Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 works intermitently with Virgin Media Super Hub

Gary_G_Thomas
4: Newbie

Bought my Sure Signal 3 months ago after I signed up for a Samsung S3. It turns out that I cannot get a signal using GSM (3G) in SK97QT despite assurance that I would get a good signal in my postcode on 3G from the web site.

Any way, Sure Signal worked brilliantly at first, but then then disconnected approximately every 7 days or so since then.  Sometimes I can reset myself, but usually it has required a call to second line support (after getting through first line support) to reset or synchronise something centrally.  First line support always suggest the same old reset routines which rarely work. 

However, on Friday 23rd August the Sure Signal went down again- Solid RED light with a flashing white second (internet connection) light and no third or 4th lights. My Virgin Super Hub recognises the Sure Signal by the way ask and my internet speeds are superfast (you have checked) and everything else that is connected to it works.

The situation is still the same 11 days later after 4 sessions with first line and second line support.  I have also got Virgin to check that all the ports are open on 2 occasions.  A fifth session last Thursday morning with the specalist 3rd line support should have resolved BUT situation is still the same.  I contacted 3rd line support later on Thursday via the e-mail addresss they gave me but got no response.  On Friday I was assured by second line support that I would be contacted by 3rd line support (who had received my e-mail), but as the service level was 24 hours I should not expect a call until that Friday afternoon.

It is now Tuesday afternoon and I have not heard anything yet. I have spent hours logging in to on line support and making calls.  Please can you help.  I am at a loss to understand why the Sure Signal can work brilliantly and then stop completely.  Virgin have made all the port changes requested although they do state that a cable provider can only operate on PPPeA and not PPPoA as requested. They also say that ports are only enabled for both TCP IP and UDP for customers with business accounts and not standard retail customers and I would need to upgrade my account if I want this.  

Lots to digest I know but I feel I am being given the run around here - particularly as the Sure Signal has worked fine for long periods. I have been asked to do manual resets, re-register my phone again, take it to a Vodaphone shop to get a replacement and contact my internet provider to check ports etc (shop refused by the way as they do not do replacements unless it is within 4 weeks of purchase and then asked me to get back to customer services!).  There are 3 Vodaphone mobile customers at this addresss who are well aware that the 4th mobile in the family, which is on Virgin, works fine from this address all the time. 

Can 3rd line support please get in touch with me to sort out?  I cannot beleive that your Sure Signal can be incompatible with one of the counties major internet providers.

Regards Gary

23 REPLIES 23

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Vodaphone service line have asked al this before and should be in my file.  However.....

Download 35.33

Upload 2.96

Ping 19ms

External IP 213.107.159.160

Sure Signal serial number b0:46:fc:99:fd:c9

Traceroute......

tracert 212.183.133.177

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Gary>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms cpc10-wilm2-2-0-gw.1-4.cable.virginmedia.com [21
3.107.159.1]
2 10 ms 7 ms 6 ms bagu-core-2a-ae3-2347.network.virginmedia.net [8
0.0.235.81]
3 9 ms 6 ms 7 ms manc-bb-1d-ae10-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.
161.241]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms tcl5-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250
.15.210]
6 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
7 18 ms 16 ms 14 ms 85.205.116.2
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * *

Hi there Gary_G_Thomas,

Thanks for posting your results.

Everything looks as it should be but your VSS serial number "b0:46:fc:99:fd:c9" isn't one our systems recognise.

The serial number should start with either of the following:

Can you come back to me with the serial number so we can take a closer look?

Cheers,

LeeH

Sorry. That was the MAC number of the Sure Signal.  I have been asked for that a couple of times.

Serial Number is 40 13 11 44 616

Regards

By the way there is no change in the stauus of the Sure Signal.  First light is RED, Second still flashing white. No 3rd and 4th lights

Stephen Senogles is the 3rd line support guy at Vodaphone, who was looking in to this last Thursday.

He had a look at the settings via remote access to my PC.

Hi Gary_G_Thomas,

The light sequence you’re seeing show that the Sure Signal is being configured.

This process can take up to 6 hours to complete and if it’s interrupted, will start from scratch again.

I’ve checked your serial number and it connected to our servers at 22:34 last night, are you still seeing the same lights?

To make certain your Sure Signal is as up to date as possible, I’ve just resynced it for you.

So that the resync completes, can you do a factory reset for me:-

• Find the button on the base of the unit next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around one hour

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

Presisng the rest button has no effect on the Sure Signal box no matter how ling I press it.

It continues with the RED light on full and the inetnet ligh slowly flashing.  As it has done for the last two weeks.

However,I have dissconncted it from the pwer supply and reconncted it in the hope that this might work.

It is now doing exacly the same thing as before and as it has done after all the multiple resets that have been done in the last 14 days.  I will update you in an hour.  

What about the PPPoA issue with Virgin Media and the lack of 3rd line support response who were handling this problem after first line support and second line support could not resolve?

Gary

I did what you have asked.  All the lights came on half an hour ago and I managed to use the phone to make a call via the Sure Signal.  And it worked fine.  It then disconnected after 1 minute and went back to the RED light and flashing Internet light scenario as per last 14 days.

It then showed a fall set of lights 5 minutes ago and I used it to make a call.  Getting exited now but guess what ....... it disconncted again after 1 minute and its back to where it was before and unuseble again.

So it can connect and make calls but it cannot hold the connection.  Bizarre! It seems to keep losing the internet connection. Is the Sure Signal faulty perhaps?

It just seems to have conncted again.  I wonder for how long this time?

Regards Gary