cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 stops working. Stays off for hours. Poor signal afterwards.

jackmcconnell
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I bought an SS v3 from my local Vodafone shop to improve the signal in my old house with thick walls. 

It has improved it marginally - I imagine I will have more luck if i were to re-position the unit somewhere towards the centre as opposed to next to my BT HomeHub 3 which has to be near the master telelphone socket. 

Anyway, yesterday the SS went off and stayed off for hours. Eventually, when it did manage to sustain the first 2 white lights the signal right next to it was just 2-3 bars. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use 2G or 3G - the signal strength is still the same. I have a 12mb down and 1mb up connection so I know broadband speed isn't a problem. This has happened many times in the 2 months that i've owned the unit.

Sometimes, the power lights flash constantly whilst some of the other lights are orange, sometimes, just the first light flashes white but never connects. Some of the sequences aren't in the troubleshooting section of the accompanying manual at all. Resetting it using the push button underneath hasn't helped (i've done it twice) and unplugging it and then plugging it in again and/or resetting the BT HH3 doesn't help either.

I've read on this forum that Vodafone can re-sync it - is it possible for someone to do this and try and correct the problem remotely? If it doesn't want to work at all, i'll have to take it back for a refund.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jack

21 REPLIES 21

Hi James, 

Thanks for your reply but what you're saying doesn't make sense. 

You're suggesting that BT's network is the problem but somehow any problems with the SS are fixed by using (and only using) a HH4 over every other type of router that you can purchase on the market.

Is that correct?

Hi jackmcconnell,

We’re aware of issues between Sure Signal and BT Home Hub.

The information we have can be seen here.

As customers have informed us that a Home Hub 4 resolves this issue, we offered that as an option to you.

You’ve mentioned that your Sure Signal doesn’t work with any of the routers you’ve tried at your home so the next thing to try would be a different internet connection.

Do you have a friend or family member who can help you? It’d be preferable if they have a different ISP than you as well.

If the Sure Signal works there, it’d tend to suggest there’s something in your current set up that’s causing the intermittent signal drops.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

Ok, can you give me specific details about the problem with the SS and BT's network? 

I'd like a little more information than a link to a post. 

Please feel free to go into as much technical detail as possible. 

Hi there jackmcconnell.

I'm afraid we can't give you that information.

Vodafone and BT are working together to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,

LeeH

Ok then, if I went into a Vodafone shop, will I be able to get a refund for the SS based on the fact it doesn't work and you aren't able to help me?

Hi jackmcconnell.

If it's under 7 days old; yes.

Cheers,

LeeH

It's not though - it's about two months old and hardly worked at all. 

As far as i'm aware I have 6-months to return something if faulty and as it doesn't seem to work and you've offered no help (nothing like what you've offered other forum posters by resyncing their devices remotely etc.) then I will be taking it back or making a call to find out my exact position. 

I moved to Vodafone business becasue I thought the support would be better. I'll seriously now have to reconsider my view when my contracts are up for renewal. 

Hi jackmcconnell,

Apologies if it seems like we haven't looked into things and have just latched onto the BT Home Hub issue as a possible cause. The details you posted were all checked and came up OK in terms of speed and performance, which pointed to that as a likely culprit with that router.

I'd agree, though, the three routers being tried and taking the Home Hub out of the equation does suggest it may be something else. The Home Hub 4 isn't the only solution with a BT connection, so I'm sorry if it sounded like we were saying that - it's just one which a number of BT customers have advised helped. Other routers will work on the connection.

I've done a resync, so can you try giving the box a reset for me?

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

As mentioned, trying a different internet connection helps as, if the box works normally there, it shows the Sure Signal itself is not the issue.

There are a few other checks which can help as well. These are generally automatic, but it's best to check:

- Make sure the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) on the Sure Signal is set to 1500. If it won't go that high, set it as high as it will go.

- Ensure the following ports are open for forwarding on the router - 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500. 1723 has proven specifically important for Home Hub users.

- Try an alternate physical port on the router for the Ethernet cable.

- Try an alternate Ethernet cable.

Just to clarify as well, you can exchange any device you get from us within 7 working days. After that, we offer a warranty repair service which you can use to get any faults fixed.

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for your reply, it was much more understanding. 

I'm not near the device at the mo but will try what you suggested when I get back and will post a reply. 

Ok, i've tried a new cable and port on my HH3 and have reset the device as you suggested after your re-sync.

I now no longer get red flashing lights or orange lights which is a positive step in the right direction for me. 

It now sometimes works, but then i'll see i have no signal, go over and check the unit and all that is flashing slowly is the first white internet light like it does when it gets set-up for the first time. Then it'll work for an hour, then spend the rest of the day flashing. Rinse and repeat. 

Any suggestions?