance - any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi soma,

If the firmware update doesn't solve it, I would replace your power supply, after 5 years this is the most likely cause of your problem and your symptoms do point in that direction.

More info here ...... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good Luck.

Mike.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

cineriv

Hi Mike,

If you look through this thread, the common factor is the failure of the power supply, And it's likely that you have the same problem. 

Ignore the power light showing, that is a red herring!

Power supplies are readily available from Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 inc. delivery.

Another option you could try before you buy, is to persuade your friend to lend you their power supply for a couple of hours to try, or take your SS back to them and try on their power supply, assuming theirs is a version 1  or 2 SS of course. The only sure way to prove this fault is by substitution.

Good luck.

Mike.

Many thanks.

I have ordered a new power supply from Amazon and we will see what happens. Judging from the reviews on Amazon replacing the power supply does resolve the problem.

Can't borrow friends as they have different versions.

Will be back next week when item received.

Mike

Hi

I would definitely try a new power supply as suggested by Mike. I did just that and my SS1 was up and running inside 5 minutes. Check out the thread below.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Forget all the port forwarding nonsense advice given by Vodafone - none of it works believe me I tried so many times.

It is likley to be your power unit - your SS1 will show the lights flashing but the problem is enough power is not getting through.

I know it sounds crazy but believe me I was very sceptical but it worked!

Make sure your power supply is 12v and at least 1.5 amps (2 amps is also okay). Also ensure the female jack is 2.5mm. You can get a power supply from a well know auction site for around a fiver.

Good luck.

Raj

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pennysrtone

Your download speeds are below the average we'd expect to see.

It's worth trying an alternative Ethernet cable, just so we can rule out a fault with the cable.

Can you please let us know what light sequence you're seeing so we can look closer into this?

@Chazzd  

Did you not see the reply before re download speed?  Their SS was working fine until about 4 weeks ago - it is not a download issue!

Why is it all Vodafone tecchies ask users to do the same download tests and usually in teh same thread?!

The solution to this is likley to be the power source which has remedied the problems for lots of SS users - why cant Vodafone suggest this as a possible solution instead of doing the download tests/port forwarding which is a lot of nonsense and waste of time?

I do seriously wonder if Vodafone tech guys even bother reading posts by users giving the remedy or possible solutions!

Yippee!

New power supply arrived today and Sure Signal is now fully operational once again.

Obviously it was the power supply and not all the other items that keep being mentioned and lead you down the wrong track.

My thanks to all who helped.

Update from my original post and power supply solution.

Although the Sure Signal is back up and running we are experiencing lots of 'underwater like' phonecalls whilst using our Sure Signal.  The signal strength says 3G and 5 bar but the call quality can be terrible.  This has been the case on 3 different models of iPhone and is not experienced in any other location other than in the Sure Signal zone.

I think our next solution is to fork out for the over-priced V3 model.  I'm going to speak to Vodafone however as this should be offered for free to customers who can't get a satisfactory signal at home without it.