Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 Not Working

pip2508
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi was asked to gather this info and send through to you as my Sure Signal V3 will not 'fire up'.  V2 been working here for years and then stopped so Vodafone replaced with this V3.  Haven't been able to connect. 

Flashing power light, Solid System Light, Solid User Light - tried de-registering, re-registering and various re-sets. 

Hoping something that can be easily sorted as I am without any phone at home without this :0(

Speedtest

Download: 4.14 Mbps

Upload: 2.92 Mbps

PING 63ms

Jitter 21ms

Line quality B*

IP 62.172.166.193

Serial No. 42144745371

Traceroute results:

C:\Users\Pip>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     6 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.3.1
  3    17 ms    16 ms    13 ms  217.33.59.177
  4    73 ms    45 ms    23 ms  109.144.81.8
  5    51 ms    45 ms    44 ms  109.159.252.20
  6    58 ms    74 ms    91 ms  peer1-xe3-0-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.219]
  7    36 ms    38 ms    35 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  8    30 ms    61 ms    33 ms  85.205.0.93
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Pip>

Many thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Rodney
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @pip2508,

Please contact your Internet service provider and ensure the following ports are open;

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

Once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Rodney

Thank you - will get on to my Internet Service Provider :0)  Hopefully you won't be hearing from me again......

How did you get on?  My ISP (BT) said 'what did it have to do with them?...they couldn't  change  the insides of my router'. Did yours  say the same?

Hi jhopkins

Waiting to hear back from the guy that looks after our routers and system here.  We have a main way in but routers off of it to service holiday cottages.  He is the one that deals with the routers and I would expect the person that could look into this - we use a fairly new local ISP, have emailed them too, so just playing a waiting game!!!!!

What did you do in the end to rectify the situation??

Hi pip258

I returned  my SSV3 and got a  full refund ( the local Vodaphone  guy said he was  spending  a lot of his time  trying to sort out  problems  like this!). So I now  have a  mobile that I can't  use ( unless I go several  miles  from home)  an SSV! which I have been told  by Vodaphone  is inoperative ( I'm not convinced....it had  stopped  working after  a  couple of weeks  away...but there is no logical reason why it should fail)  and I have a  Vodaphone contract which I will terminate  at the earliest possible  opportunity. When I learn that other  mobile companies  have a simple app that you can install on your  mobile  which functions  like a  Suresignal , the way forward is clear!! Unlike you, I don't have a  guy who  monitors  and  maintains  our  computers  and  router....there  was  just the  inital  installation and that was it. I am reminded of a spreadsheet I use as part of  a  hobby of  mine....it's really  just a listing  device. There are  annual  updates  which always used to be in text and  you just altrered  the  spreadsheet accordingly. Then one year they embedded  the updates  in a  spreadsheet that had  32000 lines....when I  complained, they said  if you are familiar with spreadsheets  it will be easy to find the changes. I pointed out that as a retiree who had  never worked  with computers, it was  way beyond  my skills. They are now back to text updates. However, I don't  expect such a positive  response  from Vodaphone.

Hi Vodafone

I gave the information of the ports that needed to be opened for the Sure Signal box to work - however, our tech guy says that by opening these ports it would pose a security issue with our network!!

Please can you confirm your reasoning behind opening these ports so that I can advise him - at this present time, obviously my parents (who's network it is) are not prepared to risk the integrity of the security on their network and I am still without any form of phone communication at home - which is where I am for the majority of the day! So, currently paying for a service that i cannot use...!!

I look forward to hearing back

Hi @pip2508

The negotiating of the necessary ports for the Sure Signal to work, is usually done automatically (UPnP).

When customers are having problems with getting the Sure Signal set up, we ask them to open the necessary ports that the Sure Signal uses, to give it a better chance.

When a packet of data gets sent to your router, it has to go through the list of ports (65,536 to be exact) until it finds the correct one (depending on the type of traffic).

By forwarding the ports on your router, it can forward traffic directly to the port it needs to and thus speed up the whole process.

On the security side of things, it’s not a major risk.

The open port is only open for the service it uses. For instance, UDP port 123 is used for NTP (Network time protocol), so only NTP data packets can be sent to this port. It’s difficult to pose a security threat, when only that type of data can get through.

Thanks,

Wayne

Thank you Wayne for your reply - I will forward this information to my folks computer guy :0)

Hi again Vodafone!

Well, we had our computer guy out and he opened the ports you said and did the re-boot of the Sure Signal box and left it to do its thing.  Unfortunately exactly the same light pattern came up.  So, he came back and we tried another router, brand new and set it up as requested by you and left it again to do its thing.  Still the same light pattern. 

Can only now assume that possibly the Sure Signal box has a fault?? 

Please can you advise whether I should take this back to the shop I got it and request a replacement or can you make any other suggestions please.....I am now hugely frustrated as not only do I not have Signal at home (where I am 80% of the time), I am paying for a contract I can't use and am now having to pay for a Skype package just so that i can have some sort of communication with the outside world.

Thanks in advance from a hugely frustrated person.

Pip