Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 not working. Lights correct and numbers registered

Mike_CA
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have virtualy the same problem as benzal20 had with his VSS, i have had 2 units since August last year but the combined times the unit has worked must be about 4 weeks in total!

Both units displayed the same issues it will work for various lengths of times sometimes a week without fault and sometimes a matter of hours.

I have been through all the senarios resyncing, restoring factory defaults etc some work temporarily others don't, the last time I phoned tech support they said my broadband was the issue as my average speed download is about 12Mb/s and upload is about 0.3Mb/s. However at substantially lower upload speeds my VSS has worked without fail for a full week with a laptop and 2 mobiles connected at the same time, this week nothing will connect?

With this fact i don't believe it is down to my Broadband I have tried different routers port forwarding etc.

VSS sn: 40132214236

Download 14.66Mb/s

Upload 0.4Mb/s

Ping 42ms

Jitter 1ms

External IP 146.90.40.175

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    80 ms    99 ms    99 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
  2    26 ms    25 ms    26 ms  lo0-central10.ptw-ag01.plus.net [195.166.128.195
]
  3    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  link-b-central10.ptw-gw02.plus.net [212.159.2.14
6]
  4    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  xe-4-2-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.242]
  5    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]
  6    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  te-4-2.car5.London1.Level3.net [217.163.45.249]

7    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  ae-51-51.csw1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.139.88]
  8    73 ms    25 ms    26 ms  ae-118-3504.edge3.London1.Level3.net [4.69.166.1
42]
  9    33 ms    27 ms    28 ms  CABLE-WIREL.edge3.London1.Level3.net [195.50.124
.138]
 10    26 ms    30 ms   107 ms  195.2.30.61
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Another bit of information that may or not be relavent is my wifes new phone (November 2013) (Nokia Lumia 520) never connected, the phone was returned to Vodafone and a software upgrade ws performed and as soon as she returned home all three phones and my laptop connected immediately with full strength for over a week, however all have no signal.

Any Help would be appreciated to find where the issue lies.

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mike_CA,

The Sure Signal connected with our servers last night. Have you seen any change today?

The IP and traceroute look fine. You're also running the latest firmware.

The speed could certainly be an issue. I'm not sure how the Sure Signal has been working on speeds below 0.3Mb/s. This would usually cause the data connection to time out.

I'd speak to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if there's anything they can do to increase your upload speed.

I'd also try this alternate reset to see if it helps:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Dave

Hi Dave

No change today it's been off for a week now no signal on any phones, i have just tried the reset that you suggested, just to clarify when i disconnect the ethernet cable and hold the reset for over 30 seconds all lights remain on until i release the reset at which point all lights go off.

Once I refit the ethernet the VSS then starts to reconnect.

I have spoken to Plusnet about increasing my upload speed but they say are limited as my exchange is not yet on fibre?

But the pevious week when the VSS was working on all phones and laptop simultaniously i checked my speed and my upload was 0.25Mb/s with no issues? Do you only need the increased speed dependant on how much data is being transmitted ie how many phones are connected?

I will let you know how the reset goes.

Dave

VSS came on after reset and phone connected via VSS but after 5 minutes signal was gone changed my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) to network mode WCDMA only and signal came back and connected via VSS?

Changed phone back to WCDMA/GSM currently still connected, sorry no, connection has gone again as we speak!

I don't think this has solved the problem.

Mike

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mike_CA,

The fact that the signal keeps dropping and then reconnecting does suggest a possible issue with your internet connection.

The easiest way to check this would be to try the Sure Signal in a different location, such as a family member or friend.

The unit will need to go through the set up process in the new location before you can test it.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy