cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V2 on Asus N-55U Router. What do I do with destination Addresses?

time2relax
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I Have a working Sure Signal V2 - Good News!!. However it only works when on my  BT Home-Hub(V2). For all sorts of reasons I am changing to an ASUS N55U Router. I have followed your instructions to set up Port Forwarding on the new router. for the SS Box etc.

You refer in your Troubleshooting Guide "Destination Addresses". I don't know what to do with these - but presumably some sort of set-up which is not needed on the BT Router is needed on the Asus Router to associate these addresses with the SS Box. Is there some protocol I have to enable/set-up for this - something already enabled on the BT Router?

The Sure Signal Symptoms are always the same - after a Full Reset I get both white lights flashing for a few moments then only the Red Light. Doing the same, back on the BT Router - all is well. At the Vodafone end - is any reset / re-sync needed for a new router with new MAC addresses etc. I am 100% reliant on the SS Box - with zero signal in our village! The new Router works in all other respects.

Hope someone can help.

15 REPLIES 15

The Asus DSL-N55U is an award winning Router with excellent reviews. I feel sure someone out there will have one working with a Sure Signal Box. My VSS (V2) works really well with several other Routers but I can't get it up and running with the Asus. Any help appreciated! I've set up Port Forwarding for approriate ports and followed the helpful forum guides without success - also run the PFconfif product with a specific app to set-up my particular Asus for use with the VSS - still only a solid power light!!. Can have the system up and running again in minutes by going back to the BT Homehub. The Log reports NoReply from Vodafone (212.183.133.179) on port 4500

Is there anything at the central end required - a resync maybe. Serial Number is 40120925553

Unfortunately the Asus Manual is unbelievably appalling. I like the router however - apart from the VSS problem.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi time2relax,

Thanks for taking your time to post.

I can see Ben from my team responded to your other post on the 11 February.

I’m sorry we’re unable to provide any support on your router.

Thanks,

Gemma

In my retirement I can claim to be both Old and Stubborn in equal measure.

Determined to get the VSS up and running on my Asus N-55u I have tried many, many, yes and many of the options available to the Asus Router user - alas with little knowledge of the significance of most of the changes I have made.

I came accross an old forum comment suggesting that Vodafone requested a VSS user to change from PPPoE to  PPPoA protocol. My "Working BT Homehub - with VSS" has always been running using PPoA, and I manually selected this for my new Asus N-55u Router(obviously!!!). I have just changed to PPPoE and for the millionth time reset the VSS and watched the Asus Systen Log - expecting bad news . What have we here - a good link on both ports 500 and 4500!!!!! and after 15 minutes a working 3G signal.

Is this a miracle, I ask myself!!

Being retitred I'm now out of touch with modern networks and in our village the BT exchange have only recently abandoned paraffin!

I appreciate that the PVC protocol is between my router and the BT exchange ATM equipment and along with the selected multiplexing will be more or less efficient, having different overheads - but is this a significant issue with the Sure Signal Box.

Why have things sprung to life after one months down-time? Any ideas appreciated. In most instances I have been restoring the Router to default settings before making changes so I don't think a rogue setting has been the

cause. All I seem to have done is change from PPoA to PPoE.

I'm exhausted  - but relieved - depending totally on the VSS for a 3G signal.

Cheers

Just occurred to me! Could all this be something to do with the MTU setting limits - are they not different on PPPoA and PPPoE. Is it not 1500 on one and 1496 on the other?

Burning the midnight oil again - Yes! paraffin still has its uses.

Good night all.

Hi time2relax,

Thanks for posting.

We ask that the MTU settings are as high as they can possibly be.

If it's 1496 that's absolutely fine.

Thanks

Ian

I have switched from bt homehub 2 to asus DSL-N55U. Couldn't get vss to work, followed time2relax's solution... Hard reset of router, set as PPPoE instead of PPPoA... Shouldn't work, but vss up and running! This is the only settings change, no port forwarding, DMZs, the NAT pass through all at default.

Thanks time2relax!

James