Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V1 only first two lights solid green

breeze1212
3: Seeker

Hi

After a few years of full signal in my house thanks to my SS, I've gone to zero signal overnight.

Lengthy discussions with support say that despite my excellent broadband etc, the SS cannot cope with a single long hop in a ping test and therefore won't connect again now that has happened.

In the past it has stopped working on occasion due to some upgrade or other somewhere and a simple re-set or re-sync at the vodafone end has resolved the problem, however I'm told that this won't help this time.

I offered to buy the new SS as mine is one of the first, and was also told this wouldn't help and that I should speak to my ISP (Zen) to see what they can do about packet loss?? Zen of course told me that they get calls ALL THE TIME from people moaning about their SS and there's nothing they can do.

Top two lights are lit solid green and haven't got anything else for days despite regular resets. I've done ping tests since with no long hops at all, so not sure why it won't reset itself or connect again.

Anyone got any ideas? I work from home so badly need mobile signal in my house. Not got a single bar at the moment. Thank you!

Serial number of SS: 21197117290

28ms ping, 43.76 down, 15.76 up, 

My IP: 217.155.34.206

Traceroute: 

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1)  6.092 ms  1.666 ms  1.505 ms

2  dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254)  26.878 ms  94.788 ms  99.908 ms

3  losubs.subs.dsl7.wh-man.zen.net.uk (62.3.83.20)  20.168 ms  19.835 ms  19.810 ms

4  ae1-130.cr1.wh-man.zen.net.uk (62.3.86.49)  128.449 ms  71.271 ms  46.247 ms

5  ge-3-0-0-0.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk (62.3.80.45)  45.563 ms *  27.459 ms

6  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.209)  29.328 ms  29.665 ms  29.978 ms

7  85.205.0.86 (85.205.0.86)  31.651 ms  27.628 ms  28.190 ms

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi Breeze1212,

It might be worthwhile trying a new power supply.

V1 power supplies are losing efficency due to age and are causing the SS to produce some odd symptoms.

New power supplies are readily available from Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 delivered, so worth a try.

Good Luck.

Mike.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

breeze1212

Any ideas from vodafone? Thanks.

Hi @breeze1212

Make sure that the port forwarding is correct on your router.

It needs to read as the following –

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Once this has been done on the router, perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

Hi - no same situation. First two lights solid green, nothing else.

Can you see whether it synced your end properly?

cineriv

Hi Breeze1212,

It might be worthwhile trying a new power supply.

V1 power supplies are losing efficency due to age and are causing the SS to produce some odd symptoms.

New power supplies are readily available from Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 delivered, so worth a try.

Good Luck.

Mike.

Thanks, I will try that and report back.

Hi, Mike

I don't know if you're Vodafone yourself, but if you are you're the fifth person I've spoken to and the first to suggest the power lead. Which worked.

I am now back on full signal in the house.

Thank you very much.

If you ARE Vodafone, please please tell your colleagues to suggest this on the phone. I spent 40 minutes with one guy doing ping tests and all sorts. What a waste of time. It's not port forwarding, it's not ping tests, it's an old power cable.

Take note, everyone with a V1.

Thanks, again.

cineriv

Hi Breeze1212,

I'm glad to hear your problem is now resolved. :smileyhappy:

I have no connection with VF..... I am like yourself, just a customer who did have a V1 power problem last Christmas. :smileyfrustrated: and, like you, never got a satisfactory reply from tech support. 

Being a retired electronics engineer, it didn't take that long to work out what the problem was.

I'm here to try and get the message through to everyone to replace their V1 power supplies, whether they need them or not! 

As you have found out, they fail in strange ways and leave the user scratching their heads trying to work out what the problem is, and also spending hours on the phone or on here looking for a solution, which you may or may not get!

Unfortunately the power supply doesn't appear on the tech support 'common problems' list. 

I have lost count on the number of V1 power supply problems I have successfully suggested to other users since January, but it is in the 100's.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before the V2 supplies start failing in a big way ..... A few already have! 

Thanks for your appreciation,

Mike.