Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 not connecting

mjmag
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Three days ago I purchased a Sure Signal V3 and attached it to my BT Home Hub 4 router but it still isn’t working.  Initially, I get the flashing red light and then the flashing white connection symbol which turns a steady orange after 5 minutes and that’s as far as it gets.  My device is registered and visible on my network and I have also reset my router (several times) changed sockets and the ethernet cable but there’s no difference.  I also tried a factory reset on the device but this doesn’t seem to work as I have held down the buton for over 1 minute and the orange light still remains on.  I then contacted customer support who performed a resync on the device, but no joy. I contacted them a second time but was informed it wasn’t their problem rather BTs who must have a firewall in place.  Naturally, BT has said that it’s nothing to do with them and the only advice they gave was to reset my router.  After conducting an internet search I then tried port forwarding on my hub opening ports 50, 4500, 500, 123 and 53. I also switch off the smart setup and created a static IP address for my device. I have now tried everything that has been suggested to me by BT and Vodafone customer support and I’m at a loss as to what to do next.  Any suggestions?

Here are the results from the tests I performed.

Download speed 2.99 Mbps

Upload speed: 0.18 Mbps

Ping: 51ms Jitter: 4 ms

IP Address: 86.189.199.208

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     8 ms     6 ms     6 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3     *        *        *     Request timed out.

4    35 ms    35 ms    57 ms  217.41.216.109

5    46 ms    45 ms    39 ms  213.120.158.234

6    37 ms    38 ms    37 ms  213.120.162.69

7    86 ms    42 ms    38 ms  31.55.165.109

8    38 ms    36 ms    37 ms  acc2-10GigE-0-3-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.250.210]

9    49 ms    49 ms    49 ms  core1-te0-3-0-14.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.250.154]

10    51 ms    52 ms    50 ms  peer6-te0-0-0-12.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.254.126]

11    48 ms    47 ms    46 ms  t2c3-et-3-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.236]

12    50 ms    47 ms    49 ms  166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Serial No of SS3: 43163746969

17 REPLIES 17

Spriggsie
4: Newbie

From what I can see the upload speed may be the issue (0.18Mbps), the sure signal box uses 1Mbps upload & download speeds.

To test my theory, have you got a friend or relative that you may visit & connect it to their fibre / broadband? 

If it works on their connection, it would suggest that your speed is too slow.

If it doesn't work, then you can say it's a faulty sure signal box.

The first time I connected my sure signal box it took a long time to sync with Vodafone (my speed is 38Mbps down & 10Mbps up).

Good luck & I hope my comment is of help. :Smiling:

Hi Thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and would have to go several miles out of my post code in order to check this out.  I agree my upload speed is very slow as it varies from 0.18 Mbps to really the maximum of 0.45 Mbps but I do believe the device is faulty which Vodafone completely refute.

I was with BT and know the problems with a slow connection (0.5Mbps down & 0.1Mbps up), I changed to sky fibre & was happy with the introductory offer ... now changing to Vodafone fibre, as sky raise the rates to double what Vodafone charge!! 

The first thing that Vodafone may say is causing the issue is the speed, if you can rule this out then it's easier for them to isolate the problem. 

If it is the speed then you may be able to upgrade to fibre (check at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker to see what is avaliable to your home),

contect your current provider and ask for the guaranteed minimum speed (if you as not getting this then they should be able to speed your connection up!). 

I am an IT Administrator by trade (Nothing to do with Vodafone), and hope this comment may help you to go forward. 

Good luck. :Smiling:

The area where I live does not have fibre broadband so that’s not an option for me.  Plus I have had BT engineers out on several occasions and they inform me that I have the best speed available for my line.  I guess it’s the price you pay for living in the countryside, slow internet and reduced mobile coverage.

I would still suggest connecting it via a friends connection (especially if it's the first time and they have a faster internet connection), as when I connected mine for the first time it took a few hours to establish a link. After that it was 30-60 seconds to establish a connection.

If you do connect it at your friends, don't worry about changing the postcode to the their address on the account (it's only a temporary location) .... the postcode needs to be the one that it will be permanently used from (your address).

If it does connect there, it should then take 30-60 seconds to connect at your address (after the first connection is established).

It would be easy to blame your connection speed, if you can take this out of the equation then you can prove it could be a faulty sure signal box, 

I know it's a pain to travel to test this, and I myself lived in the countryside for many years and know how frustrating it can be, especially when people say it's your fault when you know it isn't (it drove me crazy when they did that to me), and from my experience, if you can eliminate the internet speed then the technical team can't blame the problems on that! 

Sorry I can't be more help. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the advice. Just took my Sure Signal to a friend’s house who has BT Infinity and still no connection. It was the same story, I got the flashing white internet connection light which changed after 5 minutes to solid orange and stayed like that for an hour. Guess this means that it’s not a speed problem.

That's good news .... well, in its own kind of way.

At least you can prove it's the sure signal box, and you've run tests to prove it. The next thing I would recommend is to contact where you purchased it for a replacement or repaired. 

Under Consumer rights act 2015 - you have a right for the sure signal box to be repaired or replaced if there is a hardware problem (don't let them say it's because of your connection - you have proved that it is the product at fault). 

I believe that you have 6 years for faulty electrical goods - and this is an electrical item. 

If you purchased it from Vodafone, try the complaints line ; they should be able to help and to replace / repair the product or transfer you to someone that can, if they refuse; Ombusman. 

Vodafone has been great at resolving my issues in the past, hope they can do the same for you. 

Sorry I can't help you more.

Good luck. :Smiling: 

It could be worth directly messaging one of the tech team at Vodafone (make sure they are the tech team & not a administrator... big difference). :Smiling: 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/About-the-community/Meet-the-team/m-p/2421956#M1152

They may be able help you quicker!! 

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mjmag Apologies for the delay in replying to your query. 

I've had a look at your serial number and can see your Vodafone Sure Signal made a successful connection with our server on 29 Ocotber 2016. 

Please can you let us know if you're still expereincing issues?