cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V2 not making outgoing calls.

Ess_Gee
3: Seeker

Hi Support team,

Case Reference: CS00015928838.

Serial Number: 40123742997.
SureSignal Version: V2
Download Speed: 49.61 mb/s.
Upload Speed: 2.99 mb/s.
Ping: 24 ms
Jitter: 1ms
External IP: 80.192.36.150
Date issue first noticed: 02/05/2014
Devices connected to Sure Signal: 5 (2 have since been removed , now sitting at 3).
Deregistered & Registered Sure Signal: Yes
Resync'd from Vodafone end: Yes
Reset carried out: Yes, at least 5 times.
Device moved to eliminate interference: Yes
Lights: Power and In-Service Light on solid, Call light flashes when attempting to make a call.

A static IP has been assigned to the Sure Signal and the following ports have been opened up on my VM Superhub:

• 8 TCP /UDP
  • 50 TCP /UDP
  • 53 TCP /UDP
  • 67 UDP
  • 68 UDP
  • 123 UDP
  • 500 UDP
  • 1723 TCP /UDP
  • 4500 UDP
  • 33434 - 33445 UDP

C:\Users\Me>tracert 212.183.133.177
Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     7 ms     7 ms    10 ms  cpc3-livi6-2-0-gw.18-2.cable.virginm.net [80.192.36.1]
  2     8 ms     9 ms     7 ms  sgyl-core-2b-ae9-711.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.231.153]
  3    14 ms    13 ms    12 ms  leed-bb-1b-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.48.81]
  4    21 ms    21 ms    19 ms  leed-bb-2a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.121]
  5    15 ms    13 ms    14 ms  leed-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.126]
  6    21 ms    21 ms    20 ms  62.252.224.238
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Symptoms:
My Sure Signal does not allow any of the devices connected to it to make calls, as soon as we attempt to call out, the phone rings once (on both the phones making and taking the call) before the call terminates and the message "Call Ended" appears on the display.

All devices connected to the Sure Signal have full signal bars, Incoming calls and data are fine, however outgoing calls cannot be made.

Please investigate this issue, as all 5 x devices has had minimal service for a week now.

Also, please add the above comments to case reference: CS00015928838.

5 REPLIES 5

Ess_Gee

Can I can an update on this, thanks.

Hi,

My Sure Signal has started working normally again this morning without any further intervention by myself.

Please have the courtesy of responding to my post and advise on what action Vodafone has taken to resolve the matter.

Incidentally, my tracert is still the same as it was when it was wasn't working, so can you please explain why it's failing at hop 7 but the device now works?

This is the tracert after the device started working:

C:\Users\Me>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     9 ms    32 ms  cpc3-livi6-2-0-gw.18-2.cable.virginm.net [80.192.36.1]

2    10 ms     8 ms     9 ms  sgyl-core-2b-ae9-711.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.231.153]

3    16 ms    20 ms    12 ms  leed-bb-1b-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.48.81]

4    24 ms    23 ms    19 ms  leed-bb-2a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.121]

5    13 ms    16 ms    13 ms  leed-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.126]

6    23 ms    29 ms    20 ms  62.252.224.238

7     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Hi Ess_Gee and welcome to the eForum,

The last step on the trace is a Virgin Media IP address. So it looks like your ISP may be blocking some traffic from getting to our servers.

I’d recommend you contact your ISP.

Thanks

Wayne

Thank you for responding Wayne, If you read my previous post in its entirety, you will have noticed that the issue is now resolved.

This is not an ISP issue as the Sure Signal now makes outgoing voice traffic despite the tracert failing on hop 7.

Can you please advise on what steps were carried out by Vodafone to resolve the issue.

"Id recommend you contact your ISP"

!!!?? ##### That's a pretty casual piece of IP diagnostic!

To the OP, nowhere on this forum is it explained why you are being asked to do a tracert. Apologies for the lengthy post.

tracert sends ICMP ECHO messages with the Time To Live field set to an increasing integer. Each time a router passes on the packet it decrements the TTL and the router that gets 0 sends a message back to say that the packet was discarded. The sender measures the round trip time for each hop and prints them out.

However lots of things can happen to make this hard to interpret

- "Request timed out" on last sequence of hops. This is what ALWAYS happens to Vodafone as somewhere (I assume Vodafones edge router) there is a firewall that blocks ICMP and does not respond. It means nothing.

- "Request timed out" at the beginning is often a domestic or business router that is configured not to respond to ICMP.

- "Request timed out" or * and some high measurements means that the router at that hop is taking a long time to respond to the ICMP. This is often because it is loaded and many core network routers will de-priorities ICMP traffic in an effort to carry more real traffic.

The bottom line is that "Request timeout" says absolutely NOTHING about your ability to reach a particular network destination. (Other than if it the routing path goes on for 30, 40 hops and never gets anywhere, tracert is not a useful tool for testing the reachability of a destination address.)

High numbers are not necessarily indicative of anything much either! The key point to understand is that the times are for the whole round trip including all the previous hops.

- A high response time (>100ms say) at a single node which is not repeated on the next node usually indicates that the node is overloaded and is de-prioriting ICMP. 

- A quick response to the first packet and slow to the second is quite common on domestic routers. My HomeHub always does it.

Problems are mainly indicated by the response times going high at one node and then staying high for the subsequent nodes. This means that all the packets going to the node and then through it to further nodes are getting delayed. This suggest that node has a problem. If there are sporadic * then the delays are either very large or there may even be packet loss.

Two situations are likely relevant to VSS

- the ping to your router (node 1) is fast (<5ms) but the ping over your ADSL connection to the first node in the telco network is slow (100 or 200ms) and STAYS SLOW or worsens for all future nodes. This means you have high latency in your ADSL connection and VSS might not work. What can you do? Not a lot. Lots of web sites offer suggestion about getting noise off your line - unless it used to be OK your ADSL provider is not going to be able to do much.

- the pings somewhere in the ISP go up and stay up. This suggest a problem with a router in the ISP and could be reported.

Sorry for ramble