Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 not working even after resetting

Ossiedog
3: Seeker

Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange reset done and router checked please help.   

398 REPLIES 398

Anonymous
Not applicable

I took mine to my mother in laws the day before the tech person put the "all working now" post up. So I think mine was corrected by the plugging it into a   BT hub at her house rather than anything Vodafone did. I haven't dared unplug it at home (on Virgin) just incase it goes wrong again.

Mine has been up and running since the 21st using the alternate method 

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mpw246pl

I've done a resync of your Sure Signal.

Please leave it for 24 hours then reset the device. 

It may take up to one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online. 

Re: Version 3 (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange)

My original posting was on 08/11/15 and can be found here but is copied and updted below:

I am another VIRGIN MEDIA v Vodafone Sure Signal sufferer. About 3 days ago (so about 5th Nov) my VSS 3 stopped working (having been registered for many months) and got the dreaded flashing red light as detailed below:

(1) Flashing RED Power light
(2) Internet Light - solid white
(3) In Service Light - off
(4) In Use Light - solid white

Hard reset conducted - after 1-2hrs, no change in the lights, no matter how many resets, this has been the same for 3 days.

New ethernet cable attached & hard reset conducted, no change

Serial Number: 42150231209

Mac Address: B046FC5EFE7D

ISP: Virgin Media
Download speed: 107.29Mbps
Upload speed: 6.22Mbps
Ping: 12ms

Ping test results
Packet loss: Unable to test
Ping: 20Ms
Jitter: 2ms
Line Quality: B*
Server:Maidenhead
ISP:Virgin Media
Distance:50 miles

External IP: 86.3.90.71

tracert 212.183.133.177
Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 10 ms 12 ms 11 ms cpc2-epso5-2-0-gw.6-3.cable.virginm.net [86.3.90.1]
3 9 ms 51 ms 12 ms hers-core-2a-xe-820-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.35.33]
4 46 ms 13 ms 16 ms brnt-bb-1c-ae21-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.33]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 15 ms 16 ms * brhm-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.210]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 22 ms 19 ms 23 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
10 21 ms 24 ms 21 ms 85.205.0.86
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.
Trace complete.

MTU: 1500

Ports forwarded and checked as below:
8 – TCP/UDP
50 – TCP/UDP
53 – TCP/UDP
67 – UDP
68 – UDP
123 – UDP
500 – UDP
1723 – TCP/UDP
4500 – UDP
33434 – 33445 – UDP

Firewall Settings
IPSec Pass-Through ticked
PPTP Pass-Through ticked
Multicast Pass-Through ticked

Vodafone
Firstly please help with my problem from your end.
Secondly, if you believe this to be a problem with VIRGIN MEDIA, please help US and give us the information of what the problem is, so we can address out issue with Virgin and educate them

09/11/15 Update
No reply from Vodafone to original post, so posted again having today spoken with Virgin Media.

Virgin Media
Representative read this forum thread as a result of me contacting them, they assured me that:
My superhub is running the most uptodate software
There service has not changed in recent weeks
That my Superhub had the correct ports forwarded and that it had a static IP
A Superhub reset & then a VSS3 hard reset resulted in the same error!!

Representative then suggested addin gthe VSS3 into the DMZ settings of the Superhub, this was attempted followed by Superhub reset & then a VSS3 hard reset - result = same error!!!!

12/11/15 Update
7th day without a VSS3 signal which is causing no end of problems as little or no coverage at my address
No personal contact from Vodafone
No transparency as to just 'what' the tech department are doing
Only positive I can make out is that Vodafone Techy posts admit there is a problem and that the investigation is on-going

16/11/15 update
Fault still occurring, therefore no VSS and 1 bar on vodafone mast signal.
as with others i thought that my original post had been deleted as I had posted it in http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Version-3-Power-flashing-Internet-solid-orange-I... which by the title is the most appropriate place. Only after searching this morning, it appears threads have been merged or postings moved, hence finding this today.

03/12/15     Man Sad 1 Month on & still NO working VSS3 Man Sad

I haven't received any contact from Voda re my lack of a working VSS3. I've been monitoring this thread and was happy to note the posting by Technician 'Beau' on behalf of Voda saying this fault 'should' now be fixed. I was diappointed to see that there was NO explanation as to what the fault was.

Yesterday (02/12/15) I followed their advice and powered down the Superhub and VSS3 for over 5 minutes (including holding the white reset button in to, although they do not state to do that). I waited 5hours after reconnection and all I get is a FLASHING red light & SOLID 4th light 'In Service'.

I again tried the reset, this time I powered both down for 10minutes before reconnection, and now after 16hours all I get is the FLASHING red light & SOLID 4th light'In Service' againMan FrustratedMan Mad

Those of you that have now got the VSS3 working on Virgin Media, can you clarify as to whether your service has come back as a result of:

1. The unofficial 'work around' of connecting VSS3 to another ISP before reverting back to Virgin, OR
  2. Noting the Voda statement by 'beau' dated 30/11 and so following their instructions of Powering down etc?

I would like to see if I am the odd one out or understand if Voda's apparent fix actual works!!

03/12/15
Spoke to 'Insert Voda Helper Name Here' via 0808 040 8408 who spoke to the 'Higher TEch team' she stated VSS3 needed a reset by me and her at the same time without unplugging it. I held in white button till no lights, let go when told, eventually light 1 came on solid red. She stated she would call back at 1pm 04/12

04/12/15
Noted that 'ChazzD' on Tech Team placed a message on forum at 2.35pm http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-V3-not-working-even-after-resetting/... as follows:
"@mpw246pl?
I've done a resync of your Sure Signal.
Please leave it for 24 hours then reset the device.
It may take up to one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online."

1650hrs 'Insert Voda Helper Name Here' called back. I reported that the VSS3 reset conducted yesterday hadn't worked and error was the same as before, FLASHING red light & SOLID 4th light 'In Service'.
She then spoke to 'Higher Tech team' who told her to get me to unplug the Superhub & VSS3 for 10-15mins and then plug in again after which things should work. She provided 03333 040191 option 2, option 3 as a (free phone from Landline) to contact 'their' office if things didn't work - unfortunately 'Insert Voda Helper Name Here' was going off duty at 5pm (in 10minutes) so She stated she would call me back midday 05/15/15

05/12/15
1pm still not working. spoke to Voda, who suggested ping text on IP of VSS3 as seen by Superhub. Ping text failed, Voda stated that Superhub was not 'seeing' the VSS3. Voda suggested trying another cable. Changed the ethernet cable, ping test then worked. VSS3 reset again and now have 'Solid 1st red light and flashing 2nd light'

4pm
'Insert Voda Helper Name Here' called again to check how things were ...I now had the 1st, 2nd & 3rd light solid - 4th not on...now leaving it till tomorrow afternoon

4.40pm 05/15/15
:smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy: *W*O*R*K*I*N*G* VSS3 :smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy:

Very happy to have it back after an outage of exactly 1month. Would like to thank 'Insert Voda Helper Name Here' for her continued contact and help towards the end.

My case is proof that the solution Voda have found does indeed work.

To conclude, I'm at the end of my contract so as I mentioned during this farce, would leave VF.

After more than 20 minutes on live chat yesterday, they said PAC would be with me in 2 hours... still waiting, tried live chat but all they want to do is CHAT how I am 😞

They asked why I wanted to leave after so long, '0 = customer service'

nearly there!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I to had this acouple of weeks ago. My contract had ended and I went on chat to get my PAC code. Got passed around to FIVE! different people and eventually got told the code would be texted within 2 hours... Guess what it wasn't. So the next day I went on chat again and the first person I chatted to said "here is your PAC code" weird isn't it how she could give it to me straight way but the 5 the day before couldn't. So I am no longer with good old Vodafone anymore YAY. I have now got to cancel the forum emails which I forgot about. So good luck with reaching the right person to get your code. Fingers crossed for you.

mravant
4: Newbie

Called customer services for an update and they sent me a link to this thread and said "keep checking it for solution"!!!!!!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

I have now contacted the Communications Ombudsman as 3 weeks is unacceptable.

Serenity61
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
As suggested in a few posts, if you can plug the SS into another broadband provider it should update, then plug it back into your home router. I've taken mine into work today and it's working fine, so now waiting to try it at home shortly. Fingers crossed.

scuba2112
Is it just me or does that not just show how poor this is
Having another provider resolve an issue that's clearly between both Vodaphone and Virgin
Can't wait to get it resolved so I can move to the provider that fixes it

For those of you still trying wierd and wonderful ideas to find a solution to this issue, please don't play with your phone or your suresignal, it isn't going to help.

I had a breakthrough this morning when VM admitted that they ARE dropping packets in their network.  These are specific NTP packets which the suresignal uses.  If you look back at earlier posts you will see some of the technical information posted which shows the issue.

I have requested from VM a statement as to why they are blocking NTP packets and the scope/range of what they are doing and why.  Previously VM had maintained that as an ISP they do not block packets, they simply provide the means for data to go from A to B.