Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V1 not working for 1 week now

soma
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Having had the V1 working for over 5 years, for the last week it's stopped working.  No signal on either of the 2 phones that we currently have in the house registered to the Sure Signal - it's been costing us quite a bit as we have to use a landline to call mobiles.  Very frustrated.  Nothing has changed network wise, ISP is still the same, no change to broadband speeds etc, still plugged into same router....

Light 1 is on constantly.  Light 2 flashes on and off.  Occasionally light 4 flashes on and off too.  lights at back of ethernet cable show data is being transferred.  No 3G signal of any sort however.

Anyway, done the resets as per troubleshooting guide and hoping that the details below will help sort this out.  Could I ask that we receive the latest firmware upgrade please as it looks from other posters that this has helped.

Speedtest Results

Ping: 23ms

Download Speed: 6.12mbs
Upload Speed: 0.89mbs

Pingtest
Line Quality B*
Ping 27ms
Jitter 2ms
Sky Broadband

IP Address

Tracert
  1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    26 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ip-89-200-131-212.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.212]
  4    28 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  5    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  85.205.0.93
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Serial Number: 2122165630

Thanks in advance - any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi soma,

If the firmware update doesn't solve it, I would replace your power supply, after 5 years this is the most likely cause of your problem and your symptoms do point in that direction.

More info here ...... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good Luck.

Mike.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

Hi Raj. I see that the V1 uses a 1.5amp power supply. I have a spare BT router power supply that's 12v but it's only 1amp. Would this be able to prove the concept of whether changing the power supply will fix my problem. Geoff

Hi Everyone who helped with the power supply solution. IT WORKED. I used a spare power supply from a BT router. Only rated at 1 amp but it still worked. I spoke to an electronics engineer who told me many designers overrate the amount of amps. He also said what happens with power supplies over time is that the elecrolytic capacitors dry out. So the power supply still has enough juice in it to light up LEDs but not enough to get the unit working properly.

cineriv

Hi joffbeck,

I'm sure Raj won't mind me answering on his behalf.

You can prove the point by using a 1 Amp supply, but I personally wouldn't  trust it to be reliable or safe for any amount of time.

Strangely enough, I replied to someone on here only last night who has been using a 1 Amp supply on his SS for the last 4 months and it seems to work for him ok.......... Message #9 onwards..... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-Power-Supply-Failed/td-p/1614988

I hope that helps.

Mike.

EDIT  I'm glad to see you've solved the problem. Your electronics engineer is absolutely right, but I don't believe in running anything to it's maximum, In fact I would suggest a 2Amp supply is even better for a SS.

M

Hi Mike

I will get a higher rated PS just to be sure but for now (no thanks to Vodafone) I can use their network again.

cineriv

Hi joffbeck,

I've just sent you a Private Message.

Mike.

pennysrtone
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Similar situation to Jamian, I also have done the tests and re booted to no avail. I have also taken the Sure Signal to a friends house nearby who have a working Sure Signal but mine won't operate there either. It has been suggested that the Firmware needs updating but how do I go about this? thanks in advance for any help or response.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pennysrtone

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Ben,

Answers as follows:

Speed Test: 1.24Mbps Download/ 0.6 Mbps Upload

Ping: 26ms

IP Address: 91.84.92.212

Traceroute: Wont allow be to copy & paste but results are:

1) 3ms 3ms 3ms TP-link.Home (192.168.1.11)

2) 37ms 36ms 36ms Lo0_eclds-bbal.gsl.eclipse.net.uk(82.153.1.65)

3) 37ms 39ms 37ms 86.54.135.72

4) 40ms 39ms 38ms Indgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)

5) 38ms 40ms 38ms 85.205.093

Items 6-30 are all "request  timed out"

Serial Number: 21221075720

Look forward to your reply.

Pennystrone

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pennysrtone – Your download speed is very slow which will cause you problems. You’ll need to contact your ISP to discuss this further.

When you tested the Sure Signal at your friend’s house, did you unplug their Sure Signal? Two Sure Signals won’t always work in close range, so that will be why yours wouldn’t work.

Jenny,

There is nothing I can do about the download speed, this is general for the area irrespective of provider and until 3 now nearly four weeks ago the Sure Signal was working fine. My friends are on the same BT Exchange as is everyone else in the area and they have no problems. Cannot it not simply be that the device is now faulty and should be replaced!

It seems to me that I am doing all the work here and Vodafone are not offering any practical solutions.

Await your further comments.

Mike